Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 05-08-2002, 02:55 AM   #61
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Ive been saving up some money for a while, just incase I needed a bit extra some time... ill send some out to you via snail mail ASAP. One ofcourse hopes it wont get lost in the mail. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-08-2002, 03:54 AM   #62
Melusine
Dracolisk

THANK YOU Cloudbringer, for those very eloquent and GREAT posts, I am with you one hundred percent. And thanks Epona, LoA too.
I am VERY strongly opposed to the idea that people could pay for privileges on this forum, and as a matter of fact, out of principle I don't even know if I could stay on a forum like that! [img]graemlins/1puke.gif[/img]

I have tried many times to set aside a little money for IW, and if it's necessary to donate again (last time the new server goal was made before I could donate), I will do my best to do so. However, I am just turned 22, have a serious chronical illness and have to live on governmental help. I can't afford to donate monthly and YES, I do think it's a slight to all those people in similar situations that there will be people who can pay to have special avatars. Again, the only smiley that conveys what I think about this is [img]graemlins/1puke.gif[/img]

Sorry guys, but that's just how I feel about it.
Old 05-08-2002, 04:21 AM   #63
Grojlach
Zartan

Privileges for making donations = bad idea. Plain and simple.
Sinee I finally have my PayPal account now I will donate some money really soon, but the last thing I want is gaining some sort of elitist position on this board because of it... And introducing a similar system will definitely create a gap between those who have made a donation and those who didn't.
Old 05-08-2002, 04:24 AM   #64
Jorath Calar
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
No offense to either Galadria or Magik but I strongly oppose any strategy which differentiates members based on their ability to pay monthly dontations for the privilege of special titles, insignia, etc.... I know that there are MANY members who either are young and have no income per se, or who are out of work or who just cannot afford the luxury of even that $10 for whatever reasons. It would set up a 'class' structure that I feel would be divisive at best. And what do you do about the ones who can pay sometimes but not always?

I know it was meant as a constructive means of making funds but a tasteful banner would be less problematic, much as I dislike the notion of advertising on IW.
Here here... it would be horrible to split the IW members into those who can pay and those who can't.
Old 05-08-2002, 04:32 AM   #65
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Well I agree with Cloudy too... never erase the equality in this forum. Not that it would just divide IW but then the feeling of guilt and non-importance are which bother me. I don't really care if they have special options whatsoever, but the feelings of the ones who cannot donate no matter how much they want to... I want to donate myself, but then I can't.. as we are still in deep sh!t right now as of the moment thank god i am still alive thing...

More advertising for IW? What about on peeps who have sites here? Can they advertise IW for more input?
Old 05-08-2002, 05:04 AM   #66
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

I'm not an expert, but isn't it possible to delete inactive members (Who say, haven't posted for two months) to take some weight of the server?
Old 05-08-2002, 05:13 AM   #67
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer128:
I'm not an expert, but isn't it possible to delete inactive members (Who say, haven't posted for two months) to take some weight of the server?
That's a good idea - and of course it's possible to delete members, but I don't know if it would actually make a lot of room free on the server, and I don't know if it'd help with the bandwidth problem. But I did wonder why they aren't cleaned out every once in a while - is it just to be able to say there are nearly 8000 members? I mean, there are a LOT of accounts that may have asked a single question last year and never were seen again...
But like I said, I don't think this would help at all with the bandwidth.

I wouldn't mind a banner ad at all, and like Memnoch said, I think we can make it again like we did with the server. I mean, it's not like Ziroc needs unlimited amounts of money, right? So why not donate, all who are capable of it? I am sure we can reach the needed amount.
What I *am* opposed to are monthly donations, elitist systems, a division between those who pay and those that can't. Sorry, but if people can't see that this would create inequality, maybe they should think again. I already think it's ridiculous that people have to come out and say that they couldn't afford it - do you have any idea what that feels like?
But a one-time donation would be manageable for more people, PLUS it would be anonymous, without comparing who can pay the most etc.
I managed the donation for Ziroc's wedding gift as well, I'm sure I can manage another single donation.
But I am dead serious that I would not stay on a forum where people get privileges because they pay the owner. Hell, if I give Dan a nice big cheque, maybe he'll make me immune to being banned?
Old 05-08-2002, 05:29 AM   #68
Epona
Zartan

Melusine, you put it *so* much more eloquently than I did, thank you. I do hope my strength of feeling about it came across in my posts last night though. I wouldn't want to stay here if that happened either.
Old 05-08-2002, 05:36 AM   #69
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
Melusine, you put it *so* much more eloquently than I did, thank you. I do hope my strength of feeling about it came across in my posts last night though. I wouldn't want to stay here if that happened either.
LOL... actually I was glad you and Amber posted before me, as I was sure I wouldn't be able to put it into words as well as you two have done [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-08-2002, 05:36 AM   #70
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Well, I do think that a look at the banners would be a good idea, as mentioned before. And a small raise to gather some money sure oki.

But to make a difference between members here. Nope, nothing for me.

Don´t eat the yellow snow