Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2003, 08:16 PM   #41
Rataxes
Symbol of Cyric

Diablo 2 brings back a lot of memories. Ahhh, nostalgia!

BG2 is fun, but the first 5-6 months of D2 rank among my top 3 gaming experiences. People who weren't there from the beginning, who didn't buy it on the first day and weren't involved in the development of the worldwide D2 community, simply cannot understand what the experience was like [img]smile.gif[/img] Making your first character, not having a clue what you're doing - and constantly being accompanied by others who don't have a clue either - and slowly progressing through the game, developing your own skill and knowledge about the game in pace with the rest of the community. Following the progress of the first Ladder runners in awe - discussing them with others who were in awe. Discovering the awesome power of Whirlwind, hearing rumors and myths about the legendary "Stone of Jordan", discovering the Duel, making friends and dueling partners, experimenting with team and character combinations, with different skills, with different types of builds - and being sucessful!

It is really hard to try and encapsulate my D2 experience in words, as the paragraph above should prove, but it's suffice to say that D2 became a big part of my life for a few months, it really was the longest and most engrossing gaming experience I've ever had, fortunate that the most intense period was in the summer holiday [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Things really went downhill fast when the expansion pack was released, I dare say the release of LoD was one of the most disastrous moves Blizzard has ever made. On paper it looked good, more items, more characters, more monsters, more areas, but by forever altering the D2 community for the worse, it zapped away precisely everything that made D2 so great.

In theory, D2 is vastly inferior to BG2, it has virtually zero replay value in Single player, and is frankly very boring overall if you play offline. BG2 does everything better than D2, better graphics, better gameplay, better sound, story, NPC's, quests. But, D2 was more than a game - it was a platform for experiencing the joys of discovery, the joy of exploring an unknown world - and doing it together with thousands of others.