Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2001, 01:38 PM   #1
The-Shark

Aside from the Rod of Destruction, are there any weapons in the game that are particularly useful against golems? How about spells? I know that all golems have massive magic resistance, but isn't each type of golem supposed to have a specific type of spell that it's vulnerable to?

Old 01-12-2001, 01:50 PM   #2
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

I've had my characters take out most golems with magic swords, arrows, etc. The only real problem I had was facing clay golems (hurt only by blunt weapons). I picked up a +2/+3 staff or two shortly thereafter. I find cloudkill particularly effective on almost anything in the game. Sneak in with a thief. Scout out the enemy position. Lauch cloudkill. Wait (or run, whichever you prefer).
Old 01-12-2001, 01:51 PM   #3
UserFriendly

Multiple spoilers ahead...

to kill dragons
cast 5-10 cloudkills outside of visual range
to kill mindflayers
memorize mordenkained sword. summon often. if the sword is killed by high level monster, the corpse leaves a greenstone amulet, which when equipped will offer high level protection to psionics (uses no charge!)
to kill golems
use project image to summon more monsters than 5...this is a well known workaround. this works for stone golems
admamanite or iron golems are usually too big to go through most doors. runaway until he gets stuck then cloudkill by wand works well
clay golems are the worst. they are immune to my summoned creature's edged weapons.

one tactic I've found good against the game's usual mixed assortment of clay, flesh and iron golems is to have a bunch of summoned monsters with main party, then send out a mage with a fully charged cloudkill wand and invisibility. she runs near the room of golems, casts one cloudkill, then closes the door. this will hurt near death the lesser golems. open, then lead the clay and stone golems back to ambush. have party equipped with blunt weapons attack the clay, while skeleton warriors attack the stone. after they're done for, the iron golem will still be stuck in original room. cast several lower resistance if you're sadistic and use a sadistic spell.

Old 01-12-2001, 01:53 PM   #4
The Ranger
Welcomed New User

The best katana in the game (Celestial Fury or something like that is pretty usefull because it stuns and there are the Crom Fayer.
Old 01-12-2001, 02:01 PM   #5
Cleric
Welcomed New User

Corm Faeyr , and blund stuff , and the dwarven trower must be work fine to

Greets - Nik ( I am just happy now)
Old 01-12-2001, 02:06 PM   #6
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

I believe...if I remember my AD&D rules correctly (and it was implemented in BG2)...that stone golems can be whacked pretty good with "Stone to Flesh" and I think that the inverse is true as well (i.e. Flesh golems and "Flesh to Stone" spell).

I think the only thing that iron golems are slightly susceptible to is lightning. Fire just heals them up. For admantium...I have no idea!

Now for the rest of my rant. Does anybody else find it absolutely STUPID that cloudkill works on golems? Golems don't NEED to breathe! They are magical constructs...I never even tried cloudkill b/c I figured that it would never work.

Next you're going to tell me that cloudkill works on undead, right?