Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 12-31-2002, 10:27 AM   #41
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Krustin:
quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Second for instance, what about when this dinosaur goo we're dependent on runs out? Sorry, but we don't know exactly how much is in the earth, despite our best efforts to guesstimate it. Doesn't the pragmatic conservative in you say to hold off on using your resources too soon?
Interesting comment on this. In the seventies, when the so-called energy crisis was at it's height, scientists estimated we had 40 years supply of oil left. Today? We have over 400 years supply left!.

The reasons are many: including more efficient vehicles, better drilling and extraction techniques. The point is, there is no proof that when the time comes, we won't have a solution already in place.
[/QUOTE]Sir Krustin, you made an excellent point. I really enjoy bringing the eco-centric peoples own words back to them from the 70's. The doom and Gloom eco people collected millions and millions of dollars for causes that were at best fictitious and are now currently quite happy if no one remembers their predicitons which never even came close to happening. We still have the Amazon Rain forest, and it is doing quite well, we still have oil, food doesnt cost an arm and a leg and no one that I have heard about is using soylent green.

Timber Loftis: naaa the conservative in me tells me that there is plenty of oil available to see us through our research into efficient economic solar, fuel cell, geo-thermal and nuclear technology solutions. The only problem I see is continuing to allow ourselves be held hostage for a resource that we can start to develop on our own. Do I think we should squander resources? No. Do I think we should be as efficient as economicly possible? Yes. But I do not want to be held hostage to our need, when there is no real reason to be.