Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2001, 07:17 AM   #41
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
I shall not bother throwing pearls before swine number 250 so this shall be my last post to you.

The Djinn are Arabic are they not? The Arabian Nights? The Genie of the lamp? Arabic countries are in Asia I believe, and not in a fantasy elemental plane.

Did you read Lifetimes post or did you fill your eyes with dung?

Magic in mythology is used to describe feats beyond the understanding of mere men. Practitioners of such arcane crafts are labelled many things in different areas. Druids of Celtic Mythology, Fakhirs from India, Shamen and Witchdoctors from Africa, and now we have been illuminated by Lifetimes eloquent post on Chinese "Magicians".

Thus in Baldurs Gate 2 the closest one could get to a practitioner of such mysteries would fall under the character classes, Mage, Enchanter, Diviner, Transmuter, etc. to fit in with an 'Asian' theme, just as an Assassin could loosely be linked to a Ninja and a Cleric to a physician or even a Jesuit-like Missionary.

I enjoy discussions and differing opinions, but your refusal to debate factualy without appearing to read or respect anothers opinion bores me.

Adios number 250.

Arbric countries dont belong to Asia, Kara-tus is dedicated to eastern asian cultures. NO WIZARD
Old 03-14-2001, 07:28 AM   #42
Donut
Jack Burton

Yorick probably won't respond 250. But I would be very interested to know which continent Saudi Arabia is on?

------------------
The Truth is in the Profile
Old 03-14-2001, 07:34 AM   #43
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
Yorick probably won't respond 250. But I would be very interested to know which continent Saudi Arabia is on?

well, me too.

but Kara-tur is still eastern asia culture.

Old 03-14-2001, 07:49 AM   #44
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:

Hi Donut. I believe Saudi Arabia, along with Iraq, Kumait, UAE, Bahrain, Jordan, Syria etc are part of the Asian continent. Found an online encyclopedia just for you. I believe I told the numeral (in a previous post) that Kara-Tur wasn't Asia didn't I Donut?

Asia
Boundaries
Asia's border with Europe-which, geographically, may be regarded as a peninsula of the Eurasian landmass-lies approximately along the Urals, the Ural River, the Caspian Sea, the Caucasus, the Black Sea, the Bosporus and Dardanelles straits, and the Aegean Sea. The connection of Asia with Africa is broken only by the Suez Canal between the Mediterranean Sea and the Red Sea. In the far northeast of Asia, Siberia is separated from North America by the Bering Strait. The continent of Asia is washed on the S by the Gulf of Aden, the Arabian Sea, and the Bay of Bengal; on the E by the South China Sea, East China Sea, Yellow Sea, Sea of Japan, Sea of Okhotsk, and Bering Sea; and on the N by the Arctic Ocean.

------------------
FAIR DINKUM!

[This message has been edited by Yorick (edited 03-14-2001).]
Old 03-14-2001, 07:52 AM   #45
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

nice recitation. but Kara-tur is dedicated to eastern asia culture. take a look at ALL the kingdoms in kara-tur, none has any indication of western such as Arabia.

those daos are at Calimshan
Old 03-14-2001, 07:54 AM   #46
Zateel
Zhentarim Guard

Dare I stick my input in the midst of this "heated" topic? Falcar was asking about party composition. The whole point is to have fun with the game you're playing, for it's unlikely that someone will access your hard drive in years to come and say, "Well how do you like that! He had a mage, and when the hell was there ever a Chinese mage?"

Remember, Earth and the "Prime Material Plane" are two different things. If I enjoy playing a Kensai/Mage (Oh, and I do...) then I think that my enjoyment of this outways the fact(or lack of facts, as this topic has shown)that it may not be truly Easten (or Kara-Turan, or whatever). So guys- have fun and quit arguing about "Facts". This is just an adult version of "make-belive", by the way.

------------------
and the flaming sword turning every way, guards the tree of life.
Old 03-14-2001, 08:07 AM   #47
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Zateel:
Dare I stick my input in the midst of this "heated" topic? Falcar was asking about party composition. The whole point is to have fun with the game you're playing, for it's unlikely that someone will access your hard drive in years to come and say, "Well how do you like that! He had a mage, and when the hell was there ever a Chinese mage?"

Remember, Earth and the "Prime Material Plane" are two different things. If I enjoy playing a Kensai/Mage (Oh, and I do...) then I think that my enjoyment of this outways the fact(or lack of facts, as this topic has shown)that it may not be truly Easten (or Kara-Turan, or whatever). So guys- have fun and quit arguing about "Facts". This is just an adult version of "make-belive", by the way.

point taken, and well said

Old 03-14-2001, 08:12 AM   #48
Moiraine
Anubis

I just stumbled in this thread, and I cant't believe, 250, how you can be so aggressive and close-minded. Would you have payed closer attention to the people here, you would know by now that Yorick is one of the most cultured people here, and that his posts are always interesting to read and open our minds to new ways of thinking. I thought a forum was a wonderful place to exchange thoughts and ideas. Don't you agree ? Please pay attention when you start insulting someone with "you don't know a shit" stuff. Ancient Greeks stated that the wisest man is he who knows that he doesn't know. Respect is the key.

------------------
Old 03-14-2001, 08:18 AM   #49
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

In Chronological order:

Quote:
Originally posted by Falcar:
What do you guys think about a party with an eastern(asian) theme?
Quote:
Originally posted by 250:
dude, you dont know shit. no flame. if Kara-tur is not asia, then what is it? what is Shao Lung? (china)? Kusazi (something like that) is japan, and there are countries imitate korean, and south asia island countries, if Kara-tur is not asia, then what is asia?
Quote:
I meant, and I thought this obvious, that however Kara-Tur may be based on a few of the myriad cultures that exist in the manifold behemoth Asia is, it remains a fantasy realm.
Next time you inform someone that they 'don't know shit' I suggest you make sure you don't end up eating it "250".
Quote:
You are obviously intent on limiting Asia to the Chinese sphere of influence
Quote:
Originally posted by 250:
nice recitation. but Kara-tur is dedicated to eastern asia culture. take a look at ALL the kingdoms in kara-tur, none has any indication of western such as Arabia.

those daos are at Calimshan
Quote:
Originally posted by Zateel:

Remember, Earth and the "Prime Material Plane" are two different things....So guys- have fun and quit arguing about "Facts". This is just an adult version of "make-belive", by the way.
Haven't I already said that Zateel? Why the plural reference? Thanks for your two cents though

------------------
FAIR DINKUM!
Old 03-14-2001, 09:17 AM   #50
Lifetime
Red Dragon

250, I have nothing against you personally, but I do believe you're being a little unfair towards the Asian culture.
I believe that the argument to include Wizards was because firstly, they are essential to successful play in BG2, and secondly, they can be linked to asian themes. If Arthur can have Merlin, why not the Qin Emperors and their Court Scientists? And in case you think that there WERE no educated men of that caliber capable of performing the amazing (in the eyes of a commoner) feats, China had an imperial school and held national examinations to locate talented men to serve in the Imperial Courts. Nobody is saying that there is a direct example of mages and wizards in Chinese or Japanese history (though there WERE many shamans and holy men believed to have divine powers in other parts of Asia) like there is to Assassins or Kensai, however it is entirely possible to link the Educated Men in the Chinese Dynasties to the Mages in BG2. This post is still on forming an Asian themed party for enjoyment, not historical accuracy. IF you wish to discuss Asian history and folklore, I would be happy to do so in the General Forum. There Is a possibility that wizards can be linked to Figures in Chinese History and Mythology, and thats what the person who recommended mages(Yorick? Im not sure) was thinking I'm sure. Kensai are not the direct translation of Samurai, Monks are not the direct translation of ShaoLin Martial artists and I'm sure that nobody debates the fact that Wizards and Sorcerors are not direct translations of Early Chinese Scientists, so please be more open minded when dealing with other members of this board. We are all entitled to our own opinions on playing the game.

------------------
Why?