Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 08-07-2005, 11:05 PM   #1
D*Ranged

I'm thinking of Bard/Fighter (Ranger)/RDD.
The idea is a singing fighter with some arcane spells.
Any ideas about lvl distribution?
Old 08-08-2005, 04:37 AM   #2
J'aran
Mephistopheles

I recently finished a romp through SoU/HotU with a Barbarian/Bard/RDD, by endgame he was bbn5/brd12/RDD10 IIRC, and he was surprisingly effective. Because of wearing chainmail and using a shield the chance of arcane spellcasting failure was quite high, so spells were used to buff up before a fight rather than offensively during. Which is also why I focused the feats towards melee combat (power attack, cleave, etc.) and didn't take things like combat casting, spell penetration and the metamagic feats.

If you opt for Fighter instead of Ranger, it makes sense to get to ftr4 ASAP for Weapon Specialization, and take another level in Fighter when you hit the epics for Epic Weapon Spec. More than 10 levels of RDD for such a build would arguably be wasted, so you'd end up with much the same as mine described above, only with Fighter instead of Barbarian. Taking more Fighter-levels will net you some bonus feats and a better BAB, but you'd have to do that before you become epic, otherwise you'll forego the increased BAB. It's just a question of whether you want the focus to be on fighter or bard.

But I would recommend Fighter over Ranger for this build though. A Ranger's strengths are his free dual-wielding, which can easily be attained with the Fighter's bonus feats as well, and his spellcasting, which in this case would require you to pump extra statpoints into WIS and to get quite a lot of levels in Ranger to become useful.
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 07:39 AM   #3
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I kinda like a bard/rdd/rogue I did. Starting str of 16, Dex of 16, Int 13, the point is, when he was finished, he had dev crit, and epic dodge. A really fun char to solo with, if a little lite at first. You have to take a butt load of feats, but in the end, it's worth it. I built for the epic dodge first, and then went on to dev crit. You will need to add one point to str on lvl ups, the rest go into dex, with a few in cha, depending on how many bard lvls you really want. I lopsided his, but countered by going human, to avoid xp penalties. Highest class is ignored, and I think I wound up bard 7/rogue 23/RDD 10. He was awsome in melee combat, and was really good with a bow, due to high dex.
Edit: There is nothing like a dev crit on a sneak attack, they never knew what hit em... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 08-08-2005, 07:40 AM: Message edited by: robertthebard ]
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 10:18 AM   #4
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Ummm, Robert, those numbers add up to 40. How did you manage to reach that level? Were you playing in other mods or just the original?

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 11:02 AM   #5
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

That's the total build, all through the char's career, you may not be able to meet these in the OC, just there for an example. I play most online these days, so the builds I post will be based around that premise. Hope it doesn't throw any confusion in the game.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 11:32 AM   #6
D*Ranged

Whoa, thanks guys.

I could go either fighter (HP, BAB and feats) with bard or Rogue (Sneak attacks and nice Thieving abilities). (Dilemma, dilemma! )

More Q's.

1. I'd assume that RDD lvls are taken at epic lvls?
2. DOes the bard get a familiar?

Thank you.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:43 AM   #7
Zink Whistlefly

Quote:
Originally posted by D*Ranged:
Whoa, thanks guys.

I could go either fighter (HP, BAB and feats) with bard or Rogue (Sneak attacks and nice Thieving abilities). (Dilemma, dilemma! )

More Q's.

1. I'd assume that RDD lvls are taken at epic lvls?
2. DOes the bard get a familiar?

Thank you.
I'd go with Bard/Rogue/RDD as Robert suggested (devastating critical and epic dodge is some going, but the crappy HP might prove quite tricky at first).

1. You can take up to 10 RDD levels prior to being an epic character, but you need to be epic to advance past 10 levels of RDD
2. Not that I'm aware of. Just wizards/sorcerers (excluding animal companions).

[ 08-08-2005, 11:44 AM: Message edited by: Zink Whistlefly ]
Zink Whistlefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 04:05 PM   #8
D*Ranged

Ohhhhh kay. Take 10 lvls of RDD before lvl 20? Or Take 5 of them during epic lvls? Just last Q. Thanks.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:36 PM   #9
javan
Zhentarim Guard

Use the "rule of four".

Bard, Rogue and Red Dragon Disciple all come from the 3/4 Base Attack Bonus (BAB) catagory. For every four levels their attack bonus goes up three points pre-epic. To maximize your BAB you should take these classes in groups of 4. For example: Rogue 8/Bard 4/RDD 8 would give you a BAB of 15; but a Rogue 10/Bard 5/RDD 5 would only have a BAB of 13.

I hope this helps.
javan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 01:50 AM   #10
Chewbacca
Zartan

Fighter is good way to go too. Massive strength and Con potential is only limited by how much CHA you need to cast bard spells and Dex for armor. The RDD stat bonuses are awesome for a fighter indeed. Tons of HP! Fighter adds Weapon Specialization, and tons of feats. Bard allows for Use Magic Devise, various rouge skills and of course songs and buffs.

Ironically I just posted a screenshot of a melee-oriented Epic B/F/RDD I play in the EFU forum.

[ 08-09-2005, 01:53 AM: Message edited by: Chewbacca ]