Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-22-2001, 01:05 PM   #141
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Kaz felt as if she were falling into darkness. She had considered this course of action for a long time, but had finally decided after her conversation with Mistral. Instead of running away from her past, she had decided to confront it...

Kaz was standing on grass in a forest. She looked around, seeing trees with dark green leaves. Spree would know what they were, yet Kaz was no ranger. It was silent and - somehow - peaceful. Kazara looked ahead and had to stifle a shout. Where only moss had been before, two people were standing. The first was a tall elf, with black hair. His features were strong yet fine, like a chiseled marble statue. He was wearing deep aquamarine clothes over what looked like chain mail and held a longsword in one hand. Eyes so dark blue they were almost black stared solemnly into the woods, but he did not move, as if frozen in time.
The other person, also an elf, seemed to be almost the opposite of the first. Small and slender, with dark green eyes and gold-red hair, she was smiling happily, almost laughing with pleasure it seemed. She was wearing a sea-green dress and holding a wand in one hand. Joy seemed written across her delicate features. The woman was holding a baby in her arms. Despite the distance, Kaz recognized herself.
"Mother, Father!" she whispered, staring at the people she'd never known but who seemed so familiar. She hurried towards them, stopping just in time as she saw a black rift in front of her. She peered into the gap. It was dark, yet far below a light glimmered. Looking at it, she saw a figure come stand in front of it. The figure was tall and muscular, wearing night-black armor with silver runes drawn on it. Its head was bare, except for a black circlet in contrast with the white hair. Its face was nightblack, only the eyes glowed red. Kaz could recognize the cruelty and evil engraved on its face even from here. Staring at it in horror, Kaz lost her balance and fell...

Kaz started moving in her sleep, face twisting in pain and growing even paler. She seemed to be mumbling words, her breath came shallow and short.

OOC: Must leave now, have fun! Just don't wake me up, I'm not done yet!

[This message has been edited by Kaz (edited 10-22-2001).]
Old 10-22-2001, 01:43 PM   #142
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Larry stops weeping to see that Kaz has now gone into a feeverish nightmare, of sorts. Her temperature had risen, and she had broke out into a cold sweat. Larry quickly ran over to the washing bowl and drenched a towel, then places this towel upon her feverish head.

"Hang in there, Kaz...I can't afford to lose you as well."

Larry continues to watch on as Kaz seems to be having a terribly painful nightmare.

"Father...please show me a sign of what I must do...I have lost Mistral and now Kaz is slipping away from me...Father, I need guidance..."

After saying that prayer to his dead father/role model...he realized that he had not prayed to Aerie in such a long time. No matter...She was never there for him, anyway. He had just about given up on the Gods of any faith. What mattered in the now was the well-being of those who he cared for.
Old 10-22-2001, 03:53 PM   #143
mistral4543
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

~ She stares out of the window, her forefinger twirling a curl of her raven black hair. Absently, she places her left hand on the ledge. For a moment, her eyes stare into the horizon, and she is lost in the world of fighting taking place beyond the window. A pang of loneliness strikes her, as she listens to the camaraderie between the swordswomen ~ I don't belong here entirely anymore, much as I'd like to think so… I must be on my way soon. ~ As she looks down, her eyes rest on the ring of fire resistance on her left hand and her cheeks turn pale. ~

~ "What is it, Mistral?" ~ She glances up to see Ursula right in front of her. Hurriedly, she places her hands behind her back ~ "Nothing, Mother Matron." ~ Her pulse races as she feels Ursula's disapproving gaze raking across her face ~ She knows… she knows… ~

~ "You seem troubled, Mistral… and that is most unusual for you. I haven't seen you so discomfited before in all the time you've spent in our Society." ~ She pauses for a moment, before adding sardonically ~ "It's a man, isn't it?" ~ Her words slap Mistral across the cheek. ~ Mistral shakes her head vigorously. ~

~ "Don't deny it, you silly child! Yes, I call you 'child' for the first time since your return, because that is exactly what you've shown yourself to be in the area of love! Your emotions are written all over your face… yes, it started as a fiery romance, I suppose. And now, even the sight of a ring is a painful memory. I cannot believe that you were so foolish as to throw my advice away like that." ~ Ursula sighs heavily ~ "You were always one of my brightest stars." ~

~ Blinking her eyes rapidly, Mistral grips her blades tightly before she finds her normal voice ~ "I am not so lost as you might think, Matron Mother. It is over, as you say, and I am starting my life anew. And this time, I will not fail you again." ~

~ "Good…" ~ A smile of satisfaction forms on Ursula's lips ~ "…good… " ~
Old 10-22-2001, 08:47 PM   #144
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

After a few hours of just setting there, Larry gets up and stretches the weariness from his joints. He looks around and sees that everything is calm and quiet. Neither Spree nor Deiter has come to help. Larry began to sink down into depression. He did not know what to do for Kaz, yet he kept thinking about Mistral, and why she left. He had remembered that she was very upset that she had let her mentors down...what had she really meant by that? What about the kiss...It was pure, wonderful, exciting, breath-taking...lovely. But she had ran from him after that. Was she feeling guilty about something? Another lover, perhaps? Larry's anger almost began to develop, yet he somehow doubted that she had ever known love before. Yet this moment of not knowing anything really began to hurt. Larry needed an escape. His only beloved had left him in the moment of passion and he felt a lonliness even greater than that of his father's passing away.
Leaving specific instructions with the guards that Kaz was to be protected at all cost, and that only Spree was allowed into her room...Larry dashed away...looking for the deepest, darkest lowliest spot in the entire fortress. He came to a stop in front of a door that everyone had been warned not to open and enter, because of unknown danger within the caverns below the underwater fortress. Larry easily broke the lock with his determined srength, and disappeared into the gloom...
Nightblade being the only source of light. He shut and locked the door behind him from the inside.
Old 10-22-2001, 09:07 PM   #145
mistral4543

~ As she trudges up the winding path, she beholds the sorrowful sight ahead. A lone flag raised at half mast wavers in the soft breeze, against a cloudless dark sky. A single crow cries out tragically, its voice echoing in the vastness of the terrain… finally, she reaches the main entrance and gives the door three hard raps. ~

~ The huge door yawns open and a steward steps out. ~ "May I know what it is you want, stranger?" he asks politely, eyeing the hooded figure warily ~ "If you wish for lodgings and food, I'm sorry that it is quite out of the question, for His Lordship has just recently passed away and we are still in mourning." ~

~ "I've been led to believe that this is the home of the Freelight family." ~ She watches his expression as she continues ~ "I have come home to stay." ~ The steward's face contorts in anger ~ "What impudence is this?! Who are you, to declare this stronghold your home? Do you know what you are talking about, you imposter?!" ~ His voice thunders and she hears reinforcements gathering at both sides. ~

~ "I repeat… I have come home to stay." ~ Her clear, assertive voice rings above the sound of blades being unsheathed and bows being lined with arrows ~ "I'm saying that I'm a Freelight. And you're overdoing it; so many of you against a lone woman." ~ At her words, the weapons are lowered momentarily and the steward speaks in a more controlled voice ~ "Very well, you say you're a Freelight. Prove it." ~ Snickers and giggles arise from the back of the crowd, but the steely look in her eyes silences them once and for all. Without a word, she unsheaths Shatter and it glows with its greenish tint. There is a deadly silence and she turns a full round, noting the awe-stricken expression on every face. ~

~ "Where… did you get that?" ~ the steward mutters hoarsely ~ "It belonged to our master! You must have slain him! Fiend!…" ~ He holds his tongue as she whips around, pointing the tip of the katana at his throat ~ "I would suggest that you rephrase what you just said. Your loyalty to Lord Freelight is admirable, but I will not be labelled as my father's murderer." ~

~ "Your father?… Lord Freelight is your father?… But then, you must be…" ~ Realisation dawns on the steward ~ She throws back her hood to further gasps from the audience ~ "Yes, I am Mistral. Daughter of Aragorn and Eilonwy Freelight..." ~

[This message has been edited by mistral4543 (edited 10-22-2001).]
Old 10-22-2001, 09:43 PM   #146
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Larry wanders down the dark steps that lead to unknown peril. He was half hoping that his very life would meet its end in this place. What had he to live for? There was nobody to protect, to love , to honor anymore. He silently crept on, hoping to find a thing to lash out at.

Suddenly, he heard a sound and brought Nightblade around in a blindingly quick arc to slice at the unseen stalker. A simple bat fell to the ground, in two pieces. Larry chuckled at this, but then...it seemed what sounded like a large evil being began to join in his laughter. Was that an echo? Larry wondered...For the longest moment, he just stood there,,,counting his breaths to 100...then began to continue his decent into the blackness. The black emptiness that mirrored his own heart.

[This message has been edited by Larry_OHF (edited 10-22-2001).]
Old 10-22-2001, 09:47 PM   #147
mistral4543

She removes her cloak and places it neatly on the chair facing the dressing table. The room is spacious, tastefully decorated and quite lacking in the opulence displayed in Meldrin's palace. The walls are draped in a midnight blue velvet, and she runs her fingers through the soft material. Walking around, she surveys the arrangement of the furniture and gives an approving nod. ~ Father and Mother certainly knew how to decorate their home to perfection. ~

Suppressing a yawn, she sits on the luxuriously soft bed and stretches her arms wide open. A gust of wind forces the unsecured windows open and she shivers as the chilly air bites her skin. Suddenly, her body stiffens and she turns to look at what had momentarily caught her attention. The drapes had parted slightly to reveal some imagery on the walls…

Jumping out of the bed, she runs to the culprit and yanks the two pieces of velvet apart. She staggers backward, before steadying herself. ~ These two huge portraits… they must be of Father and Mother! ~ She peers at her parents' features, all the while aware that the images are being blurred by the film of tears covering her eyes. ~ Now I finally know what you look like. ~ She pays special attention to Eilonwy's portrait ~ Why do they say I look like you, Mother? You look so much more beautiful, serene and wise. Ever since our last reunion, I've been mostly muddling my way through life. I doubt I can show you that I can make it down here, after all. ~

Sighing, she climbs into bed. With dismay, she realises that fatigue has emerged the victor and she can no longer suppress her thoughts. The last image flitting across her mind is that of a ranger with dark brown hair and green eyes, his face glowing in a bluish light…
Old 10-22-2001, 10:04 PM   #148
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

OOC...my character really misses your character...

Finally reaching the bottom of the cavern, Larry tries to peer into the darkness. Yet, not being elven, he has no infrared vision. The dark just mocks him. Only Nightblade, with her soft blue glow is any comfort. Larry can tell that the absolute darkness is playing tricks on his mind. He keeps envisioning Mistral's face, wherever he turned. Creeping along, his foot met with something. He brings Nightblade down low to see what he found. He jumped straight back when he saw the remains of a half-eaten humanoid form. He lost his breath and began to breathe hard ...then he heard that laughter again. Was his mind just making up this stuff? Was there really a noise? Larry began to sweat, and his hands trembled. Why was he here? How long had he been down here? a few hours? A day?
Loneliness was killing him. Not being able to see was driving him insane. What was he looking for down here? Why had he come?

"Mistral! Are you here?"

There was a long wait...then his own voice returned to him. That showed him the approximate size of the cavern. Extremely large. Were there Drow down here? Why had he thought that Mistral was here?

Suddenly frightened...Larry began to run. He heard the laughter again and ran faster. Where was he running? Is Kaz alive? Suddenly, the floor was no longer there, and Larry fell. He was aware another presence here with him, then there was nothing. He met solidity with a splash.

[This message has been edited by Larry_OHF (edited 10-22-2001).]
Old 10-22-2001, 10:10 PM   #149
mistral4543

{OOC: Well, I'll let her know... Shall we start a new thread named One-Eyed Wolf (Sphere of Chaos/Waiting for Deiter)? I'm serious... it can be a temporary thread while we continue on our own sub-plots }

"Do you know what happened to my father, Henry?" ~ She asks the steward ~ "I mean, what could have caused him to turn into a fallen paladin?"

Henry's face creases as he tries to recall the past ~ "I'm not quite sure myself, My Lady. Times were chaotic then. All I know is that Lady Eilonwy suffered from a delayed childbirth, dying in the process. In his fury, His Lordship sent you straight to the Fighting Society. But when he returned, it was plain for all to see that his anguish would remain a curse, haunting him to his dying breath." ~ He pauses for a moment, scratching his head ~ "On several occasions, I heard him muttering the name of Nightblade in his drunken fits. But then again, one can hardly take seriously the words of a drunkard."

Nightblade! Isn't that the name of Spree's family? Meldrin is certainly one… and back in the woods, she mentioned her father's name as Cyrus Nightblade. That's how the blade was named after him, anyhow… ~ Her head begins to spin a little ~ "Perhaps…you're right." ~ Seeing that he has nothing further to add ~ "Thank you." ~ Henry bows ~ "Very good, My Lady." ~ He walks away.

Mistral's heart is shrouded in a sense of foreboding ~ What did Father do to the Nightblade family? He obviously left Meldrin alone… could he have attacked Spree's immediate family members instead? That would explain why he became a fallen paladin, since he had earlier sworn not to take any sea-elven life. Yet why did he not attack Meldrin, picking on Cyrus instead? It doesn't make sense at all… ~ A sudden thought strikes her ~ Does this make me Spree's enemy? ~ She presses her right temple, rubbing against it firmly ~ It seems the past is giving me nothing but a migraine. How ironic that I've been yearning to know all about it these fourteen years! ~ Her body begins to shake and before long, she breaks into a mocking laughter. ~

[This message has been edited by mistral4543 (edited 10-22-2001).]
Old 10-22-2001, 10:20 PM   #150
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Time to close this thread.
It was a good one, and I am proud of everybody's efforts in the the story.

The next thread is entitled:
The One-Eyed Wolf (Sphere of Chaos/Waiting for Deiter)

------------------

3rd Member of the Ancient OHF
Diamond Ranger of the ALSB (secretarial position & Ambassador)
Father of the wicked but cute child known as MaryBeth

Padre de una niña bien traviosa pero guapa
---------------------
Aisukuríimu ga tabetái desu.