Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2002, 08:21 PM   #51
Dakkon Darkblade
The Magister

I decided to make the Buckler +2, Buckler of Fire, giving it the ability to do both fire shields once per day simultaneously, also giving it the spike Cerek spoke about.. I thought that was a nice idea... and it now is sort of a buckler that attacks as a dagger, but counts as a shield, and gives an extra attack per round. It gives the normal +3 to AC that a normal Buckler +2 gives... I just need to test it and everything.

Does anyone have a character who can use the Ballista +5? They have to be a Half-Orc with 19 Strength, probably a fighter or something that can use a crossbow. If anyone has that kind of character, give me your e-mail address so I can send the TBG file to you for testing.. I haven't been able to fully test it yet, and in the mail I'll tell you what to look out for. (Like Equipping Effects, and damage bonuses)

I need to fix my Psionic Protection Helm... I know that for a fact. I need to add the correct icons and things to the portraits (which is easy) and also need to figure out how to protect against the mind flayer's evil biting. If anyone knows how, I'd love to hear it.

Jalerho... *sighs and shakes his head* I want to kill him. He's a great character, but I'm going to have to start over on him, find a way to make him so he doesn't think he's in my party, like a normal shopkeeper should. His name still won't show up, even though it's updated in the dialog.tlk file, and I think both Near Infinity and Creature Maker have given me raw deals on that part, as well as not changing his Enemy/Ally to Neutral for real. *sighs* Ah well.

I tweaked Sebastian's Dragon Ring a bit, and now it should work, where it was not giving me the animations of the StoneSkin and Mirror Image, which I had forgotten, my mistake.

I'll lower the abilities of the Staff of Crippling, maybe changing it so with every hit it takes down like 2 or 3 of the abilities, instead of all 6. I was thinking definitely Strength, so you can pin them with encumberance, and maybe Constitution... perhaps taking down intelligence... I'll think on which make the best pairs or groups, and also you guys can help too.

By studying the hallowed reademer, Keldorn's weapon, I figured out how to best implement the Armor of Corruption's ability of poisoning or diseasing your enemies on every hit they deal to you.

The Yin and Yang scimitars I played with... at least the Yin one, following the best I could from what I've learned from actual Yin-Yang Balance... *knows a lot about eastern spirituality* And I tried to make them match their respective instincts, the masciline/feminine principle, but more importantly probably to baldur's gate, the darker/lighter principle. Yin was going to level drain the enemy and the wielder whenever they struck someone, while doing cold and acid damage to both the enemy and the wielder. At the same time, it would give protection to Fire and something else, and probably something else, so that the weapons, when combined in a dual wielding scenario, would be a force to be reckoned with. Unfortunately, the thing about it is that it could only be used by a True Neutral person, since balance is above all very important to them. Those weapons though are a long and strenuous process, and for now I'm holding off. Your ideas are welcome.
Old 03-12-2002, 08:41 PM   #52
Nifft the Nimble

Okay, now for the armor:

Skysjerkin: Leather Armor +1

This armor is surprisingly tough for a garment seemingly sewn from leather as soft as suede. It radiates a dweomer of air magic.

This armor was worn by the aerial knights of the Hand. It has been crafted by elven hands to allow maximal freedom of movement and to protect against some of the worst dangers faced by flying knights, namely dragons and storms.

Stats:
AC: 6
Weight: 10
Special: Immunity to Lightning
Special: +3 bonus to Save vs. Breath
Special: +2 Bonus to Movement Rate
Not usable by:
Mage

Necrovisicon: Helm of Tartarus

Helmets of this kind are occasionally granted by minor demon lords to their mortal worshippers. The helmets serve both their wearer and their wearer's master, for each use sends a portion of the mortal's soul to his or her infernal benefactor.

Stats:
AC Bonus: 3
Special: wearer is immune to charm and hold
Special Abilities: At will, the wearer can cast Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting, Finger of Death and Death Spell. Each use drains 4 experience levels from the wearer. These drained levels can be restored by the normal methods, such as a scroll of Restoration.
Not usable by:
Bard
Mage
Thief
Non-evil characters

Hoarfleece: Hide Armor +4

This ice-white armor was created using the skin of the Bearfather, the greatest polar bear in recorded history. It has been cured in the blood of a white dragon, soaked in the spinal fluid of an ice salamander and blessed by Auril, though fortunately that cold mistress did not see fit to imbue it with any particularly dark powers. Nonetheless her holy runes adorn it, and cause mistrust of those whom it adorns.

Despite its composition, this armor is too bulky for non-warriors. Its bulk and icy glow will significantly hinder attempts at stealth.

Stats:
AC: 2
Weight: 45
Special: wearer is protected by permanent Fire Shield: Blue
Special: -3 Charisma while worn
Special: -50% Hide in Shadows
Usable by:
Rangers (single, dual and multi-class)
Fighters (single, dual and multi-class)
Barbarians

Again, I hope you like these!

-- Nifft
Nifft the Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 08:02 PM   #53
Voltar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I've downloaded a dagger from somebody's website that supposedly changes gender - not sure if it is the PC or enemy though.
Now that would be fun! I haven't tried it yet. Apparently the change is not permanent.
Voltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 08:13 PM   #54
Voltar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Dakkon,
Re Psionics Helm...
I think the mindflayers have psionic blasts as an innate ability, so you would have to make it immunity to spell spin###, whatever the correct one was. Thats what the greenstone anulet is like, I haven't identified which spell # as yet, the greenstone amulet has immunity to about 5 different innate spells.
If I can find out i'll let you know.
Old 03-13-2002, 10:01 PM   #55
Dakkon Darkblade
The Magister

First let me say thanks to Nifft and Voltar for the ideas they've submitted... I like some of those weapons you thought of Nifft, like the double-spears for instance.

About Mind Flayer immunity, I decided on a different approach, making the Helm of Mind Shielding give protection from Intelligence Bonus. Now, you're probably thinking "Why intelligence *bonus*?" Well, I'll tell you. There aren't really any codes (that I know of) that drain intelligence, or any other ability actually. So, if you look under abilities, items, and spells that do, it gives an intelligence bonus of a *negative* number... thus, you get a drain of intelligence. That should balance it out a little mroe too, since I think it's almost too powerful, you can decide when I post it. But the balancer makes it so you can't get a *good* intelligence bonus either while wearing it, basically totally shielding your mind... its purpose. I haven't tried it yet, but the logistics are too simple to have to worry that it isn't right. Oh, and Voltar, I wasn't worried about their psionic attack... I wanted the wearer to have protection against their normal attack, which goes by the name of MINDFLAY.itm I believe. Under its abilities it sets the intelligence really low, then kills on another hit. It's basically used like a weapon, fist, or claw that a monster has... so they're sucking brains when they hit you.

---

Helmet of Mind-Shielding
This powerful helmet came from the distant realm of Allusan's powerful kingdom, known as Carcinia, that had been under siege from a seeming army of Mind Flayers, Vampires, and Umber Hulks. It is indeed odd to see Vampires working with Mind Flayers and Umber Hulks, but it seems they all had different reasons for wanting to get into the last fortress of this realm. whether it be for food, supplies, or many of their magical devices they had been known to construct.

The Carcinian Army's General, Trallius Sierant, ordered the quick construction from his magical forges the creation of many of these helms for his elite forces to wear as they charged first into battle. The plan was for his archers to back them up, along with an army of catapults as well, but it didn't go quite as they would have liked.

The mind flayers had set a trap, and while none of any of the creature's psionic and mind control abilities could work against the elites that came at them, they managed to draw the elites into a killing box, and they couldn't maintain their defense for long. The siege lasted for weeks, but at last Carcinia's walls crumbled around them, and they were overrun.

Carcinia no longer remains, no matter the tales of how it was finally succumb, but it is also a fact that the army of mind flayers, vampires, and umber hulks were destroyed as well. The most spoken rumor tells that upon knowing that their great city was overrun, their league arch-mages began a suicidal incantation, to destroy Carcinia and every last opposing foe inside. Whether this is true, due to the severe lack of witnesses, we may never know.

STATISTICS:

Armor Class Bonus: none

Special:
Protects Against Critical Hits
Wearer is immune to charm, confusion, feeblemindedness, rigid thinking, level drain, and psionics.
Wearer is also immune to intelligence drain, but also intelligence bonus.

Weight: 5
Not Usable By:
Mage
Bard
Thief

---

I tested the Sebastian's Dragon Ring against Firekraag... summoning him in the middle of the slums to play with. My not necessarily high leveled Berserker Dwarf then took him on, and to my happy surprise, the Wing Buffet protection worked. Also, he was able to hold his own for a long while, while mister red dragon kept beating down upon mirror images and stoneskins... and it was then I realized how powerful a fighter does actually become with this. Anyway though, he did some good damage, but did not win... Firekraag kept Wing Buffeting, and little did I know that the unconsciousness associated with it was a seperate entity, so that you have to protect against both. In short, he was knocked out, but not blown back, which made it so much easier, since he was still right there beside the big guy, to scratch and bite him to death. Poor guy.

Heh, a dagger that changes gender it? Sounds like the Girdle of Masculinity and Feminitiy... but it's very doable... since there's an effect called change gender or something IIRC.

I made the Buckler +2, "Wrath" (which I decided to call it, a nice story, I'll post it... )

---

Buckler +2 - "Wrath"
This powerful magical buckler was first seen in the land of Thay, in one of the gladiator pits that have been known to frequent certain areas. A gladiator barbarian by the name of Barrilus Khan first wore this buckler into one of his famous pit-fights, and, of course, as many big named fighters do, they laughed at him for using a buckler instead of a normal or fuller shield.

He just laughed, saying simply, "You laugh now, but soon you'll beg." And at that point, let out a barbarian rageful cry, running at his opponent, and at last brandishing its full power. In a split moment, fire - blue and red - sprang up around Barrilus, and anyone who struck him was burned.

Him and his opponent fought only for a few minutes, before he had been burned and beaten, and finally, Barrilus got in his final blow. He was quoted as saying, "Surprise surprise!", as the center of his buckler sprang forward into a sharp spike, and thus impaled his opponent upon it.

The nickname of "Wrath" comes from how Barrilus would mercilessly kill his opponents in the ring, for he was not a pure-hearted man; not by a long-shot. He took quite a lot of pleasure in killing, but was finally succumb to a powerful mage, who seemed to be immune, for the time, to his shield, and his magical fire.

STATISTICS:

Special Abilities (Once Per Day):
Simultaneously casts Fire Shield (Red) and Fire Shield (Blue), lasting for 13 rounds.

Combat Abilities:
An additional 1d4 piercing damage on every successful strike.

Armor Class Bonus: 3
Special: No Missile/Piercing Attack Protection
Weight: 2
Requires: 4 Strength
Unusable By:
Mage

---

I got that story down I think, but one thing about the buckler is proving annoying: geting it to hit people with the extra piercing damage. I altered it, without testing it, and I'll get back to you on what it does in combat.

I think I figured out, by studying the spells that create spell sequencers, how to successfully make an item that stores spells. What I *believe* you have to do, to make an entirely new kind of sequencer (which is what I want, because I don't want to use one of the other sequencer's slots - remember you can't have more than one of the same kind at the same time) is you have to create a whole new two spells. One will probably be a 9th or 10th level spell that I'll come up with a name for later on, and the other, ending in a "D" is the innate ability version of it. You just have to connect their resource keys, and you're good to go. So, there might end up being two new spells with this mod too. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I loved the idea about a weapons that drains you to use it's abilities. That reminds me a lot about my old days in my brief stint with Magic: the Gathering... but anyway, that would be awesome to have a weapon, a wand maybe, or a helm, that drained your levels to cast death magic on the enemies... sort of a last resort, you know? Your fighter on his last legs, he takes out the Wand of Death (for instance) and casts a bunch of death magic, hurting himself, but in the end, not dying.

Anyway, I'll be back soon.... great job guys!
Old 03-13-2002, 11:48 PM   #56
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Wow, lots of cool ideas flying back & forth! Nice work, everybody!

I think the way to create Cerek's spiked buckler is to make it a dagger that grants an AC and THAC0 bonus, and just give it a buckler's picture. Oh, wait, that means you'll have to calculate how many stars they have in Dual-Wielding.....ah, poopie. Never mind.

Since it's the Bard, Druid and Thief that are limited to Bucklers, I designed one for each of them. Here they come!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Holy Buckler of Sune
Nobody likes an ugly Bard--especially Sune, the scarlet-haired
Goddess of Beauty. This buckler was first seen on the arm of Elric
Malnebain, chief Cleric of a prosperous Temple of Sune in Waterdeep,
although he soon gifted it to his paramour Gaile, a Bard of no mean
repute and also a devotee of Sune. Whether Elric made the buckler
himself, or obtained it from outside sources, he would never say, but
the enchantments on the item are trademarks of the goddess herself:
Not only is it stylish and serves to enhance the wearer's natural
beauty and grace of movement, but it also helps to deflect the damage
of fire, cold, and acid--three of the greatest causes of disfigurement
among practicing adventurers.

ABILITIES:
- +2 to CHA
- +1 to DEX
- Lore: +15% bonus
- Resistance to Fire, Cold, Acid: +20%
- Casts Friends once per day

Armor Class Bonus: 3

REQUIRES: 17 CHA

Only Usable By:
Bard

Holy Buckler of Mask
The true origins of this item are lost to time, not because
of the item's antiquity (which is doubtful), but because each
possessor of it tries to keep it a secret, and to those whom he does
divulge the shield's true nature, he claims that it was a gift from
Mask himself, in recognition of his skills and services. His
listeners, however, immediately recognize this as an untruth, for
they know there is only one way to acquire such a potent item: By
stealing it.

ABILITIES:
- +3 to DEX
- Non-Detection while equipped
- THAC0: +1 bonus

Armor Class Bonus: 2

REQUIRES: 18 DEX

Only Usable By:
Thief

Birchwood Buckler
While surveying the damage that a great windstorm had done in
his area of the Forest of Tethir, the aged druid Faerlun Elk found
that one of his favorite trees, a tall birch that stood by a waterfall
near his home, had been uprooted in the tempest, with its dryad spirit
lying close by, her strength and will slowly ebbing away. Saddened by
this loss to the woodlands, and knowing that his own time was soon to
come, Faerlun joined his spirit with those of the birch and his dryad
friend, and lay down beside them to die. All three decomposed
together, but long after the tree had rotted to form a mother log for
new birches, a large chunk of wood from the original tree was found
to be still fresh and solid, seemingly untouched by the decays of
time. This wood was fashioned into a buckler, and a sage determined
that the spirit of Faerlun Elk still inhabited the shield, willing to
teach the lessons of death and rebirth to all who would listen--though
the fiery, capricious dryad sometimes shows her face as well.

ABILITIES:
- +1 to WIS
- Casts Raise Dead once per day
- Casts Heal once per day
- Casts Death Spell once per day
- Casts Nature's Beauty once per day

Armor Class Bonus: 4

Only Usable By:
Druid
Old 03-13-2002, 11:53 PM   #57
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

P.S.: Jalerho, himself, can pretty much ignore the bucklers for the Thief and Druid, since you shouldn't be able to obtain such items by buying them in a store. But the Holy Buckler of Sune would work well in the Adventurer's Mart, I think.
Old 03-14-2002, 07:27 AM   #58
RequinDLC
Elite Waterdeep Guard

How about gloves of fighting. Usable by monks, ONly.
THAC0 would be lowered by 2 and damage would be increased by 3.
Or Ring of increase damage plus 5. I donīt know If some of these are already been proposed, i didnīt read all replys
Old 03-14-2002, 09:05 PM   #59
Voltar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Dakkon,
Ok the ring is finished......where do you want me to email it to?
Old 03-17-2002, 05:57 AM   #60
Dakkon Darkblade
The Magister

You can e-mail it to xen_nova@hotmail.com

Hey everybody! Forums are up again, and I haven't disappeared. Cerek has been testing weapons for me in his games, to see if they work both in mine and someone else's, and we've found some minor things, and some major ones. Final Phase would be
Here's a status check on the weapons and everything:

Silencer - In good working condition, ready for final phase.

Ballista - doesn't work, I'll have to redo it. For some reason no one can use it, even if they have 19 strength and are half-orc, maybe extension header difficulty because the attributes and usuability are set correctly.

Jalerho - Mwahaha! He works! He's alive, with a GREAT dialogue file, if you ask me (And I'm not just saying that because I wrote it)... and you can say lots of stuff to him, and he recognizes how many times he's been to your shop, what race you are, what gender, all the good stuff. Also, if you're mean to him the first try, you can try and get him to accept your apology, or, you can insult him more, where he'll walk off and leave forever. You can also choose to fight him, turning him into an enemy in the dialogue, and he'll try his magic on you. I recruited some help from TeamBG on how to get him to work right, and the problem was a very strange one. I was consulted not to put him in the Adventurer's Mart though, because it might conflict with Freedom's Reign (I don't like Freedom's Reign, screwed my game up, it can stuff itself, but I'll comply).

Dagger of Venom is awaiting confirmation.

Riftsword is being weird, worked on my comp, but not on Cerek's... I might have forgot to put something in it... easily solved I bet though. I learned how to make an item upgradeable and I might make it upgradeable if I have the time.. it would probably be something like, find that and a diamond or a rogue stone or something, and it would become a better weapon. Jalerho could do it, I don't want to mess with Cromwell, since it might screw with other mods.

Staff of Crippling - works great, but needs a toning down still.

Ring of Spell Storing - I came up with a solution to the problem of a new sequencer being created, and I learned how to implement a new sequencer. I will write out two spells for the new sequencer, so it *will* be able to be used with Spell Trigger, Spell Sequencer, and Minor Spell Sequencer... ideas for the Sequencer name are very welcome. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I'll get back to you guys with more info soon... hang tight!