Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum > Wizards & Warriors Archives

Old 11-16-2000, 11:57 AM   #21
Archimedes
Welcomed New User

Planescape: Torment and Deus Ex are very good recommendations. Planescape: Torment is good for very deep roleplaying stuff. You have a lot of dialog (more important than the combats). It was extremely well done.

Deus Ex is basically an FPS, but a very well designed one with lots of different strategies. The story is fun, too.

There are really three elder scrolls games plau a bunch of spin-offs. The first one was called The Elder Scrolls: Arena. That was a saving the world type game. Lots of character choices. Some very hard riddles. It would be considered very primitive graphics nowadays. The second one was The Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall. That ones about saving a country/province called Daggerfall. Even more chatracter choices than Arena. The plot, in Daggerfall, wasn't always as clear as in Arena, but there was a central plot, and there was a way to complete the game and "win". The game was very buggy when first released and, basically, unplayable. Later patches corrected this, but even after everything there are still a lot of bugs. Very primitive graphics. Good plotline that you don't have to follow. The third in the series will be The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind. It isn't out yet. I'm looking forward to it.

Phantasy was a trilogy of games (Phantasy I, Phantasy II and Phantasy III) which ran on the Apple II series computers and the Amiga (I think). They were a lot of fun in the mid-late 80's, but it is unlikely you have a platform that can run them anymore. It is also unlikely you can find them in a store.

If you like the Baldur's Gate games and dungeon crawls you might want to purchase Icewind dale. It uses the same engine, but most of the game takes place in dungeons of various types.

Good luck.
Old 11-16-2000, 01:16 PM   #22
warmonger3

I am playing Wizardry 7 at the moment, and it is one, if not the best rpg I have ever played, and I have never played it before, which is nice. Now is A good time to play because we will be able to import our characters into Wizardry 8 when it arrives. I would recommend DEMISE, but right now I can't because the multi-player aspect of the game is pretty much dead, and Artifact has yet to produce A good patch. I do, however love DEMISE, I have played this game for 6 months, off and on, and haven't even gotten close to the ending. You can only order this online, it is not available in stores.

Old 11-19-2000, 12:58 AM   #23
The Grub

I would have to say that out of the current Rpg's that i have played BG and BG 2 are the best currently out. I would consider them as one game because they are a continuation of a story line. I find them preferable because of the view that allows for tactical combat as far as making spell casting and ranged attacks more viable than if it used a first person view. The character depth is great and in BG 2, the character emotions and interactions are very intresting.
I would also suggest Fallout and Fallout 2. I fell in love with them because finally a RPG that didnt involve spells and swords and elves. Just humans and mutants and some good ole firearms. Nothing like targeting and shooting someone in the crotch with a rifle. Definately great games with a dark sense of humor.
Which reminds me, does anyone remember Wasteland? Besides the goldbox SSI games, Wasteland was definately my fav game on the old C-64. And does anyone know if there is a pc version lurking out there somewhere of this old classic?

I would throw up M&M 7 as an honorable mention. Its pretty decent as far as filling up the time till the new awaited releases are being developed.

And did anyone get through Ultima 9? I gave up about half way through just due to the
horrible drain on my system. Great looking game, but boy oh boy did it bog down alot.
Guess I will try that one again after i buy some more memory.

Old 11-19-2000, 05:00 PM   #24
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Wasteland was a good game!!

I played it on PC - doubt that it would run on any now if you could find a copy.

Wyv