Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2005, 09:03 PM   #1
mountain_hare

I've played Baldur's Gate II for roughly 4 years. In the beginning, I followed the advice of 'spell guides' written by some veterans.

In my opinion, some of the spells in their guides are underrated.

For example, Hold Person (which actually has a saving throw of -1) and Hold Monster are excellent spells. I would rather use them instead of a skull trap, fireball, or lightning bolt, since they are often fry your own party. The only way to capitalize on such spells is to send your wizard ahead of the rest of your party. And we all know that sending a weakling into the thick of it is rather silly.

Domination isn't bad either, but the fact that attacking the monster causes it to go hostile is a pain, especially since warriors are usually hacking at him when the domination spell hits (which is why I prefer hold spells). It is great against ranged attackers.

Another one which I believe in highly under-rated is 'Polymorph Other'. While useless against magic users (since they can still cast spells), it is wonderful against warrior opponents (which are numerous in TOB). And how many warriors have a high save VS. polymorph?

Of course, for it to be effective, you need to cast Greater Malison beforehand. However, you have to do that with every save spell, including the Finger of Death and Chromatic Orb. In fact, Chromatic Orb gives a +6 bonus to save, and receives a very high rating. Why?

Flesh to stone is also quite underrated. You can put a monster in a group of monsters out of action just like *that*. If you want it's loot, just stone to flesh it, and kill it.

Hmm, I probably have more. However, I was hoping from input from others.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:15 PM   #2
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Infravision. Definately Infravision... Seriously!

I like to put three Infravisions in a spell trigger when I'm multiplaying and use it in the middle of battle. Just to make people wonder.

[ 02-10-2005, 09:16 PM: Message edited by: Illumina Drathiran'ar ]

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 09:36 PM   #3
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Actually, what you said makes alot of sense (not Illumina, sorry). I use hold person alot, and flesh-stone is a good delaying tactic, however, it requires you to memorize 2 spells (to turn them back to whatever).
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 09:44 PM   #4
Q'alooaith
Emerald Dragon

Glitterdust..

Invisiblity Purge, no realy it's good and overlooked too often..

Sleep, you don't face hoards of low level foes very often in BG2, but it's still a good spell to hit summons with rather than wasting a death spell..

Emotion, a party freindly good area of effect spell that causes people to lay down...

Grease, don't stop you from casting spell's if your too close to it, slow's nearly anything down that stays in it long enough.

Almost forgot.

Teliport field, think of it like a party friendly entangle. It's great when your boxed in as well, even if your stoneskins are keeping the damage out they don't last forever but a quick teliport field and suddenly the people hitting you with sticks are getting `ported all over the place, leaving you free to run away and cast a destructive spell back into the area you just left, with luck they are getting thrown back to the middle when they give chase to you.. hehe..
Old 02-10-2005, 10:19 PM   #5
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

What kind of spell guides are we talking about here? If it is a Mage spell guide, I would say... anything goes, because you can just memorise something different the next time.

If it is a Sorcerer spell guide, then there are other issues other than that of a spell's effectiveness, namely, your limited choice.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 10:28 PM   #6
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Illumina Drathiran'ar:

I like to put three Infravisions in a spell trigger when I'm multiplaying and use it in the middle of battle. Just to make people wonder.
First off, welcome to IW! [img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img]

Illumina...what's so special about infrasion? I never use it and see no use for it.

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 10:50 PM   #7
Magness
Quintesson

Emotion is a GREAT spell. A level 4, you'll have it nearly the entire game. And it's great for dealing with mobs, particularly the ones that have gotten in close. Fire off an Emotion spell and you might easily knock out half the enemy force in a heartbeat! And they don't wake up for a long time and not even after getting hit. Just don't cast a Dispel Magic in the area!
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 11:10 PM   #8
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Lord:

Illumina...what's so special about infrasion? I never use it and see no use for it.
I think perhaps that was just Illumina failing once again to have a sarcasm-free day

Yeah I like emotion! I usually have a few memorised, mostly because level 4 spells are so sucky! It and secret word are about all I can find a use for, and even secret word quickly becomes superfluous. Yes, yes, stoneskin blah blah blah. I've never bothered with it since I don't solo.

I dunno how under-rated it is, but I always buff my dudes with resist fear which has been useful on many occasions.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:18 AM   #9
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Lord:
quote:
Originally posted by Illumina Drathiran'ar:

Illumina...what's so special about infrasion? I never use it and see no use for it. [/QUOTE]Ahh, I see. You're more of a color spray kind of guy. I'm totally down with that... Those get put in my sequencers.

[ 02-11-2005, 02:21 AM: Message edited by: Illumina Drathiran'ar ]

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 04:29 AM   #10
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

that would be indeed funny.. having sequencers.
.. minor sequencers and spell triggers all casting color spray.. how colorful!

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote