Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 10-14-2001, 05:58 PM   #1
StarVid
Elminster

At what level exactly do you start getting these abilities? I'm thinking of a fighter/thief (either multi or dualed at level 12) and wonder when I'll get some of those thief skills. Is it based on total character experience, or level in a certain class? Thanks.

on a side note, which is more recommended a dualed or multi fighter/thief?
StarVid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2001, 06:36 PM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

IIRC, you start gaining special abilities when your combined Xp is more than 3,000,000.

As for a Fighter/Thief, I will personally choose Dual, you get to have Grandmastery in your weapon of choice.

Although the idea of a multiclassed Fighter/Thief with Greater Whirlwind and Hardiness is appealing too.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2001, 07:56 PM   #3
StarVid
Elminster

Ok, a couple more questions. Though I should mention, everything I know I learned from GameBanshee, and I just read this:

Single class thieves suck, or they utterly rock if you like using high level traps. Thieving skills are virtually useless in ToB. The 7th level thief abilities of Imoen were quite sufficient to detect and disarm traps, and even usually to pick locks, though all of my game of ToB. For single-classed thieves, Use Any Item and Assassinate are just partial catchup to warriors. Partial. If you take a Swashbuckler, the THAC0 and AC bonuses do continue for a fair bit of time, though. The THAC0 ceases to matter at high level, but the AC bonuses actually can take you beyond the -10 AC or so range that Fighters usually reach, into the real where your AC actually begins to stop hits from the tougher enemies. So Swashbucklers can actually end up noticeably harder to hit than Fighters.

:end quote

I get the impression from this guide that the write is partial to kensai-duals (mage and thief). I think it's impossible to find an impartial guide...but anywhos. Furthermore, the guide suggests using the use any item tactic to let your kensai thief wear armor and other restricted items. Unless I'm mistaken, this falls under the high cheese tactic list, no? And besides, if I choose a kensai-thief, then I can't use a bow, and there will be times I'm going to want to hang out in the back firing arrows I would think, no?

but anywhos...

1. Is use any item as cool as it sounds? I figure that with scribe scrolls could make the F/T a somewhat useful backup magic user, no?

2. Considering that I'll have Jah, Vic, Imoen, and Minsc in my party, I'm guessing my best bet would be to put grandmastery in longswords, no? And maybe a few *'s in dual wield?

3. As is, until I have Imoen back, I only have 3 other people in my party, for a 4th with this party setup, I think Aerie would be a solid addition, a good temporary mage until I get Imoen and solid cleric backup. What do you think?

Thanks again.

[This message has been edited by StarVid (edited 10-14-2001).]
Old 10-14-2001, 08:21 PM   #4
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by StarVid:
Ok, a couple more questions. Though I should mention, everything I know I learned from GameBanshee, and I just read this:
Single class thieves suck, or they utterly rock if you like using high level traps. Thieving skills are virtually useless in ToB. The 7th level thief abilities of Imoen were quite sufficient to detect and disarm traps, and even usually to pick locks, though all of my game of ToB. For single-classed thieves, Use Any Item and Assassinate are just partial catchup to warriors. Partial. If you take a Swashbuckler, the THAC0 and AC bonuses do continue for a fair bit of time, though. The THAC0 ceases to matter at high level, but the AC bonuses actually can take you beyond the -10 AC or so range that Fighters usually reach, into the real where your AC actually begins to stop hits from the tougher enemies. So Swashbucklers can actually end up noticeably harder to hit than Fighters.
:end quote
I get the impression from this guide that the write is partial to kensai-duals (mage and thief). I think it's impossible to find an impartial guide...but anywhos. Furthermore, the guide suggests using the use any item tactic to let your kensai thief wear armor and other restricted items. Unless I'm mistaken, this falls under the high cheese tactic list, no? And besides, if I choose a kensai-thief, then I can't use a bow, and there will be times I'm going to want to hang out in the back firing arrows I would think, no?
but anywhos...
1. Is use any item as cool as it sounds? I figure that with scribe scrolls could make the F/T a somewhat useful backup magic user, no?
2. Considering that I'll have Jah, Vic, Imoen, and Minsc in my party, I'm guessing my best bet would be to put grandmastery in longswords, no? And maybe a few *'s in dual wield?
3. As is, until I have Imoen back, I only have 3 other people in my party, for a 4th with this party setup, I think Aerie would be a solid addition, a good temporary mage until I get Imoen and solid cleric backup. What do you think?
Thanks again.
I usually take the tactics and stragedies from GameBanshee with a pinch of salt, I only use them for their very useful item list.

However... Kensai/Thief in ToB can be really cheesy because there is no more restriction on your equipment, and as for bows... A Kensai/Thief can use bows because of-

*drumroll*

- Use Any Items.

Now onto your questions,

1) Indeed... Use Any Items is one of the best special abilities, it enables you to wear Helmets, class-restricted items( like Holy Avenger), etc... ...

The only way you cannot use an item, is if it has STR requirements or something similiar.

Do not waste your special abilities on Scribe Scrolls, use it for something better, like Traps.

2) The... power-gamer's answer would be to concentrate on Katanas( Celestial Fury), if you want to Dual-Wield, make sure you put 3* in Two Weapon Style. However, you do need a +5 weapon or better to complete the game, so longsword can be a secondary weapon. Be careful! You can only have proficiencies in Thieves' weapons.

Take into consideration that you can also use Shields later on when you gain Use Any Item.

3) You might want to consider taking Jan Jansen, to act as a temporary thief until you gain enough thief skills.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2001, 08:34 PM   #5
StarVid
Elminster

why can I only have proficiencies in thief weapons? After I get use any item, which will be soon after passing my fighter level I'm guessing, it won't matter. Though I'm thinking, if I were a fighter/mage, would I not be able to use (pretty much) any item anyway? Besides, I think the use any item ability is pretty cheap considering that you can override any class equipment restrictions. Hell, I could make a cleric/thief dual that can use longswords...

I still have two weeks before I get BG2 (it's in a box being sent to me, as I just moved). So now I'm trying to figure out which class I want to beat the game with for the first time. After that, I figure I'll experiment with everything.

As for equipment, what's with all this I hear about all this extra stuff being on a bonus CD? Where do I get/dl this?

[This message has been edited by StarVid (edited 10-14-2001).]