Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2003, 05:26 AM   #21
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

Anywhere and everywhere MagiK, but the real antagonism in Burnley and Oldham appears to be between whites and asians - there are very big Indian and Pakistani communities in those towns. Its not like these people all turned up at once, to clarify, they've gradually come to make up a significant portion of the population there. And as the towns are extremely poor its not hard to find people looking for someone to blame. So the idea has arisen, thanks to the BNP, that these towns are secretly run as an anti-white conspiracy by the asians. They, apparently, simply use the resources of the town and council for their own benefit. Even the most cursory glance at the area shows how completely wrong that idea is, but it provides an easy way to blame someone so it gains a lot of support. All in all, very depressing.
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Old 05-20-2003, 08:49 AM   #22
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

i just watched series of boston public (do any of you guys watch this?) anyway for those who dont know, this is about a group of teachers going about thier everday lives interacting with thier students.. its not science fiction or fantasy like buffy or angel, nor is it comedy like friends all the time..

*note: i hope you guys are open minded to this, im just telling you what i saw*
anyway back to topic:
one interesting episode just happened 2 days ago. it was interesting because it was bordering on racism.. some student (called A) got into an argument with two other students because a "white" person called his "black" friend using the word "■■■■■■". student A, who was black, didnt like white or any other skin color using the word ■■■■■■ yet it is ok for black people to use them. i found it very interesting.. since for a black calling another black person using the word "■■■■■■" is ok even brotherly but when a white or asian or any other color uses it its degrading. now, the teacher , who was white, wanted to explore this controversy, but in doing so, earned the ire of the black teachers and the principal (who is also black btw) because the principal is worried it may spark a series of recism around the school grounds.

i know this is only an episode but i believe it is related to the topic and its also kinda real in a way

your comments??

Catch me if you can..
Old 05-20-2003, 09:08 AM   #23
Kaltia
Jack Burton

*Bashes head* People, let's just point out that some racists can be really nice people. Usually, older people are *shrug*. My grandparents are very racist; I can't even talk about my German friend without them assuring me she's a spy (Esther? A *SPY*? WTF?). Once, when they were lost, my grandad said he would ask for directions. There were two people in the street at the time, a woman of Indian origin and an African. My grandad went to ask the Indian woman for directions, but my grandmother stopped him with, "Oh, Pat, why are you asking the Darkie? You know she's probably just got off the plane and don't speak a word of English!". I love my grandparents, but Crist, I got annoyed with her reasoning that Black University Graduates shouldn't be offered jobs until after the Brits had gotten them. Also, at my Dad's graduation, my grandfather noted the list of graduates for Mechanical Engineering and said in distaste, "There's only three English people here, the others are all "P*kys"". I hate this, but they won't listen to any of my arguements because, "You're only a teenager, dear, the blackies haven't been able to do anything yet". As for my German friend...She's half-Chinese, so OH MY GOD SHE'S GONNA MURDER US ANGLO-SAXONS IN OUR SLEEP! NOOOOOOOOOO! [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] (Esther, am I scaring you now? Good, good.)

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Old 05-20-2003, 09:13 AM   #24
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Harkoliar:
i just watched series of boston public (do any of you guys watch this?) anyway for those who dont know, this is about a group of teachers going about thier everday lives interacting with thier students.. its not science fiction or fantasy like buffy or angel, nor is it comedy like friends all the time..

*note: i hope you guys are open minded to this, im just telling you what i saw*
anyway back to topic:
one interesting episode just happened 2 days ago. it was interesting because it was bordering on racism.. some student (called A) got into an argument with two other students because a "white" person called his "black" friend using the word "■■■■■■". student A, who was black, didnt like white or any other skin color using the word ■■■■■■ yet it is ok for black people to use them. i found it very interesting.. since for a black calling another black person using the word "■■■■■■" is ok even brotherly but when a white or asian or any other color uses it its degrading. now, the teacher , who was white, wanted to explore this controversy, but in doing so, earned the ire of the black teachers and the principal (who is also black btw) because the principal is worried it may spark a series of recism around the school grounds.

i know this is only an episode but i believe it is related to the topic and its also kinda real in a way

your comments??
Hark. It is one thing for a minority to use a derogatory term in anger or disrespect and some times even friendly ribbing, but it is not ok for a non-minority to do the same thing. It is a dichotomy, counterintuitive and not really rational but hey, who said people were rational?

Old 05-20-2003, 09:19 AM   #25
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

oh yeah.. the chinese (here anyway) are very picky with the pure chinese part... i grew up around chinese poeple in a chinese school and know a few words here and there.. sometimes i get out of place since there are only 3 non-chinese in the class... sometimes i get angry since chinese should marry chinese.. grr... culture or not.. i find it racism.. but they are still my friends.

edit:
Quote:
posted by magik:
---------------------
Hark. It is one thing for a minority to use a derogatory term in anger or disrespect and some times even friendly ribbing, but it is not ok for a non-minority to do the same thing. It is a dichotomy, counterintuitive and not really rational but hey, who said people were rational?
that i agree.. who is?

[ 05-20-2003, 09:24 AM: Message edited by: Harkoliar ]

Catch me if you can..
Old 05-20-2003, 11:42 AM   #26
Nanashi
Elite Waterdeep Guard

To comment on Kaltia's post (I can't get this stupid quote thing to work!), people who are racist aren't necessarily all that. They can be nice, yet somewhat... blind. I had a great-grandfather (whom I vaguely remember...) who was a German soldier in WW2. He absolutely worshipped Hitler's views, but he would never believe, even after the war had ended, that any Jews or homosexuals or any other minorities were put into concentration camps. He just wouldn't accept it, and said it was all propaganda from the superpowers. But he was a really nice guy, and he even liked my mum (who's Chinese).

Racism is a very delicate subject, and you can never really even generalise the racist people in question. Everyone has their own personal reasons for being racist. My great-grandfather was propagandaed into it, some people make the conscious choice... I dunno. Do I make sense?

And to clear things up, I'm Esther.
Old 05-20-2003, 11:43 AM   #27
Kaltia
Jack Burton

SQUUUUEEEEE, you're here! *hugs*

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Old 05-20-2003, 12:56 PM   #28
harleyquinn
Symbol of Cyric

Ahh, so you're the spy :bluewink: [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

I had a disagreement with my best friend in which we had to agree to disagree about the topic. He said "I don't have any problems with black people, but I'd never date a black woman". Now, I know he's ok with being friends with someone who is black because one of his best friend's is. But I told him, that based on that statement, he may not be as racist as someone who uses certain words, but he does still have a "problem" because he's still judging someone solely on the color of their skin, which I believe is the definition of racism. He thinks it's no different then not wanting to date someone because they're fat, that it's a matter of personal preference.
Maybe I'm just over sensitive on the matter because I'm Jewish, I have an uncle by marriage who's black, and an adopted aunt who's from Porto Rico (sp?).
Old 05-20-2003, 01:02 PM   #29
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by harleyquinn:

I had a disagreement with my best friend in which we had to agree to disagree about the topic. He said "I don't have any problems with black people, but I'd never date a black woman". Now, I know he's ok with being friends with someone who is black because one of his best friend's is. But I told him, that based on that statement, he may not be as racist as someone who uses certain words, but he does still have a "problem" because he's still judging someone solely on the color of their skin, which I believe is the definition of racism. He thinks it's no different then not wanting to date someone because they're fat, that it's a matter of personal preference.
Maybe I'm just over sensitive on the matter because I'm Jewish, I have an uncle by marriage who's black, and an adopted aunt who's from Porto Rico (sp?).
Why does he have a problem? I don't like dating really large women, and I won't date someone with taller than I am. It isn't wether you would marry someone, it is how you treat the person.....IMOP

Old 05-20-2003, 01:30 PM   #30
harleyquinn
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
quote:
Originally posted by harleyquinn:

Why does he have a problem? I don't like dating really large women, and I won't date someone with taller than I am. It isn't wether you would marry someone, it is how you treat the person.....IMOP [/QUOTE]I explained why in my paragraph. That's how I feel about it, and I feel no need to apologize for it. Given that he hasn't had a date in 7 years, maybe he should learn to not be so picky (he's my best friend, I'm allowed to rub that in [img]tongue.gif[/img] )