Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-29-2001, 04:24 PM   #1
Trake
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hello all...another question for you. A harper messenger came for Jaheira and she had to go away. A few days later (game time) she came back and said that I had to go with her to the Harper's headquarters in Athkatla. So when we go in there, they try and capture me. They always end up killing me and my party. What is the strategy for this fight? What spells should be used and on whom? I have attempted 3 different times now and have not been able to beat them. Is there anyway to get around the fight? Also, in the dialogue before the fight, should I keep Jaheira with me or should I tell her that I want no part of her? I know this is alot of questions. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Trake
Old 10-29-2001, 04:34 PM   #2
andrewas
Harper

i dont remember this one deing spetacularly difficult, but then i did do it kinda late. in answer to you last question, keep jaheria unless you have a replacement available in time. you really need as much firepower as possible.

if your nice enough to her, and thers no reason you shoudnt be, she will fight on your side. i dont know what happens if your not, i dont think she would fight against you.

in the fight, try and prevent the enemy from getting spells of. use missile weapons to disrupt their spells, and your fighter to take out the mages first if possible. remember that with the amulet of power or the robe of veccna, you can fire off low-level spells instantly - so use magic missile and acid/flame arrow if you absolutley need to disrupt a spell. silence is useless in this game - every mage has contingency with vocalize in it.

Old 10-29-2001, 04:36 PM   #3
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

As for the fight I can't remember exactly how I did it. Try using all the normal big group tactics e.g. spells like Confusion, Chaos, Hold, etc. Then pile on fighters to whoever is still standing and pick off the rest as and when you feel like it. Admittedly you have to stall them while you cast it... try using Stoneskin to protect the mage doing so or just get someone else in between them and the attackers.

With the Jaheira plot, it all depends on where you want to go with her really. If you want a romance with a happy ending then be supportive. If I remember rightly she tries to stop them doesn't she? Just back her up and tell them to get lost until they attack and she sides with you. The alternative being that you could insult Jaheira and take the relationship to a slightly more hostile stage.

Also it might be best to think of your alignment when answering those kind of questions. I think there is a response somewhere along the lines of "I am my own man and I will do what I want" - v good for chaotic characters.

By the way - hi.

------------------
Life is like a piece of cheese. Mice only enjoy it in cartoons and it is better with toast
Old 10-29-2001, 04:46 PM   #4
Ugaya
Manshoon

1. You can't avoid this fight if Jaheira is in your party and you had done the "Seariching for Montaron quest". The latter triggers the Harper stuff.

2. Make sure she's fight with you to even the odds.

3. Proposals:
Cast Haste, True Sight/Seeing before entering the building. Protect Jaheira by her iron skins and your mages with stone skin.
Concentrate on the enemy spell slingers (use breach against their combat protections, Jaheira's insect plague is also helpful). Keep them busy with magic missiles and range weapons.
If you can try a cloudkill (target it somewhere behind the Harpers to make sure your party will not suffer). Cloudkill combined with web can kill -if they fail their saves - most of them. Chaos (5th level) removes - if successful - at least temporarily enemies from the fight.