Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2001, 10:41 AM   #1
shirldur
Welcomed New User

my computer locked up complete after finishing skull castle - i saved coming out of brimloch on the dock and that was all she wrote - is it me or another glitch?
shirldur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2001, 01:02 PM   #2
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Ok...did you finish Skull Castle and then go to Brimloch Roon and save, then crash, or was your last save before you even started Skull Castle?

All games are prone to crashing, especially on the Windows platforms, so save, save, save! Repeatedly and often.

One last question: did you, perchance, equip the Vampire Ring? If you're playing an unpatched game, that will crash you every time.

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2001, 02:39 PM   #3
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to the board, shirldur!!!

Hope we will be able to sort out your crash problem. Always wise to give us a good description of your computer's hardward and the OS you are using. Check Saz's techie help desk thread too - you may find the answer to your problem in there!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2001, 11:00 PM   #4
Boppa
Elite Waterdeep Guard

CRASH - FREEZE - ALAKAZAM!! I have had numerous FREEZES while playing this game. Can happen any time! Generally, I my cases, it is while moving over terrain or even elsewhere in dungeons, etc. Perhaps, in my case, it could be the lousy video chip on my Mommaboard?? I have had this FREEZE rarely while involved in a battle. Bloody lockups, (never mind, I won't say it)!! Mine usually require only that I whack the "ESC" key - which takes me back to my good old desktop so we can give it another try!! AS FOR GAMES BEING PRONE TO CRASHING ON THE WINDOWS PLATFORM SAZERAC, I CAN'T SAY THAT I HAVE FOUND THAT TO BE A FAIR ASSESSMENT!!! I HAVE PLAYED MORE THAN SEVERAL GAMES ON THIS OS AND THIS IS THE FIRST TO HAVE GIVEN ME LOCKUP PROBLEMS!!
Boppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2001, 08:36 AM   #5
MagiK

Boppa, On the forums for games like BG, BG2, TOB, SFC, SFC2, Ultima 9, IWD, and many other games along with many hardware related forums there are MILLIONS of posts complaining of lockups, freezes and desktop crashes. The gaming industry is rife with them. As far as I can tell these bugs are more related to hardware and less than optimum system configuration than it is to a really bad game. As for WnW I have had 3 or 4 lockups with my system. So far it looks like each one was due to a resource conflict with my hardware and not really the games fault.

------------------
Disintigration is easy, If you really want to impress me, ReIntegrate it.
Old 09-07-2001, 03:35 PM   #6
axel
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have 30+ gigs of games installed on my Windows Me system and W&W is the only one that has given me a serious headache. Even DOS games cooperate better than W&W did. For four months I couldn't get the stupid game to run and then some genius on Usenet found the solution: the Intel Indeo drivers. Since then it works fine for me, but I admit I haven't played it enough to see if it crashes anymore.

The point is that Heuristic Park didn't program or test the game as well as they should have. I've heard many people complaining of this being the *only* game on their system that's ridiculously unstable.

Ritesh
axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2001, 12:09 AM   #7
Boppa
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Sorry MAGIK, I have not read the forums on all those other games. Probably never will! I can dig what you are saying about hardware problems. I am going to assume that that is my problem. Although, is does seem a bit stupid that the OS will occassionally give me that CRAP about limited resources. HELL, I run this WIZZYS game with nothing but the EXPLORER running with it (except for the INVISIBLE stuff they claim is hiding somewhere in the background)!! I have plently of HD (40 GB - split into 6 equal partitions) with plently of free space for the game, a slow 450MZ (by todays standards) processor, a SOUND BLASTER LIVE sound card, WINDOWS 98 OS, and an unknown VIDEO CARD (which may be my problem). I frequently run the DEFRAG on all HDs since I do a lot of stuff with inputting music from my ANALOG sources. Currently have in excess of 1000 pieces of music in there with a lot more to come - create my own CDs. Perhaps I should stick with music and to hell with the games. System doesn't lock up when I fiddle with music!!!
Boppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2001, 07:54 AM   #8
Neb
Account deleted by Request

I've never tried any other OS than Windows, but to me, Windows 98 seems reasonably stable, it never amounts to anything more than about 1 or 2 crashes every month, does that seem overly unstable to you? I used to have a REALLY unstable computer, and I blamed Windows every time it locked up or crashed, but then I noticed that my computer had some problems with it's temperature, a new fan fixed it, then it began crashing again, this time it was voltage problems, a new power supply fixed that, then, after getting a 1 Ghz Amd Duron processor, it began one final time, forcing me to underclock my processor so that it now runs as a 950 Mhz processor, not one of these crashes have been Windows related.
Neb is offline   Reply With Quote