Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 02-25-2003, 06:39 PM   #41
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
Quote:
Originally posted by Wulfere:

The UN?... They will say they "deplore the incident" and draft a really blistering, limp wristed, powerless resolution saying NO! NO! NO! Bad North Koreans! BAD!
It's what they do best.

What do you think the UN should do then?[/QUOTE]Frankly my remark about the UN was flip and not well thought out. But, having said that let me say that the UN lacks anything like power. That is the way their Charter was written. They are not supposed to be an international peace keeping force. They simply are not set up to do that kind of thing properly. The Signators of the UN Charter are the ones who are supposed to make the resolutions stick. The UN is a diplomatic organization that is supposed to further international relations. They aren't supposed to DO anything but negotiate and foster good relations. Right now the UN should be acting as a diplomatic go between for the nations in that area. Not making resolutions condeming North Korea. That does nothing but stoke fires of resentment in the North Korean government.

As far as what they should do?...Do about what? It wasn't an attack on anyone, unless you know something I don't.

Was it a stupid thing to do? Yes.

What are they doing in North Korea? Showing off. Acting tough to get attention from the world. But, they haven't done anything that requires more than some stiff words from governments in the area of the launch.

As far as South Korea asking us to remove our troops...that hasn't happened yet as far as I know. If it does...most likely we will after some talking with them and agreements on the turning over of bases and equipment. But, it will take the Government of South Korea to ask us to do so officially. Public Resentment doesn't really come into play as far as security matters go.

Legolas is absolutley right. Wars are terrible things and much easier to start than to end. I don't want to see a war. But, if it must happen then it must be dealt with as quickly and decisively as possible with the minimum of lost lives.