Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2000, 01:52 PM   #1
The_Daemon

Yes, we’ve been told of the settings; some key figures; game-play aspects; the introduction of third edition AD&D rules; spells; class; creatures; dungeon building; dungeon masters. In fact, we’ve been told about almost every aspect of the game. Almost.
One of the key factors in NWN’s predecessors, that enhanced game-play and arguably encouraged real role-players to persevere with the game, was the engrossing storyline. Planescape certainly had an incredible storyline; one where with every action you learnt more and more about your character (The Nameless One). Each foe smitten presented some answers but often many more questions. In BG2, it was the desire to find out what Jon Irenicus wanted with you that made persevering with those uber-magi, who would force you to reload the game countless times until you FINALLY figured out their weakness, worth it.
However, even in BG2 hints of what I think may well become rife in NWN are evident. For instance, those quests not related to the core story were often, I believe, only completed in order to become a more mighty character and get more special items and bounty to add to your war chest. Now, although this is found quite satisfying by some (I must admit becoming a demi-god, with a huge fortune stashed away in my own stately mansion, spending my days collecting rare artefacts to satisfy my vanity and slaughtering monsters, that most people could conceive only in their worst nightmares, with an elite troop of superheroes by my side does appeal to me) true role players weren’t really fulfilled by this... it wasn’t character building.
I believe once we throw NWN into the DM universe, only a few, very talented DMs will be able to create realms that will encourage players to frequent their realm regularly for the wealth of characters and the mysteries and stories that that realm has for role-players to discover. Of course, perhaps for the first time ever, NWN will allow evil characters to be a fully viable option.
Who knows what will happen?
People only out there to become god-characters because that’s the only reason to continue playing? Or finally an environment where you can do whatever you want and fully role-play because you don’t have a set storyline to adhere to?
Old 01-18-2001, 07:15 AM   #2
Oratio Darkwook

Hello Deamon,

You are so right ! It is indeed the problem with RPG on computers where normally you are here just to become stronger. Creating a campaign or world that appeals to the players to visit them daily 'just for the fun of it' is very hard.

Hopefully we will be able to avoid the all-mighty 'stupid' heroes that can destroy entire planes with a slash of their swords! But that depends on the DMs and there we will see how resourceful they will be. I would likt to take on that challenge if I have the time.
Old 01-18-2001, 04:20 PM   #3
The_Daemon

Yeah, DMing seems to be the kinda thing that to do well you'll not only have to be talented but have a LOT of spare time. I guess DM leagues could be successful. For instance, a group of like-minded players get together to create an area according to the lines they believe it should be made. You'd have to sit down prior to decide what the aims of the zone should be, instead of just pragmatically building a city. Designers (both in actual building and in concept), day to day managers, and story writers would have to be part of the team. NPCs could have such ability to be very dynamic! Good enough to make people want to come just to see what they were like.
Awww... hell I'm excited about it! So much potential, its mind-blowing!
Old 01-21-2001, 11:18 AM   #4
Mortis Metacarpus

Daemon, there are actually people already doing what you describe. There are several persistent worlds in the works whose plans involve only admitting role-players, and booting any kewl d00dz, Out of character PKers, etc. I'd imagine that there will be a lot of groups like that by the time NWN ships.
Old 01-23-2001, 02:30 PM   #5
The_Daemon

Well, i haven't an idea about programming and my knowledge of the AD&D rules is a bit patchy still, however, I think I could be a good addition to a team as regards my writing skill. (Having said that - must not make any typos). I could create dialogues for NPCs and give them characters. I could also create interesting histories to any realms people are creating (assuming these towns don't actually exist in Faerun as yet). I'd like to get involved in a team, but I don't know how I'd ste about doing this.
So, if anyone's interested: I'd be a willing team member.
Old 01-24-2001, 01:01 PM   #6
Mortis Metacarpus

I remember visiting a few websites that are actively recruiting DMs to help running their modules/persistent worlds. Having said that, I can only remember one. Sorry.

Here's the link.