Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2002, 08:40 AM   #11
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker:
From past experience, I think this forum will get nasty like the last time it was active. I hope not, but the signs are there. I'm going to try to not be the inciter of the riots.

Matk
Now Mark, let's have a bit of optimism. I think it can be a good, solid discussion of events and topics as long as people remember to avoid baiting or TAKING bait. Even more importantly, avoiding the temptation to try and force one's opinion on someone else who quite obviously isn't likely to change their own very different opinion.

So, we are all clear:
NO flaming- that means you don't pop into a thread, tell someone they are stupid etc.

No baiting- pretty simple one here- don't post things that are meant to rile another member up and make them mad enough to flame you.

Be polite. If you disagree, do so with some respect for the fact that you are speaking to another member who has as much right to his/her opinion as you do.

No Country Bashing- this one is really a flamebait topic but as Ziroc has mentioned it specifically, I'll reiterate it: Don't go making statements like "All Canadians/Americans/Irish/Martians want war, they like destroying helpless chickens and kids and are vicious warmongering communist-hating and stuck on themselves, we should all hate them."

Ok, so Mars isn't technically a country... But you get the idea.

And please, let's NOT sit and plot the doom and gloom scenarios for this place before we even get a decent head of steam behind it.

[ 12-31-2002, 08:41 AM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 12-31-2002, 09:27 AM   #12
MagiK

Ummm....Cloudy......It is a well known fact that ALL martians want to kill ALL chickens...its coded into their DNA. They told me so themselves....

Edit: Oh they don't have DNA they use NAD. They have lots of NAD's

[ 12-31-2002, 09:28 AM: Message edited by: MagiK ]
Old 12-31-2002, 10:07 AM   #13
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
Ummm....Cloudy......It is a well known fact that ALL martians want to kill ALL chickens...its coded into their DNA. They told me so themselves....

Edit: Oh they don't have DNA they use NAD. They have lots of NAD's
*thwacks MagiK for spamming and chortles at his skill in getting the word 'nads into a serious discussion thread* [img]tongue.gif[/img]

LOL, well at least we know you read the rules!

[ 12-31-2002, 10:07 AM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 12-31-2002, 10:09 AM   #14
MagiK

*looks properly chastised* heh, I should have read this first before I posted...I would have worded a post or two differently. I really do need to learn to read first things first. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 12-31-2002, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: MagiK ]
Old 12-31-2002, 10:19 AM   #15
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Question Mark

This forum will probably get a bit heated and passionate at times and that's understandable - this is a passionate subject. We won't be suppressing anybody's view, as long as it a) isn't of obvious criminal intent b) is delivered with respect; and c) sticks to the topic at hand and doesn't get personal. All I would ask is that people respect that an opinion is just that - an opinion. Just because it's yours doesn't make it right.

A good tip would be: if you can't handle someone disagreeing with you and don't feel like you can shake hands with the person you're arguing with at the end of the discussion and let bygones be bygones, even if they disagreed with you, then stay out of it anyway.

If you feel that someone is getting personal with you, then PM one of us and we will decide. We will be fair. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Good luck and remember: moderators are there to moderate behaviour - not mediate in disputes and differences of opinion between members. We're moderators, not judges. So to that note, if we come in, we will NOT be deciding whose opinion is right or wrong - we will be there to prevent things from getting out of control, and our decisions will be final. We won't be entertaining any rules lawyers or people looking at loopholes/technicalities. Sorry, but that's the way it has to be. If you can't accept that, then don't participate.

Those are the rules - nobody can say they weren't told beforehand. Pretend we're at Ziroc's house, sitting in his living room, all having a beer and discussing this face to face - this might help when deciding how to conduct the discussion.

My ideal situation is to never have to get involved in an admin/moderator sense - but we all need your help. Let's all treat each other and each other's opinions with respect. Someone disagreeing with your opinion is NOT an offence - listening to other people's perspective can be very helpful because it will either a) change your viewpoint; or b) strengthen it. So don't come crying to us just because someone didn't agree with your opinion. It's up to you to convince them - or to be man/woman enough to be the first to extend your hand, shake and agree to disagree with them if you can't.

Cheers and happy debating. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 12-31-2002, 10:29 AM: Message edited by: Memnoch ]

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 10:46 AM   #16
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Someone disagreeing with your opinion is NOT an offence - listening to other people's perspective can be very helpful because it will either a) change your viewpoint; or b) strengthen it. So don't come crying to us just because someone didn't agree with your opinion. It's up to you to convince them - or to be man/woman enough to be the first to extend your hand, shake and agree to disagree with them if you can't.

Cheers and happy debating. [img]smile.gif[/img]
I hope that Memnoch does not mind me putting particular emphasis on the above extract from his excellent post. By it's very nature this forum is going to stir up some very passionate emotions and no doubt thare will be controversial opinions posted.

I would ask that all participants exercise restraint, especially when replying to a post that "pushes their buttons" so to speak. If you really feel enraged by a particular viewpoint, that is absolutely the wrong time to compose a hasty and emotional reply. Stand up, walk about, have a cup of coffee or go for a walk. In fact, do anything rather than start or participate in a flamewar. You are all reasonably intelligent people - use that intelligence to respond in a reasoned and respectful way.

Finally, and connected to the above is a question. I would ask that you examine whether this is the sort of debate and discussion that you really wish to participate in? I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from giving an opinion, but I have rather bad memories of some of the behaviour from this forum when it was last open.

By it's very subject matter, this forum will tend to be more rough and tumble than most. If you habitually get upset by disagreements or do not thrive on serious debate, then this forum may not be the place for you. I'm sure that I speak for the mods here when I say that they do not have the time to play therapist to every fragile ego which might become bruised.

Anyway, enough of the serious stuff, I'm away to participate in a "Murder Mystery" themed Hogmanay party. I expect to sober up around 3rd January. Until then, have fun, behave and have a Happy New Year

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 10:20 PM   #17
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker:
From past experience, I think this forum will get nasty like the last time it was active. I hope not, but the signs are there. I'm going to try to not be the inciter of the riots.

Matk
Well, unlike last time, if I see ANYONE starting trouble, they will get their thread deleted with no explaination, and get booted out of this forum. No 'warnings' here.. I warned everyone in this thread.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 03:26 AM   #18
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Fully understood Ziroc.
Although I guess we all can get caught up in the moment every once in a while eh?
Old 01-06-2003, 04:15 PM   #19
Garnet FalconDance
Mephistopheles

I must have had my head in the sand 'cause I didn't even notice there was a new 'war' forum! Oh my. Not to worry, Sir Moderators (and Lady Cloudy). I'll be a good girl .

And thanks for once again providing a safe discussion spot for this topic.
Old 01-06-2003, 04:36 PM   #20
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

[img]graemlins/alarm.gif[/img]

Read and understood.

[ 01-06-2003, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]