Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2003, 12:24 PM   #21
Mellagar

Schools....designed mostly to show what individuals cannot do, or create boundaries for thought. As for the games, unless certain they have become part of a landfill, put the matter aside. Little can be done to change it now, so less brooded over, the easier on yourself it will be. The matter is over so whether it was right or wrong is futile. As for not doing well in economics..pfeh, I didn't set the world into a blaze of fire either. As for a D being passing, it gets one through school, though it is a low grade, to finish is the goal, how you get there is merely a personal taste. Trust me on one point though, where you get that diploma will go further than any grades you might earn. A's are great, B's are nice, C's will do, D's get by, F's create a wall. For me, although I have no children, I would be much more pleased if they came home with a C- but came home rambling off facts they learned, then memorizing info, getting the B or A and forgetting everything in a few months. You go to school to learn, not to try and get the A to top off some GPA or make everyone smile at your brilliance. Its for an education, not a competition.
Old 05-24-2003, 01:45 PM   #22
MagiK

I would disagree with your view on schools Mellagar and the importance of grades...yeah if you don't mind being just another run of the mill joe, no particular desires or goals and are satisfied just making do..yep C's are fine as are D's. If however, you want to push the envelope and take advantage of the best this nation has to offer in the way of education and self improvement then you set forth to excell, not settle for "getting by". Just getting by is lazy. Yes some schools don't do well at actually teaching the subjects....but they do teach you how to learn....they open up possibilities that you might not have considered....you can fight the system and criticize it for what it doesnt do....or you can accept it for what it is and utilize it to your best advantage, to further your own life and goals.

I am very disappointed that US schools are teaching less and less of value these days, focusing more on BS self esteem boosting and feel good philosophy and of course stamping out any feelings of accomplishment by catering to the lowest common denominator BUT they expose you to possibilites which is a good thing.

(amazing that human children survived generation after generation with no self esteem classes....)

Old 05-24-2003, 03:09 PM   #23
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

I don't know why every parent expects their kids to get the best grades anyway. At least at university, all the exams are deliberatly designed and moderated to create a Gaussian distribution of marks. This means that MOST people will get average grades and very few people will get very low or very high grades. Tell your sf you are in the middle of the Gaussian distribution for economics, along with the majority of your fellow students [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 05-24-2003, 08:03 PM   #24
Zero Alpha

IV'E JUST READ THIS WHOLE THREAD AND YOU CANNOT BELEVE HOW MAD I STILL AM!

i cannot beleve anybody would be as heartless as to bin your games. if i had my way binning games would be a capital offence. and who cares if you dont get the best grades in the world? if you think about it rationaly you'll be dead in 80 years, you should have fun while you can. AND exams only test how good you are at exams ANYWAY, so who cares!

Old 05-24-2003, 08:15 PM   #25
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

dreadfuly, the world cares weather you are good at test or not, it is how you are able to get a decent paying job, which in turn aloows you to have a healthy life which in turn allows you to work more, and when the time comes, allows you to support a family, which in turn causes you to work longer hours, which means you have less time to enjoy life, sory but that is the way adulthood works
Old 05-25-2003, 12:28 AM   #26
Mellagar

I merely stated that a D gets one by, and nothing more. I am not for getting all D's and skating through school, as I made A's B's, and of course C's. I got D's as well but I still passed, and to be honest, I have met many college students who've walked through with A's and...well....they weren't the brightest candle on the birthday cake when it came to common sense.
Old 05-25-2003, 04:25 PM   #27
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

High school results are unimportant as long as they are good enough to allow you into College.

High School is only basic knowledge so that you have all your doors open for choosing your future carrer. Let's say you go to College in the carrer of your choice and since that is what you really want to do and are really good at it, you get excellent grades. When you go apply for a job at a company, the guy will look at your excellent College result in that job's class, and tell you "Nice! we want you!" he won't say: "You are the best student out of that class, but you got a D in high school economy class, get out! Looser!!"
Old 05-27-2003, 06:54 PM   #28
the sauceman
Zhentarim Guard

Ok, WOW... this is going to take a bit. First things first, I want to reply to everyone who posted:

Animal I completely understand that suspending some privliges from time to time is necessary to keep someone on track.

Epona Thanks for your concern, I totally understand that high school is dead important for getting into a respectable college. I will graduate with above a 2.0, and then hopefully, my stepfather will ease up on the punishments. If not, I will probably move out.

pritchke yeah, Ive got one last chapter test and then the final, so lately Ive been trying to get all those different terms down. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

mysticelt no, he assured me he threw the games away. and as for the grade, Im doing my damnedest to get it to a C, itll be close...

Harkoliar thanks for the sympathy. I dont play as much as I used to, having a job and trying to raise my econ grade leaves me only a couple hours a day, so i imagine that I might do pretty much what youre doing now.

Cloudy RightO, sorry bout that. And trust me, I want to get a better grade in Econ, dont want to let my mom down. I tr to believe hes doing what he thinks is in my best interest, but the way he goes to extremes makes it hard for me to trust him...

Bungleau some of the same points I said in my reply to Cloudy, and I knwo that step parents arent all evil, far from it. Its just my step father who takes things further than they should go.

johnny thanks, I try to keep away from violence. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Stormymystic Your not old, just mature, thats all! lol... Anyway, thank you for sharing your story, Im glad that my parents have an interest in my life, but my stepfather doesnt really care about me unless Im doing something wrong, its all about his darling daughter...(not that Im at all jealous, as you can tell by my words... lol, ive learned to live with the fact that nothing I do will ever be as good as anything his daughter does. and shes done some pretty horrible things, he just choses not to see it.)

pcgiant Thanks for the offer, but I think ive got most of it down, and one of my lady friends has offered to help me out a little. So if you dont mind, Id rather take up her offer,

Charlie Thank you for your kind offer, but Ive been able to sllooowly build up my library again, and I guess its a good thing that some of those games are gone, I spent WAY too much time on them...hehe

andrewas LOL... Im workin on the grades.

The Hierophant Again, LOL! I dont think that would help my situation a whole lot...

Lanesra Nice comeback, lol.

Luvian yes, I will be 19 VERY soon, (Hurray!) and I didnt want to hurt my mom, so Im trying to be reasonable with him, but he keeps saying he knows whats best for me... *sigh* I guess we'll never get along too well.

Dreamer128 What can I say? Thanks.

MagiK Thanks for the 2 cents. Whenever I hear something, I too try to keep in mind that its only one side of the story, and I may have been a little harsh on him, but situations like this one happen ALOT in my house, this isnt the first time something extreme happened. Heck, Ill even gove you an example:
John(As I so apptly named him) banned all video games(Console games that is) from the house in 1997. I was grounded from playing my N64 because they thought I was spending way too much time with it. (I was in honors back then, and getting a 3.5) I was a little cheesed, so my friends birthday party came along, and i bring my N64 with, cause we wanted to do the mario cart thing. When I got home, my step father took the console, (Which he had bought) the games, and the accessories, (all of which I had bought except one game and one controller)and threw them away when the garbage truck came by. Im not saying that what he did was wrong, because I had done what he didnt want me to do, Id played games on my console. (abet, at my friends house.) But it was very extreme, I believe. This is the sort of thing that commonly happens when I dont do what he thinks is correct.

Kaltia HA! dont think he would take too kindly to that, but thanks for sharing.

robertthebard Good for you! thats great what your doing, and I hope I can be as fair and even handed as you seem to be when (if) I have children. No, he doesnt attend my confrences, only his daughters, and I think thats why my mom is a bit more easygoing on me,because she understands whats going on with me and my grades and whatnot.

Mellagar The sad thing is, he doesnt seem to understand that...when my step sisters grades started to fall due to drug use, he blamed my mother, which pissed me off to NO end. he had no right to place all of the blame on my mother, when hes the one letting his daughter do whatever she damned well pleases!

MagiK I can see where you come from, having a good education is very important to succeeding in life, and I have always tried very hard to understand the material I am being taught. but sometimes, it just doesnt click, thats when I start to get Ds.

Vaskez LOL, I will, thanks!

Stormymystic Unless your an English Teacher...lol (Thats pretty much where I want to head, I love English, and I love working with kids, seems an obvious choice.)

Mellagar i agree

Luvian lets hope your right, although I dont think a bad Econ grade will affect my ability to teach high school english. Oh, and I understand Econ, I just cant seem to apply it when it comes time for a test, lol.

Zero Alpha Oops, Im sorry, there was just a whole lot of people to respond to...So, Thanks for your support, that would be a nice law, lol.

[ 05-27-2003, 07:10 PM: Message edited by: the sauceman ]
Old 05-27-2003, 07:02 PM   #29
Zero Alpha

so i dont even get a mention?
i know this is off topic, but why does everyone seem to ignore my point's i make in threads? i only make relevant points, but you all seem to ignore me. did i do something wrong?

i cant find a crying smile
Old 05-27-2003, 07:12 PM   #30
the sauceman
Zhentarim Guard

^
l
l
LOL! no, you didnt do anything wrong, your an OK kinda guy, I promise!