Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 07-13-2002, 07:28 PM   #1
BrandonL
Manshoon

I'm having a problem figuring out how to work the traps, I know that your supposed to use a character with a high locks and traps skill, and also that your supposed to inspect the traps, but how do you figure out what trap is attached to the chest?
BrandonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 07:32 PM   #2
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

examine trap first, then click on the trap name and find one that have all green. then click on the small square thingie ( the green thing ) to open the trap/chest.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 07:35 PM   #3
BrandonL
Manshoon

Ok, so what you do is inspect the chest, and then run threw the traps that might be attached to the chest, and if one of the traps has all of the things in green, then thats the trap attached to the chest?
Old 07-13-2002, 07:37 PM   #4
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

yes, you got it.
Old 07-13-2002, 07:41 PM   #5
BrandonL
Manshoon

Ok, the instructions really didn't help, and I had to find out the hard way on the second booby trapped chest to find out what the trap was, ugh, posion darts, not a pleasnt thing.
Old 07-13-2002, 07:44 PM   #6
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

count yourself lucky as it's not guardian trap. you may have to fight this super huge water/fire/air/earth elemental that kick butt.
Old 07-13-2002, 10:38 PM   #7
BrandonL
Manshoon

Well, I'm early in the game, just got out of the monistary, which is where I ran into those traps, and sure enough, I came up apon another one which had the same posion dart trap, and I did what you said, and sure enough, the deal worked.
Old 07-14-2002, 02:25 AM   #8
Oruboris

TIP: the best way to improve your locks and traps skill is to inspect a LOT: I usually inspect every trap at least ten times before opening it. Not unusual to get 1 or 2 points per trap that way, and its much faster than training on locks with tumblers. Occasionally, you will trip a trap that way, but so long as you can handle the damage with potions or spells, no big. The exception for me is guardian and philosophers bane, which turns most of your gold into lead. If you inspect once and realize you are dealing with that sort of trap, save the game before you do anything else.

Be on the look out for certain items that give you a bonus in this skill: if you've finished the monestary, you should already have one, though its not actually usable by a rogue...

Divine trap works by increasing the lock and trap skill briefly. The lock picker need not cast it: any party member with the spell will do. Then use the lock picker to inspect the trap: you'll see the skill is boosted in relationship to the level at which the spell was cast.

Didn't use this spell my first 2 times through the game, but I had gadgeteers who could use the points. Now playing a 4 person, the only one with locks and traps is at 31%, and frequently needs a little magic boost.

Oru
Oruboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 01:06 PM   #9
BrandonL
Manshoon

Hmmm, instresting, I didn't know what, and yeah, I think I know what your talking about, that cap that increases a non Rouge, Gadgeteer or Bard's traps and locks skill.

I'll try that also with the inspecting the next trap that I come on constently.

Ugh, those tumblers, those things are damn annoying, even with just two of them, I'd click one, and the other one would go down, and vice versa, just so annoying.
Old 07-14-2002, 09:37 PM   #10
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

yeah, I hate tumblers too, but if tumblers is 5 and above, I let my little sister do it.