Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2004, 12:12 PM   #1
Sparhawk
Quintesson

Question Mark

I am wondering...I once heard some bloke tell me that the lightsabers in KOTOR does not only rely on STR as the main attribute...but that DEX can be used for the attack too ( if DEX is higher )

Could this really be true...or was this aussie pulling my chain `?
"Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius. There was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world. Hither came Conan, the cimmarian, sword in hand. It is I, his chronicler who knows well his saga. Now let me tell you of the days of high adventure!"

"Unleash the Casey!"

"Make no mistake, should you choose to test my resolve in this matter, you will be looking at an outcome that will have a finality, that is beyound your comprehension. And you will not counting the days or the months or the years, but milleniums in a place with no doors!"
Sparhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 12:28 PM   #2
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I don't believe so.
Unlike other d20 games (BG and NWN for example), dex. doesn't seem to modify a character's to hit ratio.

But I guess it could be possible, if you have the throw lightsaber trait. But I think that's an automatic hit, if you're within range of the target.
Nanobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 12:31 PM   #3
Sparhawk
Quintesson

IT is an autoamatic hit when you throw...

What bugs me is that this should only work for lightsabers and it would be like the weapon finesse feat in NWN...I can understand that since the lighsaber is *light*
"Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius. There was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world. Hither came Conan, the cimmarian, sword in hand. It is I, his chronicler who knows well his saga. Now let me tell you of the days of high adventure!"

"Unleash the Casey!"

"Make no mistake, should you choose to test my resolve in this matter, you will be looking at an outcome that will have a finality, that is beyound your comprehension. And you will not counting the days or the months or the years, but milleniums in a place with no doors!"
Old 06-06-2004, 03:31 PM   #4
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Unlike the standard D&D rule, lightsaber procifiency is handled slight different.

The attack bonus (to hit) is based on either your STR or DEX rating, depending on which is higher.

For example, if you have a STR of 18 while a DEX rating of 15, the to hit bonus is calculated based on your STR rating. This is not cumulative with the other stat, which means you WILL NOT get a combined to hit bonus based on your STR and DEX together.

The good thing about having an either stat to determine the attack bonus is the slight flexibility for player, such as:

High STR - bonus to attack rating and bonus to lightsaber damage potential.

High DEX - bonus to attack rating and bonus to armor class.

I usually invest only a few points in DEX while putting more points in STR and WIS. This is because the jedi robe has a bonus limit on high DEX rating (+8 max, I think), whereas there is no limit on the damage bonus given to lightsaber based on high STR rating.

Since the bonus is calculate based on the stat/2 basis, an odd stat rating (for example 17) will have the same benefit as 16. You need to raise it to 18 (even number) to see the difference. The good news is that some special items do grant odd number bonuses, like +3 STR and etc. which makes odd stats not nearly as useless as most people thought.

[ 06-06-2004, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: Paladin2000 ]
Old 06-06-2004, 04:04 PM   #5
Sparhawk
Quintesson

Heh....I´m just wondering...that since you get items that give +5 STR...it would be a LOT better with the high DEX...I mean in the beginning of the game it will mean anything to me...since I need high WIS and CHAR...I always go for counselar

"Unleash the Casey!"

Old 06-07-2004, 06:58 AM   #6
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Class combonation also plays a role in determining the attck bonus. These are often referred as Base Attack Bonus or BAB. Generally speaking Soldier/Guardian has the best BAB while Scoundrel/consular has the weakest BAB.

I prefer to have a more balanced fighter/jedi, thus my favorite class combination is a 5/15 Scout/Guardian, with high STR and WIS rating.

FYI, Jedi Guardian is more combat oriented while Consular is more force power oriented whereas sentinel are something in the middle. If you play as a consular, don't expect a high "to hit" rating because of the lower BAB rating. To compensate that, I would advise you to invest on the "dueling" feat because it grants you extra "to hit" bonus when fighting with only single one-handed lightsabre. The drawback of this is of course you would have refrain yourself from fighting with dual lightsabers or using a double bladed lightsaber.

However you still can choose to be a two handed fighter with the "two-weapon fighting" feat, which reduce the penalty of using a lightsabre on the off-hand. But with a lower BAB rating, you will have a tough battle against higher level enemies.

[added]
You can also do a little homework and read on the following faq found on gamefaqs.

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox/...r_gameplay.txt
(you need to cut the link and paste it on the "address" box (IE) because this site does not allow direct linking)

[ 06-08-2004, 06:18 AM: Message edited by: Paladin2000 ]
Old 06-07-2004, 05:10 PM   #7
Sparhawk
Quintesson

Paladin....Cool little FAQ there...

There is an item missing though....under the helmet section...

"Unleash the Casey!"

Old 06-08-2004, 06:16 AM   #8
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

FYI, some of the items are not listed in the various FAQs found on the net because they were written for the Xbox version. The PC version of the game have some additional belts, headgear and etc.

In any case, the above Faq I posted should give you an idea on how to develop your "ultimate" Jedi.
Old 06-08-2004, 02:20 PM   #9
Sparhawk
Quintesson

alrightythen....just thought I´d mention it for the sake of completing the list

"Unleash the Casey!"