Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2003, 07:23 PM   #1
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
If I want to say something has uniquely contributed to something, would I say 'it is making a unique contribution', or 'it is making an unique contribution'?

LOL it is so trivial but I'm running them both through my head and I can't work out which is right! A sounds fine, and you wouldn't say an union for instance (would you? [img]graemlins/reallyroll.gif[/img] ). But an is beginning to sound okay as well!
Old 04-27-2003, 07:31 PM   #2
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

How pedantic! I'd guess it's the first one - "it is making a unique contribution" - it just sounds better to me [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-27-2003, 07:36 PM   #3
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Pedantic? Moi? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

LOL well it's for uni; I don't want the marker to be distracted by grammatical errors that he misses all my brilliant interpretation

I dunno if I can take just your word for it though [img]tongue.gif[/img] . I need a consensus
Old 04-27-2003, 07:36 PM   #4
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

I was taught that unique, since the U there sounds like "you". so we use A. thus it is a unique, a university etc.

gee..I can't believe I said that.
Old 04-27-2003, 07:36 PM   #5
pcgiant
Symbol of Cyric

You use a instead of an, but pronounce it AY instead of A.
This rule is similar to THEE instead of THE when in front of a word starting with a vowel.

EG The man went to town.
EG Thee animal went to town.

Just ask if you need a better explanation, since that might be a little vague.
Old 04-27-2003, 07:48 PM   #6
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

akkk more learning,lol but i agree use a before an in sentences requiring a presnt tense...oh did i mention i scored 117 on my iq test.....roflmao not possible for me but i did really
Old 04-27-2003, 08:04 PM   #7
Mojo
Elminster

I would be tempted to say "an", but then I am the kind of pedant who would say "an union," so I can't really help you....

Did you know that "bus" should be written "'bus"? You get a lot of points for that.....

EDIT: My use of the word "'bus" doesn't compare too well, so for those of you who cannot spot it, there's an apostrophe at the start of the correct version [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 04-27-2003, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: Mojo ]
Old 04-27-2003, 08:18 PM   #8
Seraph
Quintesson

From the good people at alt.usage.english, regarding "a vs an":

It's a pronounciation rule, not a spelling one..."Union", etc, are not pronounced "u-" but "yu-", thus an implied consonant and "a".
Old 04-27-2003, 08:19 PM   #9
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Well yeah let me just reinforce what others have said:

If the word following the "a" or "an" is pronounced starting with a vowel then you use "an", otherwise use "a". Seeing as "unique" is pronounced "yooneek" i.e. starting with a consonant, you use "a".

And pcgiant is right... in the same way you use "the" pronouncing the "e" like the "i" in "dirt" when the next word is pronounced with a consonant and "the" pronounced "thee" when the next word is pronounced starting with a vowel.

Damn I hate long explanations but I feel it is my civic duty
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 04-27-2003, 10:42 PM   #10
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Vaskez and pcgiant are both right. It is based on the "sound" at the beginning of the word not the letter. The reverse of that, is if you are a person the pronounces the word "herb" with a silent h, you would say an herb. It gets into elision on pronounciation. Hope that helps.
<b>Order of the Holy Flame</b><br /><i>Member of Clan HADB</i><br /><b>Laughing Hyena</b><br /><i>Clan Liaison, IW Peace Keeping Force</i><br /><i>[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com/Forum/index.php?board=29\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River VoiceChat!</a><br />Last Saturday of every month. <br />See the forum link for scheduling!<br /><b> </b><br /></i><br /><b>Admin and Co-Owner of [url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River</a></b><br />[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\"></a>