Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2001, 12:34 PM   #11
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Was it maybe a threat made by a radical group to kill the 50,000 Christians there?
Old 12-06-2001, 12:52 PM   #12
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

I had some Indonesian and Malay students in Singapore tonight, all of whom recieved anxious text messages from various people. The trouble has been brewing for months apparently. This is not an isolated incident from a particularly militant group.

All were very worried.

I too, when I heard, looked to see if media were covering it. Of course it's Sulawesi. If it was in Belgium it would be a different story.

I found none so I posted here. We are a source of information sharing. If it turns out to be false, I'd be more than relieved. Egg on face would be wonderful.

If true, I'd hope international awareness - and quick - would do something to prevent it. Pressure on Megawati to curtail the more radicaly violent movements in her nation.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 12-06-2001, 12:57 PM   #13
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
I am kind of skeptical about posts like this, Where are these 50,000 people being held? how are they planning on exterminating so many people all at once? do they plan a mass grave? or will they let the bodies rot...while it isnt impossible to execute 50,000 people, it is rather hard logisticly to round them all up...then you have to do soemthing with the bodies...I wouldnt get too upset untill there is more cooberative evidence.

Don't know. I posted only what was passed on to me. I don't know what "trapped" means. I don't know the timeline.

Some of the guys here reacted with forlorn acceptance, as Sulawesi has apparently had trouble for a while now. They condemned Megawati as "doing nothing".

Others were gravely concerned.

As they believed it, so do I. They know this area, it's politics and it's events better than I do.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 12-06-2001, 01:39 PM   #14
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

yikes... but then 50,000 peeps are enough to start a stampede and crush the bad guys out right? nah, if it were true they probably would have cannons and stuff...

if memory serves me right, it is similar to the inquisition, but i think those were jews not christians(or was it jesuits? bah)... and that was a massacre also...
Old 12-06-2001, 01:58 PM   #15
Argus
The Magister

This is the only thing I could find on the situation:

http://www.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/asiapc...ops/index.html
Old 12-06-2001, 02:18 PM   #16
Sir ReGiN
Gold Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
I am kind of skeptical about posts like this, Where are these 50,000 people being held? how are they planning on exterminating so many people all at once? do they plan a mass grave? or will they let the bodies rot...while it isnt impossible to execute 50,000 people, it is rather hard logisticly to round them all up...then you have to do soemthing with the bodies...I wouldnt get too upset untill there is more cooberative evidence.

Well they really don't have to kill the people, just threatening to do it may be enough..
At least I hope so
Old 12-06-2001, 02:28 PM   #17
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Thanks,Argus, for that link! I had heard of the unrest down that way and am not surprised to hear that Yorick's students are getting msgs from home about the conditions being worse. It sounds very much like a hotbed of hate and distrust and hopefully it can be contained and no more lives lost.

Cloudy
Old 12-06-2001, 02:42 PM   #18
MagiK

quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:

Don't know. I posted only what was passed on to me. I don't know what "trapped" means. I don't know the timeline.

Some of the guys here reacted with forlorn acceptance, as Sulawesi has apparently had trouble for a while now. They condemned Megawati as "doing nothing".

Others were gravely concerned.

As they believed it, so do I. They know this area, it's politics and it's events better than I do.

Sorry Yorik I didnt mean to sound like I doubted you..I didn't what I ment to indicate that I had my doubts about the veracity of the infop itself. I realize what you were trying to do...and just ment that people here shouldnt panic before we find out more.....again I apologize.

Old 12-06-2001, 02:45 PM   #19
MagiK

quote:
Originally posted by Bahamut:
yikes... but then 50,000 peeps are enough to start a stampede and crush the bad guys out right? nah, if it were true they probably would have cannons and stuff...

if memory serves me right, it is similar to the inquisition, but i think those were jews not christians(or was it jesuits? bah)... and that was a massacre also...

The Inquisition was not just jews, it was anyone the "mother church" and her representatives had a beef with, they even started going after normal businesses if they didnt give enough in kickbacks, Royals were "encouraged" to buy "special dispensations" so that their sins would not count against them...was a dark dark chapter for the Roman Catholic church.

Old 12-06-2001, 03:11 PM   #20
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Argus:
This is the only thing I could find on the situation:

http://www.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/asiapc...ops/index.html
[/Q UOTE]

Hm. Having read that report it looks like both christians and muslims are just fighting each other... no one engaged in general massacre.... but probably Yorick's info is more up to date.