Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 11-12-2001, 08:31 PM   #1
Ranger
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I just finished BG1 and loved it! I rushed right out to buy BG2 and saw Icewind Dale on the shelf. Hmm, what to do?

Which game is better?

As I understand it, if I purchase BG2, I'll be able to import my BG1 character and work him up to about 20th level by the end of the game. With Icewind Dale, I'll start a new character at level 1 and build him through about level 14 by the end of the game. Is this correct?

Is Icewind Dale substantially bigger that BG1? How else would I get to level 14?

I really enjoyed to storyline aspect to BG1. Does Icewind Dale follow the same format?

Do both games use the same AD&D 2nd Edition rules?

Any input would be appreciated.

Ranger
Old 11-12-2001, 08:36 PM   #2
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

you should try this post in the general discussion forum, or the player polls forum, you might getter more/better answers
Old 11-12-2001, 08:48 PM   #3
Mitro Jellywadder
Quintesson

Ranger,

I have both and both have their strong points. Different spells in both of them. Although, the majority of them are the same. If you enjoyed playing your BG character, then take him through BG II. When you are finished with that, take him through Throne of Bhaal. Then your character can get way up there.

Icewind dale was more of a linear game. Everything opened up in order. You have to finish this and then you can continue type game. Baldur's Gate II offers you more choices from a roleplaying perspective. You don't have to necessarily complete certain things in order. You can turn things down or accept them as you want. Other than the immediate story line, there are tons of side quests. You have more choices throughout the game.

Both are good. You can buy Heart of Winter to continue on your Icewind Dale series. So they're both good.

My vote goes for BG II though.
Old 11-12-2001, 09:04 PM   #4
Lothar

BGII in the house!!!!

Old 11-12-2001, 10:20 PM   #5
Seid
Manshoon

Baldur's gate 2 is far better than I cewind Dale. There is no competition [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-12-2001, 10:22 PM   #6
Barloc
Zhentarim Guard

i didnt enjoy icewindale because it was just fighting, fighting and fighting.
Old 11-13-2001, 09:02 AM   #7
kingpats
Elite Waterdeep Guard

bg2 all the way, icewind dale sux compared to gate2
Old 11-13-2001, 09:16 AM   #8
Sir Byronas
Mephistopheles

I would say you buy BG2. It is better in my opinion.
Old 11-13-2001, 01:45 PM   #9
Keylow
Manshoon

But Icewind Dale is pretty cool too. It may be more hack-and-slash,
but it's still a very good game.
I also think the snow in iwd looks really cool, does the atmosphere a lot of good.
I like some of the spell effects in iwd better than those in bg2
(Cone of Cold comes to mind...).

And iwd has really good music! I just love that Easthaven tune.
Old 11-13-2001, 03:07 PM   #10
Bokken
Baaz Draconian

I have to agree with Keylow here. Sure it is a hack & slash like he pointed out but it sure has it's good bits. The first thing that I noticed in BG2 after drinking a normal potion was how the effects had changed. There are many things that I preffer more in one than the other which I will not really get into though. I would have to say that BG2 is (to my opinion) a more enjoyable game, but Icewind Dale (to my opinion again) is one not to be missed! It might be different in quite a few ways but sometimes a bit of change can be good [img]smile.gif[/img]