Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 07-12-2001, 10:35 PM   #11
Darviathar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Silverblade:
man this is so frustrating, choosing between Anomen and Jaheira. I already have Jaheira. I use her mostly for healing and wheneve my 3 tanks need a backup. The only other spell I use is Entangle but it happens very seldom and ususally never works. I keep hearing about all these good things about both characters...and frankly its driving me nuts. Everyone keeps telling me that the upper levels spells for both are awesome. I can't make up my mind. Somebody that has use both proficiently ,,,,HELP....Thanx

I used both Anomen and Jahiera all the way through my most recent SOA campaign (which concluded about a week ago). I took Anomen simply because I believe that he is among the very best NPC's in the game. You've got to have a cleric, and of the NPC clerics available, he is easily the best all around, despite his low wisdom. Having tons of HP and 7th level fighter abilities more than give him the advantage over Virconia in all but the sex appeal department. I'm no big fan of multiclassed characters, but since I wanted a romance plot (and didn't want two pure clerics or a multiclassed cleric/mage) I kept Jaheira around. Jahiera helped out in SOA with her spells. At times I needed 6 death wards total for my group, or needed Anomen ressed after he fell in battle. Of my six characters (PC Undead Hunter, Keldorn, Anomen, Jahiera, Edwin, Imoen) Jahiera was probably the least overall important to me. Upon reaching SOA, I decided that she had simply run her course with my party. (easier choice to make, since the romance plot between her and my PC never developed for some reason). I replaced her with Sarevok, and have not once regretted the substitution. Anomen, on the other hand, is still my second best overall character, and in two deadly watcher's keep battles was the only character other than my PC to survive. He levels insanely fast, and by Throne of Bhaal had so much healing power that a second healer in my group was redundant. To conclude, I strongly suggest you choose Anomen over Jahiera. Unless she is your only chance at a romance plot, I cannot think of any reason to retain her over Anomen. She cannot wear strong armor, wield powerful weapons, has few HP, levels excruciatingly slowly, and generally annoys me to death by repeatedly declaring that "Nature could find a home here, if this place was properly cleansed and balanced". What the hell is that supposed to mean anyway...

Old 07-12-2001, 10:37 PM   #12
Darviathar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackAssassin:
Yah but he has no Prof. in hammers. I hate his annoying dialogues. I gave him the ring of folly and clumsyness then got rid of him. Arrogant bastard deserved it.

It is pretty easy to dump a proficiency point in hammers in order to wield Crom Faeyr. Having a 25 strength tends to make up for a lot of shortcomings. At least he can WIELD a hammer, unlike Jahiera, who is stuck with spears and scimitars.

Old 07-12-2001, 10:43 PM   #13
BlackAssassin
Zhentarim Guard

Scimitars are pretty darn good. Wait until you get the spectral brand in ToB. THAT will change you opinion of scimitars. Besides who needs 25 strenght anyway. How the hell are you supposed to get anywhere near 1500 lbs in your pack. The closest i got was about 600 with illithium and golem parts and anked shell and armour.

------------------
ShadowMaster of the Theives of Darkness.

[]####[]::::::>
Old 07-12-2001, 11:01 PM   #14
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I put every proficiency he earned in hammers cleric-wise which isnt much but it hardly matters, 25 strength makes it worthwhile. He does as much damage as anyone else, usually in the 30 range
Old 07-12-2001, 11:16 PM   #15
Gustave
The Magister

Why choose Anomen over Jaheira? Here is some reasons..

1. The super warhammer
2. He levels quickly
3. He has a tendacy NOT to die, unlike Jaheira
4. A few druid spells ain't worth taking Jaheira over Anomen

There's a few reasons why Anomen is better. I have yet to see anybody on this board post a logical reason as to why Anomen supposedly sucks..
Old 07-12-2001, 11:40 PM   #16
Ravana
Dungeon Master

No PC really sucks in the game, except maybe haer'dalis , usually it depends how you use them.
Anomen's big flaw is that he can be quite annoying from time to time, but as a tank he is reasonably good, and as a cleric he kicks ass. If you do choose Anomen, make sure you pursue the lawful good path in Anomens quest. Not only does this make him a far easier character to live with, but it also increases his wisdom which makes him a better cleric.
Old 07-13-2001, 02:45 AM   #17
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

I have to agree on the Anomen bit...I dump Jaheira in Chapter 1 and don't miss her. A fighter-cleric is one of the BEST, plus his wisdom soars after he passes his Knighthood test and becomes Lawful Good. He also "shuts up" a lot more. Depending on where you place his profs, he can weild the Flail of Ages early on, or you can ready him for Crom Faeyr (which I'm not, that's going to go to my main character the Berserk.)

Okaay...personally, guys, I think a lot of you take the NPC dialog a little bit too seriously. Most of it I think was intended to be funny...almost like caricatures of the most outlandish types of people you can run across...the stuck-up knight, the ingenuous blonde, the oaf with the heart of gold, the pesky kid sister, the the haughty, aloof "witch" who gives you a run for your money, the short bald guy whose manners are so atrocious you can't take him anywhere...

in fact, the only beef I'd have about the NPC's are that they all seem in need of deep therapy counseling!

Seriously, though, if the NPC banter gets to you, crank up WinAMP or turn off the sound in the game. The game's sounds are not crucial to the game's success, unlike others I've played. Don't let an irritating bit of dialog jade you on an otherwise VERY useful character.

Ok, nuff said...

Old 07-13-2001, 09:20 AM   #18
alexwc4
Dungeon Master

Both have excellent potential. But I chose Anomen.
s
p
o
i
l
e
r
By the time I got to spellhold, his undead related powers were really starting to shine. A cluster of shadow-fiends just popped like soap bubbles when he "turned undead" at them. He summons big beefy skeletal warriors. I am putting his points into hammer, flail, and two weapons. I want to see him in TOB with Crom Faeyr, and the new improved flail of ages! Jaheira is good for summoning insects, fire elementals, and if you can find a decent weapon, backup tank. You really can't go wrong.

------------------
"Yet still, it turns." - The TiltaWhirl attendant at Six Flags
Old 07-13-2001, 09:35 AM   #19
Waluin

I'll go with the J-girl till the day I die. Sorry for bringing up
Throne of Bhaal in this forum, but I just gotta say she really starts kicking butt once that exp cap is removed. She gets both fighter and druid special abilities onces she breaks through the level cap for 'em. I wont go into details to spoil anything, but she REALLY kicks ass.

On top of this, her swarm spells only get stronger (in SoA, no less). That, and she's a pretty good fighter once you get a decent scimitar in her hand. (Its not that hard to get it). In addition, there is a very good staff near the end that is pretty good too.

Besides, I have Keldorn. One of those goody goodys melee men is enough. That, and Jaheira is also a romance choice this current game.

[This message has been edited by Waluin (edited 07-13-2001).]
Old 07-13-2001, 11:13 AM   #20
Cavern Sniffer
Elminster

I'd take Jaheira all day long too. Clerics & Paladins are a dime a dozen, good Druids not so. Yes J takes a long time to level up but she's multi-classed and Druids take a while but their spells are awesome. Darviathar effectively has 4 tanks with 2 mages so yes you can happily offload J in that situation but as for armour I'm sorry but J can wear some of the very best that's out there. Give her a girdle of strength and she does like 18 odd damage with a +3 bullet, give her proficiency (increase it, she has it already) in spear and equip her with the Impaler that does +9 damage and she's a pretty awesome tank. Add to that her mage disruption, holding and healing spells and she is a great NPC. Slow starter, great finisher. Each to their own.

------------------
It's bleedin dark down here, slippery too.
Man, that's a pisser.