Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2003, 11:42 AM   #31
MagiK

Horatio, there would have been minimal fuel on the shuttle at this stage of the mission...the shuttle lands unpowered. The only fuel would have been trace amounts from the main engines and maneuvering thrusters which I don't think uses explosive fuel. The fonic booms and shockwaves of the breakup would have been pretty severe at 12k+ miles per hour

Kaltie [img]smile.gif[/img] Thanks for the explanation, thought I was loosin it there.

Old 02-01-2003, 11:46 AM   #32
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
Kaltie [img]smile.gif[/img] Thanks for the explanation, thought I was loosin it there.
that too *hugs* missed ya, MagiK.

but seriously...a question to you Americans...would you pay more tax so that NASA could have newer shuttles?

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Old 02-01-2003, 11:47 AM   #33
Deathbringer

I only just heard it on the news over here and they said sadly that the 7 Astronauts have been killed

Old 02-01-2003, 11:49 AM   #34
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Deathbringer:
I only just heard it on the news over here and they said sadly that the 7 Astronauts have been killed
I guess they'd have to be...just look at the pictures. Nobody could survive that. And it's sort of upsetting that this had to happen with the first ever Israeli to go into space on board.

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Old 02-01-2003, 11:54 AM   #35
Deathbringer

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaltia:
quote:
I guess they'd have to be...just look at the pictures. Nobody could survive that. And it's sort of upsetting that this had to happen with the first ever Israeli to go into space on board.[/QUOTE]Didn't the same sort of thing happen when the first women attempted to go into space? It's strange how things like this happen, and depressing.

Old 02-01-2003, 11:56 AM   #36
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Quote:
Didn't the same sort of thing happen when the first women attempted to go into space? It's strange how things like this happen, and depressing.
Tell me about it
Maybe next time..?

Old 02-01-2003, 01:38 PM   #37
Rokenn
Galvatron

Quote:
quote:
quote:
I guess they'd have to be...just look at the pictures. Nobody could survive that. And it's sort of upsetting that this had to happen with the first ever Israeli to go into space on board.[/QUOTE]Didn't the same sort of thing happen when the first women attempted to go into space? It's strange how things like this happen, and depressing.[/QUOTE]There have been many other 'firsts' in the shuttle program with no mishaps. One ohter interesting tidbit about this mission, I remember hearing when it launched this was originally slated to be an all female crew.
Old 02-01-2003, 03:26 PM   #38
Piestrider
Zhentarim Guard

Live From CNN:
I just heard from CNN that terrorism is absolutely out of the question.

Now for a live update from someone who lives directly under where the shuttle blew up...

This morning around 8 o'clock, we heard a large boom and the house began to vibrate. The shuttle was going at 12,000 mph at an altitude of about 200,000 feet i believe. It was 16 minutes away from cape canaveral where it was to land when it exploded. The debris field begins near here in Waxahachie and extends all the way to Nacadoches in East Texas. The largest pieces are about 2ft. by 2ft. There are no survivors.

This is all I've been able to discern from the news. I'll stay tuned for updates.

Oh yeah... the news authorities are telling us that if we find a piece of debris not to touch it because it could be toxic. I think they just don't want people to keep a piece as a souvenier.

[ 02-01-2003, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: Piestrider ]
Old 02-01-2003, 03:51 PM   #39
HolyWarrior
User Suspended for 2 weeks by Ziroc [Dec30]

Quote:
[QB]Oh...man, this is terrible!
Now, correct me if I'm wrong-Challenger was sent up, and lost, in '88 (I was born in '87) and Coloumbia was nearly as old? If that's right, what were NASA doing sending such an old shuttle up?
1986, almost to the day. I was in college then. That was one of those events that you never forget.
Old 02-02-2003, 02:06 AM   #40
Deathbringer

Well it seems silly posting a new thread for this considering there are already two:
feel free to put this in your sig if you want