Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-30-2003, 11:22 PM   #71
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

Well, Master of Orion III was crap, as was Civilization II: Test of Time (Civ II itself was awesome.) Beyond that, Tiberian Sun was depressing (yay for like 4 colors ) and I didn't really like Warcraft I too much (way too much parity between the two sides.)
Old 10-01-2003, 07:00 PM   #72
Burner
Elite Waterdeep Guard

[quote]Originally posted by Rokenn:
Quote:
Originally posted by Burner:
[qb] The worst I ever bought was a shooter game called "Chasm: The Rift". But I considered buying Everquest until a friend of mine bought it and confirmed that you had to pay to play the stupid thing. I had actually advised him to go ahead and get it despite what he'd heard about having to pay for it, because I couldn't believe that you _had_ to pay, I figured it was an option(like you can play Starcraft alone or online). Luckily he was able to get his money back, about 2 hours after he got it unwrapped!

Burner
It always cracks me up when people complain about EQ costing a monthly fee. It states that right on the box! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Glad I could bring a little humor into your life, but I wasn't the one considering buying it, therefore didn't have the box to read. I just found it hard to believe that they'd do it that way and assumed it was analogous to Battlenet. AFA the guy who did buy it, he may have received it as a present, I can't remember right now.

Burner
Old 10-01-2003, 08:04 PM   #73
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by HolyWarrior:
Worst game I ever played--Betrayal at Antara.
Geography designed by an 8-year-old. Utterly insipid characters. Incomprehensible magic system. Hellastupid marble lock puzzles. And the WORST was I had to reset my screen to 256 colors just to play it! The programmers should be SHOT! I can't understand anyone who says Krondor was a great game, since it used the same engine.
It is an old game, but let's think on what makes it so horrible:
  • the bead puzzles you mentioned took way to long to complete
  • the same can be said for the riddle chests, you had to know virtually everything about Antara to get the right answer
  • spells progressed way to slowly, and there were hardly any really effective ones
  • the transition from day to night was too short, you'd have to have 25 rations just to travel 10 minutes down the road
  • repairing armor and sharpening swords is a neat idea, but not if there's an insufficient supply of whetstones and hammers
  • encounters occured way to often, I had to resort to the health cheat to have my characters withstand each battle
  • the whole story entirely, and all the NPC's for that matter
  • quests were cut off at the end of every chapter, so you could never go back and solve a quest from ch. 2 when you're in ch. 5
etc., etc.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:21 PM   #74
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Among the games that I actually paid for, I would pick Dungeon Siege. Was good to a point, but way too linear and basically amounts to click-click-click all the way through the game.

Bored me, and to this day I still haven't finished it.
Old 10-01-2003, 11:11 PM   #75
Pirengle
Symbol of Cyric

I'm a fan of bargain bin games. Some times I'm lucky, some times I get burned bad. And some times I get the flesh seared off my arm for even touching the box. Secret of -something's- Reign was one of those games. My brain refuses to remember the title, it was so godawful. Needed the keyboard, the mouse, AND the joystick, ripped off the Zelda series, contained more typos than my creative writing packet and--get this--was a "Christian-based fantasy."

Not that the Christian-based part was the problem, but the designers obviously used a D&D-like system, but retitled EVERYTHING to make it seem less like D&D and more like an acceptable experience. Life points, training powers, miraculous saves...after a while, I was telling the (horrifically mispelled) screen to just go ahead and tip the hat to Gygax like everybody else. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Serves me right for picking up a $3 game at BigLots.

Last month, I was gifted with NWN, and found out I'd need ~$300 of new computer equipment just so the game could run decently on my machine. The gift-giver didn't want to update my stuff. So I traded it for IWD2, which rules.
Old 10-02-2003, 05:07 AM   #76
Azaghal
The Magister

Exactly my philosophy, Pirengle. At least this way my girlfriend can't blame me to spend too much money on computer gaming, when it comes to dicussions about all the time I do spend on it.
I'm addicted to PC games since I first owned a Commodore 64 back in the mid eighties (but who do I tell that to on this forum?!). I've seen a lot of bad games since then, so I can't really name the worst. Latest bad game I bought was Stronghold (gets boring quickly due to limited player options + poor graphics).
Someone mentioned Europa Universalis 2 to be bad. I've never played the sequel, but Europa Universalis 1 is one of my all time favourites. I'm playing it over and over again.
Also the Ultima series is a real classic, though I agree that Ultima 8 (Pagan) is a little less compelling than the earlier ones.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:37 AM   #77
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Azaghal:

Also the Ultima series is a real classic, though I agree that Ultima 8 (Pagan) is a little less compelling than the earlier ones.
I LOVED Pagan, mainly because it was so...so... PAGAN! [img]smile.gif[/img] I have to be honest I was glad to get a break from all of those virtues and get down to some demonic summoning and human sacrifice to the Titan of Earth... I think that Ultima 8's dark and unforgiving backdrop gave the series alot more depth. Made the Avatar more 'human', and the Guardian alot more sinister.
Now Ultima 9, there was a loathshome waste of time and money! I think the complete and utter failure of Ultima 9 to live up to illustrious legacy of the previous installments is pretty much legendary these days so I won't go into the details...
Old 10-02-2003, 09:00 PM   #78
T/-/alali
Baaz Draconian

The original Diablo.