Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-03-2004, 12:11 AM   #11
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

I don't know about being addicted to music, but I'll try and throw my two cents in anyway.

I'll agree with Someguy, there are a few songs I listen to that when I hear them, I get old feelings, some of gloom and some of better times. It all just depends on how you feel when you first listen to that particular song, and no matter the situation, the feeling normally returns when it is replayed.

I've never heard of musical addictions, don't think its possibly really. Because for example, take heavy metal and say you were addicted to it. That would mean that even if you listened to a song by a band that sucked out loud, you would be addicted to it which really wouldn't make much sense. You might, however just really like that song or maybe have it stuck in your head and have to listen to it reptitively to get rid of it.

Music is also there to help our moods out a bit. If you're normally an agressive person, you'll probably listen to heavy metal more often than anything else. If you like to relax, you'll probably listen to classic rock and so forth. For me, I listen to it for a certain reason. When I try to write something, music helps motivate what you're trying to write out. I'll listen to metal if I design a fight scene or a love song for a romantic scene.

Everyone's got their reasons, but not an addiction I don't think. My two cents.
Old 11-03-2004, 02:15 AM   #12
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Well, all debate aside as to whether music is actually addictive, why would such an 'addiction' be a bad thing anyway? It's not like it's heroin or anything, it's not going to kill you. If you're enjoying yourself, keep going. When you stop diggin' it you'll try something else. No big deal.

Was your Dad just making a passing statement? Or is he forbidding you from listening to it?
Old 11-03-2004, 05:31 AM   #13
General Nosaj
Zhentarim Guard

I don't know about causing addictions but I know that playing heavy metal music to unborn babies makes them go crazy. Enough to cause discomfort for the mother so I've heard.
Old 11-03-2004, 06:42 AM   #14
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

I don't like Metal myslf. It's just a bunch of loud noise to me and I think people who listen may have some frustation or stress ussues. I'm much more of a Rock fan, April Wine, Rush, Yes etc.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:13 AM   #15
J'aran
Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood:
I don't like Metal myslf. It's just a bunch of loud noise to me and I think people who listen may have some frustation or stress ussues.
I've been a metal fan since I was twelve or so (and not just the more mainstream sorts of metal either, I like it as loud as it comes, and that's a lot louder than, say, Metallica), and I'm a very laid-back person. The music in itself can be very angry and aggressive yes, but the average Slayer fan isn't any more frustrated and stressful than the next person.

As for addiction, I concur with the general consensus that if this happens to be true then it is not just metal but any type of music, and any kind of stimulus, be it aural, visual or what have you, that induces emotions.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:30 AM   #16
philip
Galvatron

Yep it'll be true for any music then. But I can't say I'm not addicted to music (metal and other stuff which I can't name but like tiamat and lacrimosa) [img]smile.gif[/img] I listen to it whenever I can so probably like over 6 hours a day.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:18 PM   #17
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Damn! I though i'd finally found someone to share my lead eating addiction with.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:25 PM   #18
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

I have about 20gbs of metal on my computer, and lately it is all I have been listening to (I have a heap more albums on the way.) I usually have a song playing all the time. But I wouldn't say I'm addicted to it, I also have time for the other 15gbs...all the classic Rock, Zepplin, Hendrix etc.

Also, I agree about certain songs, there are some that I just love and make me feel various types of emotions when I listen to them.

Anyways, that a side...should I go and see Machinehead or Fear Factory next month?

[ 11-03-2004, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: RoSs_bg2_rox ]
Old 11-03-2004, 01:38 PM   #19
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Hmmm... an interesting thought. I'd turn it around and ask him what it is about metal that makes it happen, and why it doesn't happen with jazz, classic rock, swing, big band, or polka? Or does it, and you should just avoid all music because you might become addicted to it?

Personally, I can't see the physical connection between listening to something and chemical production in the body. Or... well... I do know that certain words and phrases, whispered just so and ever gently into the ear, can result in certain physical reactions which could certainly be habit forming and addicting

Guess we'll have to either form a focus group to study those effects, or go the other way and give up talking altoge-
Old 11-03-2004, 01:38 PM   #20
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
Actually, Ross, Led Zeppelin is considered basically the "Grand-daddy" of metal! As I've said before, I'm not really a metal-head, just a Metallica fan, for the most part. Oh, and Variol, no problems, here! [img]smile.gif[/img]