Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 02-06-2010, 03:10 PM   #21
Dr.Pick
Zhentarim Guard

Default Re: Replay Value

With W8, I was evaluating advice to have an effective party to play. It's partly my own weaknesses as a gamer with weak keyboarding skills and slow thinking processes.

It helps a lot to have high rolling characters to start in W&W. That's one of the reasons why it was taking so long to create a party. I'm sure I won't have much trouble with the group I now have. If I choose to, they'll go all the way to the end game.

Peace, +Dr.Pick
Old 02-10-2010, 01:15 AM   #22
Shadow Stranger

Role playing in W&W would be tough, there are not many oppurtunities to do it. I am not clear how you could express a PC's personality in a meaningful way. The difference between melee and magic is the only thing I can think of.
Shadow Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:23 PM   #23
Dr.Pick
Zhentarim Guard

Role playing is different with a group of characters as opposed to an individual, and any game will have its challenging RP aspects with the game's design and what an individual gamer feels is important to their ideas about role playing.

It's a bit harder and takes a little longer to get into a specific character's "head" when you have a few others to do the same thing with at the same time. Some people feel that eating, drinking, and sleeping are very important, while I think it's irrelevant.

What's important to me is what direction will each character take- which elite role(s), and what, if any, special roles will they take on in their career? Names and races are important so I take my time with those as well.

Note that in these very W&W forums are stories conjured/inspired by actual play throughs from persons visiting these hallowed halls! They CAN take on a "personality" even when their primary function is killing things and robbing their corpses of their stuff!

It takes a little more imagination than other games such as Morrowind and Oblivion in which you have one individual with more stat developing freedom than W&W, and that's just fine with me- I love all three.

The only other challenge is actual game difficulty which I don't handle well, so instead, I crank the difficulty settings way down, and with this game, I create very strong characters with very large inheritances to start out with. They are well equipped and highly developed.

Peace, +Dr.Pick
Old 02-15-2010, 03:32 PM   #24
Dr.Pick
Zhentarim Guard

Sunglass Man Re: Replay Value

To update: The Little People have cleared the Crypt, Killed Scabban, and visited Ishad'Na to deliver Barrenhawk's Package, and get the Rogues into the Guild of the Shadow. They met with little resistance in spite of the fact that targeting anything
in D3D mode with Win XP is challeging all by itself. Ankhs, Bracelets, scrolls, and Gems are extremely difficult.

When speaking to Scabban, at the end of his little speech, Angelus the priest said "Goodbye", and Scabban walked right into the hole in the floor and fell right down into the water below! Needless to say, he was difficult to target, so they jumped down onto his head and pummeled him down through the grate along with the slimes that had accompanied him there. Imagine six adventurers standing on top of a tall wet lump of mud! Quite a sight to see!

Speaking with the Oracle was also challenging for the same reason as well as the fact that a pixie talking in 3ft. of water will sink below the waterline and everyone has to hold their breath, so I switched to the Gourk who had no such issues.

After visiting Ishad'Na, they went back to Valeia to tie up a few loose ends with the Mages Guild and move their "significant others"(Mules) to the next town. Oddly, Sir Elgar did NOT receive word of our success in delivering the package to Barrenhawk in Ishad'Na.

+Dr.Pick

Last edited by Dr.Pick; 02-15-2010 at 03:39 PM.
Dr.Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:41 PM   #25
Shadow Stranger

Good, your new party is working out.
"Ankhs, Bracelets, scrolls, and Gems are extremely difficult." What do you mean here? Issues with trying to target them or find them?
I had no real problems with trying to target anything and I was using Windows XP too. (I forget what mode I was using though.)
Barrenhawks's package was successfully delivered to Lord Barrenhawk but Sir Elgar did not know that. Leave Valeia and then return, try the conversation again. Try every trigger word that you can think of. W&W is somewhat eccentric and is occasionally buggy, this is not a known bug though, it may go away.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:58 PM   #26
Dr.Pick
Zhentarim Guard

Yes, targeting everything is difficult, but especially small items. When I was in software mode(which looked horrendous), it was no problem, but when I put D3D (I think 600x800), only certain spots on anything targetable would give the target symbol allowing you to speak, attack, pick up, or activate it. Another reason why turn based mode for fighting is a necessity.

Yes, I went back to Ishad'Na(moving mules) and returned to Valeia, then he acknowledged the quest completed without any conversation prompts.

+Dr.Pick
Old 02-15-2010, 10:30 PM   #27
Dr.Pick
Zhentarim Guard

The following quote is from the notes for a graphics patch which I downloaded here(at IW), and I am considering using one of the enhanced graphics modes- the question is which resolution to use? I have a standard size CRT monitor. No wide screen or multi-screen set up.

+Dr.Pick

"The second bug is that the DirectDraw Z buffer gets accessed while unlocked. This second bug makes selecting objects and monsters on the 3d portion of the screen difficult. These bugs may also affect video cards other than Radeons.

This patch also allows playing the game at either 1280x960 or 1280x1024 resolution. In this resolution the user interface graphics that were designed for a resolution of 640x480 are scaled up by a factor of exactly two. This results in a much better looking display than using either 800x600 or 1024x768 resolutions which use fractional scale factors resulting in a distorted looking user interface. To use either 1280x960 or 1280x1024 resolution select the appropriate radio button in the patch utility's dialog before applying the patch. Then when you run Wizards & Warriors select hardware mode and "800x600" resolution. The game will then use the resolution you chose when applying the patch."
Old 02-16-2010, 07:58 PM   #28
Shadow Stranger

I know nothing about graphics, I have only two settings on my screen: 800*600 and 1,024*768. I have never had any problems with graphics so I have never used the graphics patches.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:38 AM   #29
Dr.Pick
Zhentarim Guard

Sunglass Man Re: Replay Value

I'd PM'd Wyvern and while she didn't know, she did encourage me because the patch is likely older than widescreen's common use, so I tried it. The glitch is fixed and the game looks absolutely beautiful. Night time is much darker, so I may have to adjust the monitor or the gamma.

The Little People are ready to head into the Serpent Temple, but they may need to stock up on more cure poison scrolls and/or potions since Angelus doesn't have that spell yet.

I'm also having my warriors go Barbarian for a while as well. They're level 7, and they'll level quickly up to that point and then they can move on to other roles.

+Dr.Pick
Old 03-09-2010, 09:41 PM   #30
Dr.Pick
Zhentarim Guard

Just about done with the Serpent Temple- Elyssa is going down tonight.

My Gnome Rogue is now a Bard and my Ratling Rogue isn't sure what he wants to do yet. Probably still go Ninja.

My Gourk Barbarian with probably go Ranger while My Dwarf will go Paladin.

My Priest and Wizard Pixies will both go Warlock eventually.