Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2003, 06:34 AM   #1
Ironbar
Manshoon

Could you or someone else please explain what flamebaiting is and how it is therefore trolling. If i can understand why i recieved a warning then it would allow me to accept it and move on. However, at the moment i feel victimised as i have recieved a warning for what i considered a tame response. I hope this post doesn't create further problems. As stated above i would like to know what i did wrong and i will post a public apology when i recieve this information.

Thankyou for your patience and understanding.
Ironbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 07:59 AM   #2
andrewas
Harper

Flamebaiting is posting something that is intended (or seems to be intended) to provoke a heated response. Personaly, I would probably have been a bit harsher than dundee was, but then he's a mod and I'm not.

But look at it - you make a typo calling "Aerie" "Earie", someone makes a joke to point this out, and your response - well, just re-read it, will you. Just a little over the top?
Old 12-28-2003, 06:30 PM   #3
Mr_Krift
Zhentarim Guard

I thought he was just trying to be funny but eh
Old 12-29-2003, 01:25 AM   #4
Sythe
Ra

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr_Krift:
I thought he was just trying to be funny but eh
Well I agree with Ironbar quite a bit though. I read Lords post and I knew it was jest but I thought it was a little insulting.
Old 12-29-2003, 11:05 AM   #5
Ironbar
Manshoon

Using that flamebaiting description, wasn't the response to my initial mistake flamebaiting?

Also, i only responded in the way i did because i thought the response was petty and unneccessary and i therefore felt entitled to respond. It wasn't a personal attack on boardmember Lord (and i appologise if it came across that way) but a satirical response to those who take it upon themselves to single out individuals for ridicule. It may have been a one - off from Lord but i did't want to set a precident and allow similar actions to become commonplace.

Personally, i believe that if you see something to be wrong then you should challenge it, if you are in a position to do so. If you do not challenge it then you are supporting it, unless you can do nothing about it. I suspect a second warning is on its way.
Old 12-29-2003, 04:15 PM   #6
Link
Jack Burton

I would not see the remark by Lord as 'flamebaiting', but it was just childish. If you are truly grown-up, you stand above that sort of remarks.

Indeed, if you are wronged you should challenge it. But only if you know you are wronged. What you could (and probably should) have done was send Lord a PM telling him that you didn't like his remark that well. Solve it between the two of you, that would be the civil way of getting rid of this problem.

And you probably won't get a warning because of this. In my opinion (but I'm not a moderator) you can ask perfectly well what you want to know about the warning. Then again: a Private Message would be more suitable to do such thing.

Don't let it get you all tangled up, Ironbar!! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] Cheers,

Link

[ 12-29-2003, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: Link ]
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 10:30 PM   #7
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Lord's post is not considered flamebaiting or troll-like because it was made with the intention of harmless humour. This can observed by the way he composed his post.

To respond in the manner you did though, is very petty.

1) You misspelled his name.

Lord pointed out a spelling error in your post, but he did not personally insult you in any way. Your thread on the other hand, not only mispelled his name, but in a manner which is both insulting and degrading to him. Not to mention the way you chose to address him in the thread's title.

2) You further flamed him by postulating about his quality in life which is totally uncalled for. This steps beyond the line of reason.

If this was meant to be humour, it was very poorly executed.

If you have any further inquiries, feel free to ask any of the Moderators.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 07:44 AM   #8
Ironbar
Manshoon

Did you read my second post?

I still don't understand but i am prepared to move on.

Keep up the good work.
Old 12-30-2003, 03:02 PM   #9
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Great, I put up one joke, a board member takes it seriously, tries to 'get me back' for it, and all this goes on. Can we just drop this? There's no point at all to have this on the boards.

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote