Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 03-08-2003, 10:02 AM   #11
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Light Bulb

Both nettles and milkweed could cause this sensation. Poison ivy is usually more generalised, with an urticarial rash (hives). I would recommend thorough hand-washing and drying, followed by Cort-aid and/or aloe. Benadryl lotion is good, but if taken in the oral form tends to make you sleepy. [img]graemlins/blueblink.gif[/img]
Old 03-08-2003, 01:30 PM   #12
Epona
Zartan

Do you get nettles over there? They are common in England, nasty buggers they are too.

If you touch them, you get a rash that comes up in bumps and an itchy burning sensation. It subsides after a few hours and isn't dangerous unless you are allergic to them - a severe allergic reaction might include breathing difficulties, if that happens get to a hospital, other than that medical attention won't be required.

The best remedy is to rub the affected area with dock leaves, which (at least in England) often grow nearby. Other than that aloe vera may soothe it. But it will pass, doesn't last long.

If they *are* nettles, (you mentioned fireweed, but as far as I know that's not an irritant - can grow up to 8 feet tall and has pink flowers in the autumn, so look quite different to nettles) you can make excellent fertiliser with them. Pull them up (wearing gloves) put in a tub, cover with boiling water, and leave until cool. Then you can use the liquid as fertiliser - one of the best there is.

Or you can make nettle tea - steep nettle leaves (washed well) in a cup of hot water, strain, and drink - sweetened if you like. Tastes horrid to be honest, but some people like it, and it's rich in iron.

Also it's worth leaving a small patch growing - they can be invasive so will need beating back every once in a while - but in the summer they attract lots of good pollinating insects such as butterflies and honey bees into your garden, so in general it is good to have some around.

[ 03-08-2003, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: Epona ]
Old 03-09-2003, 12:18 AM   #13
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Aloe Vera. I swear by it. Don't waste your time with chemical balms and whatnot. Zip down to your local hippie shop (or the nearest Florida equiv) and get a natural Aloe balm which i guarantee will soothe all pain and irritation from plant cuts and stings. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

[Edit: emphasis on guarantee!]

[ 03-09-2003, 12:21 AM: Message edited by: Sever ]
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Old 03-09-2003, 01:08 AM   #14
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
Do you get nettles over there? They are common in England, nasty buggers they are too.

If you touch them, you get a rash that comes up in bumps and an itchy burning sensation. It subsides after a few hours and isn't dangerous unless you are allergic to them - a severe allergic reaction might include breathing difficulties, if that happens get to a hospital, other than that medical attention won't be required.

The best remedy is to rub the affected area with dock leaves, which (at least in England) often grow nearby. Other than that aloe vera may soothe it. But it will pass, doesn't last long.

If they *are* nettles, (you mentioned fireweed, but as far as I know that's not an irritant - can grow up to 8 feet tall and has pink flowers in the autumn, so look quite different to nettles) you can make excellent fertiliser with them. Pull them up (wearing gloves) put in a tub, cover with boiling water, and leave until cool. Then you can use the liquid as fertiliser - one of the best there is.

Or you can make nettle tea - steep nettle leaves (washed well) in a cup of hot water, strain, and drink - sweetened if you like. Tastes horrid to be honest, but some people like it, and it's rich in iron.

Also it's worth leaving a small patch growing - they can be invasive so will need beating back every once in a while - but in the summer they attract lots of good pollinating insects such as butterflies and honey bees into your garden, so in general it is good to have some around.
That looks like the plant! (She is fine now) just itched for a few hours.. I remember pulling these weeds/plants and never itch (Although, I am immune to poison ivy too.. maybe that has something to do with it? [img]smile.gif[/img] ) I can rub poison ivy all over my arm and never get bumps or rash.. Lucky I guess

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 03-09-2003, 01:28 AM   #15
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Tiger Balm will usually do the trick but I don't know whether you got it over there.
Old 03-09-2003, 05:32 AM   #16
GokuZool
Lord Ao

I thought stinging nettles only grew in England...

and possibly Australia

Around 2 years ago, I swore I saw a nettle in the garden. So I went over to it and touched it [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Stupid, I know
Old 03-09-2003, 09:40 AM   #17
Brennihelvete

Quote:
Originally posted by GokuZool:

and possibly Australia

Around 2 years ago, I swore I saw a nettle in the garden. So I went over to it and touched it [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Stupid, I know
No, it grows everywhere, theres plenty of them in Norway too. I remember when I was about 5 years old I fell into a bunch of them. Ooo did that hurt [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-09-2003, 10:09 AM   #18
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

They abound in Texas, too, several different species, I believe.
Old 03-09-2003, 01:59 PM   #19
slicer15
Symbol of Cyric

I didn't realize that they weren't as common in America as England...I mean if I saw those I would recognize them straight away, but I guess they aren't in America if you didn't know what they were...wow...you learn something new everyday! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-09-2003, 02:03 PM   #20
Sigmar
Unicorn

Quote:
Originally posted by GokuZool:

and possibly Australia

Stupid, I know
Nah, we got them here in Gibraltar, and I've seen them in Canada.