Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2002, 02:55 AM   #11
Scholarcs
Red Dragon

I just spent the equivilent of US$30 buying a second hand graphics card (gf2, mx200, 64mb), which tripled my fps in all games.

$30 isn`t that much.
<br />\"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five\" - Groucho Marx<br />Member of the ORT Clan. <br />\"Some birds are not meant to be caged because their feathers are too bright\"<br />Ma bouche sera la bouche des malheurs qui n\'ont point de bouche, ma voix, la liberté de celles qui s\'affaissent au cachot du désespoir. - Aimé Césaire<br />La plus perdue de toutes les journées est celle où l\'on n\'a pas ri. - Sébastien Roch Nicolas
Old 12-01-2002, 09:26 AM   #12
NiceWorg
Baaz Draconian

You could try getting Sandra here. With that program, you find out EVERYTHING about your computer.

You can get a new 3D card really cheap from auctions such as eBay. GF3 64mb should cost less than 70 bucks, and just like Scholarcs said, GF2´s are sold with around 30 bucks at best.

PS. If you ever get one, try to get one without MX-mark, because they´re noticeably slower.

AND processors...now they are really cheap nowadays. Check out how good processor your motherboard supports first.. That is really easy way to get better performance. For example, you can upgrade from Duron 600mhz to Athlon 1,3Ghz with that famous 30 bucks, or less.

[ 12-01-2002, 09:31 AM: Message edited by: NiceWorg ]
Old 12-01-2002, 09:31 AM   #13
andrewas
Harper

Problem with the GF2 is it needs an AGP 2.0 slot. Technicaly it works in a AGP 1.0 slot, but those are usualy on socket 7 boards, and therefore are very poorly implemented.

To simplify, a GF2 may not work on an old mobo. See if you can find what chipset it has and look it up, your looking for AGP 2.0/AGP pro or AGP 1x/2x/4x support.
Old 12-01-2002, 12:50 PM   #14
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Nanobyte:
EDIT: I'm not sure of my specs. I remembers someone mentioning a program a while back that I could use to find out, but I can not remember what it was. SpecDoc or something, I'm not sure.
If you get the PCGamer demo cd (comes with the magazine) it has a utility built in that tests your system specs and displays them so you know if you can run a particular demo.
Old 12-01-2002, 01:17 PM   #15
adam warlock
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
Be that as it may, do check the "personal classified" papers...you may find something. I'll keep hoping for you.

Cheers,
-Sazerac
note Saz, when they advertise their computers, first question that pops up in my mind: what's wrong with it?
Old 12-01-2002, 05:23 PM   #16
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

OK. I downloaded that Sandra program, but all it does is crash. Regardless, I found out why my dad doesn't want to spend any money updating this computer. The reason being, of course, it has a slow processor, slower than the minimum on most of these games. So, my options now are can I score a decent processor at a decent price?
Old 12-01-2002, 06:00 PM   #17
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Maybe theres a UNCC paper where you can find a deal, or even the Charlotte
Observer?
Old 12-01-2002, 07:08 PM   #18
Gammit
Elminster

Depending on your setup, upgrading to a faster chip may entail buying a whole new motherboard, and possible new RAM. How much are you willing to spend? This will dictate what to do. I once got a whole computer for $70. It was cheap. Nowadays, you can walk into a mom and pop computer store and get a decent system pretty cheap (Computer Builder's Warehouse around here as a very fast machine for only $500).
Old 12-02-2002, 01:00 AM   #19
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord of Alcohol:
or even the Charlotte Observer?
What would you suggest LoA, the classifieds? I'm seriously considering checking the bids at Ebay, but being the hardware novice that I am, I would have no idea what to focus on.
Old 12-02-2002, 06:43 AM   #20
NiceWorg
Baaz Draconian

Oh that´s bad. Sandra has always worked for me, even in older computers.

And that´s true Gammit. If your computer is really old, perhaps its best to get a whole new system. Now you already have a display, so that saves heaps. Again, I´d look at some trustable sellers from eBay who sell fast machines for half cheaper than you could get from retail stores. The price can easily go under 400b.

Just my 10 gold pieces.

[ 12-02-2002, 06:44 AM: Message edited by: NiceWorg ]