Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-21-2004, 08:18 PM   #1
Spirits forever

http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin1995-04.html

that's the link

Quote:
The Arizona Highway Patrol were mystified when they came upon a pile of smoldering wreckage embedded in the side of a cliff rising above the road at the apex of a curve. The metal debris resembled the site of an airplane crash, but it turned out to be the vaporized remains of an automobile. The make of the vehicle was unidentifiable at the scene.

The folks in the lab finally figured out what it was, and pieced together the events that led up to its demise.

It seems that a former Air Force sergeant had somehow got hold of a JATO (Jet Assisted Take-Off) unit. JATO units are solid fuel rockets used to give heavy military transport airplanes an extra push for take-off from short airfields.

Dried desert lakebeds are the location of choice for breaking the world ground vehicle speed record. The sergeant took the JATO unit into the Arizona desert and found a long, straight stretch of road. He attached the JATO unit to his car, jumped in, accelerated to a high speed, and fired off the rocket.

The facts, as best as could be determined, are as follows:

The operator was driving a 1967 Chevy Impala. He ignited the JATO unit approximately 3.9 miles from the crash site. This was established by the location of a prominently scorched and melted strip of asphalt. The vehicle quickly reached a speed of between 250 and 300 mph and continued at that speed, under full power, for an additional 20-25 seconds. The soon-to-be pilot experienced G-forces usually reserved for dog-fighting F-14 jocks under full afterburners.

The Chevy remained on the straight highway for approximately 2.6 miles (15-20 seconds) before the driver applied the brakes, completely melting them, blowing the tires, and leaving thick rubber marks on the road surface. The vehicle then became airborne for an additional 1.3 miles, impacted the cliff face at a height of 125 feet, and left a blackened crater 3 feet deep in the rock.

Most of the driver's remains were not recovered; however, small fragments of bone, teeth, and hair were extracted from the crater, and fingernail and bone shards were removed from a piece of debris believed to be a portion of the steering wheel.

Ironically a still-legible bumper sticker was found, reading
"How do you like my driving? Dial 1-800-EAT-**** ."
how ironical(ironic) is that.. i kinda feel bad for the person..and mind you.. this is very very true, a good thing for kicks, but it's real so..don't laugh..too much [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]

EDIT: according to arvon..and snopes..it's an urban legend..i stand corrected,

Edit:guess ironical isn't a word XD

[ 11-21-2004, 11:03 PM: Message edited by: Spirits forever ]

Old 11-21-2004, 09:03 PM   #2
Arvon
Unicorn

Sorry but this is an urban legand. Check Snopes.com for details.

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Old 11-21-2004, 09:40 PM   #3
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Definatly an Urban Legend. I've seen this SO many times.

It is a funny read though and would be even funnier to see.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:01 PM   #4
Seraph
Quintesson

Quote:
EDIT: according to arvon..and snopes..it's an urban legend..i stand corrected,
The bit where the page you linked to said "Jet Assisted Take-Off 1995 Darwin Awards Winner Confirmed Bogus by Darwin" wasn't a clue that it was fake?
Old 11-21-2004, 10:08 PM   #5
armageddon272
Symbol of Cyric

ive heard a slight reinturpretation of this. thats how i expect to die, doing something unexplainably stupid.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:24 PM   #6
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Lol, ive posted this ages ago, and its been here quite a few times.But still great for a laugh.

BTW is "Ironical" a word?? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
No offence intended Spirits, I think its just Ironic.
Hmm dont even know why i mentioned that...
Old 11-21-2004, 10:29 PM   #7
Spirits forever

Quote:
Originally posted by Hivetyrant:
Lol, ive posted this ages ago, and its been here quite a few times.But still great for a laugh.

BTW is "Ironical" a word?? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
No offence intended Spirits, I think its just Ironic.
Hmm dont even know why i mentioned that...
i think so...pretty sure.. ironic..ironic...
damn...might not be...damn..i'm getting bashed from everydirection...

XD first the urban legend. and then the clue that seraph put,. and now this...

why..why XD still funny XD

Old 11-21-2004, 10:35 PM   #8
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

lol, im not making fun of you......... Or am I [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Haha, dont worry, every time I see this story I cant shake the image of a crazy guy with his head out the window just as his car starts to pick up speed...
In other words, BOgus or not, this story is hilarious.
But I dont see why they put the bumper sticker in there, it wasnt in the original story, and it kind of makes the joke seem obvious.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:43 PM   #9
Spirits forever

Quote:
Originally posted by Hivetyrant:
lol, im not making fun of you......... Or am I [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Haha, dont worry, every time I see this story I cant shake the image of a crazy guy with his head out the window just as his car starts to pick up speed...
In other words, BOgus or not, this story is hilarious.
But I dont see why they put the bumper sticker in there, it wasnt in the original story, and it kind of makes the joke seem obvious.
yes you are making fun of me...and yeah i think that the sticker was the funniest thing.,. it just took the cake, and i started craking up after that XD
it does make it seem ovious,but at the same time it is funny

edit: sig gone crazy...trying to fix//
Edit:still tryign to fix

[ 11-21-2004, 10:48 PM: Message edited by: Spirits forever ]

Old 11-21-2004, 11:16 PM   #10
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

I always get confused when someone posts "XD"...

Anyway, I did indeed want to laugh at this, did not, for fear it may be real, and then did when given the facts...

Is that what you really want to say?