Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 12-02-2004, 04:02 AM   #1
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

i'm playing SoA, ToB, baldurdash, tactics and the non-cheating elements of ease of use (solo FMT)

i experienced what i assume was the first 'tactics' ambush (the ambush party had names like 'wizard slayer') - i had plenty of spells in hand so i fired an instant sunfire (robe of vecna) and ran to hide behind some crates - i noticed that i hadn't used my newly learned mislead spell so i cast it and went on the back stabbing frenzy that was every bit as cheesy as i'd heard - i was hacking the mage when the mislead ran out but she still didn't target me - i assumed mislead was even more broken than i thought

next time i was ambushed i didn't have mislead but i still sunfired and ran, hid in shadows and ran back to backstab the (normal non-tactics) mage - i did so - she died but then the rest of the party completely ignored me too - i wandered around a bit - i (metaphorically) tapped them on the forehead, nothing - i systematically slaughtered them, nothing - it was all a bit confusing, they were helpless

tremble at the power of sunfire (but it must be a bug right?)

[ 12-02-2004, 05:26 AM: Message edited by: Armen ]
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 04:06 AM   #2
Q'alooaith
Emerald Dragon

that'd be a bug yes.

Though I've not heard of it before now, are you sure your visible, and maybe you might try turning AI on, though it's only meant to be for the party it "might" have somthing to do with it, though probably not.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:27 AM   #3
rily83
Dungeon Master

I had the same problem with tactics installed. Some of the non-tactics fights(like the slavers) even had problems cos they refused to do anything. It seems to be an AI thing. I just left them alone, cos it feels bad to be getting stuff from them.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:53 AM   #4
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

I've also encountered this same bug in the game with my solo bard. I hadn't played it for a couple of months and recently decided to pick it up again. One of the first encounters he had was with the Ambush Party as he tried to go to different District in the city. I wasn't expecting them - because I was traveling during the day - so I also wasn't very well prepared for them. I quickly "charmed" one of the fighters and began preparing spells to deal with the rest of the group - then I noticed they WEREN'T attacking me! [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img] They were just standing there in formation. I had the fighter kill a couple of his buddies while I took out the rest. But even after my Dire Charm wore off, the fighter still didn't attack me. So I got a lot of loot without taking any damage at all. (a perfect scenario as far as my bard is concerned ).

The next time I got ambushed, the group DID attack like normal, but on the third encounter, they once again just stood there.

I don't know what's causing the bug, but since my bard needs ALL the Potions of Extra Healing he can get, I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:15 AM   #5
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

hmm, not just me then

oh yeh Cerek's point is well made - and i got potions of superior healing off the tactics groups and an 8th level spell scroll - i feel so cheap . . .
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 01:24 PM   #6
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

I think the AI is the most likely culprit. I've never seen enemies just stand there and let you whack them (apart from Feeblemind, of course), but I have seen this: If one of my own party members gets Charmed, he or she will attack the party if and ONLY if the Party AI was on.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:45 PM   #7
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:
I think the AI is the most likely culprit. I've never seen enemies just stand there and let you whack them (apart from Feeblemind, of course), but I have seen this: If one of my own party members gets Charmed, he or she will attack the party if and ONLY if the Party AI was on.
The second time the "Ambush Party" just stood in formation for me, I didn't even try to charm any of them. I just went down the line whacking them.

At least I'm pretty sure that's the way it happened. Since they didn't attack once before, I think I just used my Ring of Invisibility and waited to see what they would do.

Unfortunately, I can't go back and "test" any of our theories right now since my bard isn't in the city. He is currenlty busy being killed repeatedly by an ill-tempered Shadow Dragon in Umar Hills. [img]graemlins/wizardtrouble.gif[/img]

[ 12-02-2004, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: Cerek ]