Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-18-2001, 04:13 AM   #1
tehmpus
The Magister

Lo, it's me again... tehmpus thales. Yesterday we had a pretty good conversation about the merits of the different classes for your main char in a different thread. I thought I'd start up a thread dedicated to the subject.
Considering a balanced group... which char would you prefer to have as a main, assuming that you can flush out the party with appropriate people?
I chose a warrior because I like the keep on slaughtering without the constant need to rest. In my group, Nalia, Aerie, and Jahera add some nice spell firepower to the equation, but the bulk of the damage is done by the warriors. In fact, Jahera seems to smack things with a spiked club or toss sling bullets quite often in my game. From a duel standpoint, I think a wizard class is the most powerful... but Im talking more about an exhaustive dungeon clearing group that doesn't wish to rest for spells constantly. So, when I created tehmpus, I made a dwarven warrior (stupidly grandmastered in two-handed sword--but that's a tale for another day).

Which class did you choose for your main... and why?
If there is an advantage to choosing one of the specialty classes as a main, perhaps I'll give it a whirl.

------------------
Tehmpus Thales the permanently InSaNe
Old 10-18-2001, 07:54 AM   #2
Ugaya
Manshoon

I always go for kits when choosing a fighter PC.
I love the kensai because of his increasing damage and hit modifiers. I alter his lousy AC (no armor allowed) by spells (spirit armor) or items (shield amulet).
The Berserker kit is also fine. This fighter is - while enraged - immune against almost everything (stun, hold, charm, even imprisonment (which is very helful later in the game)).

BTW I always prefer dual-wield and distribute my proficiency points among two weapons at least. Grandmastery isn't the same as it was in BG 1 and IMHO not worth five points. Specializing is enough for me.
Old 10-18-2001, 08:03 AM   #3
MrO
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Personally, I'm very much enjoying my two supporting characters I'm playing in my fiance's MP game:
Jezzie: Multi Classed Elven Fighter/ Thief. She's dual weilding short swords or katanas (started with just short swords) You combine the much needed thieving abilities with the totally kick but fighter access to prof's. Much better then the kits that allow you better access to dual wield, IMHO.
Gwendolyn Fyre: Elven Sorceress. Dude, you just get soooooooo many spells. The lack of variety means that they can't be your only wizard, but once you add in the staff of the Magi, talk about unstoppable.

Mr. O
Old 10-18-2001, 08:41 AM   #4
Archon Devangilous
The Magister

ill never tire of anything with a thief in it
hide in shadows is an awesome way to scout areas, but the real reason for it is the ability of a thief to sneak up and stick a sword in an enemies spine

a dual wielding thief/fighter at high levels .... hehehe the enemy doesnt usually last too long

besides that a thief has good ability to fly it solo as they can detect traps and illusions pick locks and pockets and all-round fun to be had
PLUS with ToB installed and an extremely high level thief you have some awesome traps and an almost insensable stalker

------------------
Nor shadow or myst
the jester is a myth
he is absolute
beware the jester
Old 10-18-2001, 09:34 AM   #5
StarVid
Elminster

I usually play a superheavy spell caster. This is the dualed cleric/mage. I can still max out my mage, and have about 30 cleric spells at my disposal. I hardly need to rest before fatigue sets in as it takes forever for me to exhaust my spells. And with wish (mage) and wonderous recall (cleric), I can make my spells last even longer. Usually, I like to play a game through BG1 and take that char through BG2 for a continuous storyline. There are no good clerics in BG1 (Yeslick is multi and Branwen is neutral so she complains too much), and there are no good single classed mages in BG2, so I just dual over then. This way, I have a mage with extra spells and more hps than a regular mage). And with all the gear that lowers casting time for mages (I think it works for cleric spells too), I can actually cast my cleric spells in less than a day.

other times, I just play a straight mage, but that's just so I can be a wild mage.
Old 10-18-2001, 09:43 AM   #6
mitsos

As well as a fighter, you may also choose a paladin. He's good, he can cast limited spells, he has many innate abilities and he can use the Carsomyr. Since I'm not a fan of missile weapons, I think tha cavalier kit is best. I'd like to try the game though with characters no-one takes, such as blade, avenger etc.

Old 10-18-2001, 11:20 AM   #7
Byronas

I agree with mitsos. Also a good paladin kit is Undead Hunter.

------------------

Where there are monsters and barbarians there will be Byronas fighting against them.

[This message has been edited by Byronas (edited 10-18-2001).]

Old 10-18-2001, 11:58 AM   #8
Nifft the Nimble

It's fun to role-play through as a Cavalier: the game hardly ever forces you to choose between Law and Good.

On the other hand, it's also great fun to role-play through as an evil Fighter/Thief. Bully, bluff and back-stab your way to fortune and infamy!
But my absolute favorite is always going to be a magic-user, be it a Wild Mage, Invoker or Sorcerer.

-- Nifft
Old 10-18-2001, 01:16 PM   #9
Darlon
The Magister

Note: I am playing the BG2 add-on; the darkest day

My favorite class of all is the dragon slayer (paladin kit) because of the advantage they have over dragons, so I made Darlon a dragon slayer, grand mastery of 2-handed sword (mainly because I want the holy avenger) and 1 point into 2-handed weapon style.

The only problem with the dragon slayer kit is that you can't use prist spells.
Old 10-18-2001, 02:54 PM   #10
ReGiN

Quote:
Originally posted by Darlon:
Note: I am playing the BG2 add-on; the darkest day

My favorite class of all is the dragon slayer (paladin kit) because of the advantage they have over dragons, so I made Darlon a dragon slayer, grand mastery of 2-handed sword (mainly because I want the holy avenger) and 1 point into 2-handed weapon style.

The only problem with the dragon slayer kit is that you can't use prist spells.

This might be an excellent time to ask...where do you get your hnads on "the darkest day"?
Is it in the stores (?) or on the web....please tell me