Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2002, 04:48 PM   #1
SherpaDoug
Dungeon Master

Just what is a dread wolf. Is it undead? Or is it just a bigger nastier wolf?
Old 02-21-2002, 04:50 PM   #2
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Hmm, I'm Not Sure. But I Do Know That Vampiric Wolves Are Undead
Old 02-21-2002, 05:11 PM   #3
Mortis
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I think its just a bigger badder mutation of a regular wolf. Very hard to kill when just startin out. Hate vampiric wolves very hard to kill
Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 06:18 PM   #4
Garnet FalconDance
Mephistopheles

Dread wolf--a big, hairy, undead variety of the basic nasty BG wolf--33 HP and worth 650 xp.
Old 02-21-2002, 07:06 PM   #5
Sherpa Doug
Dungeon Master

I suspected dread wolves were undead. I am soloing with a thief/mage and she needed a little help so I gave her a doggie, ie. summon dread wolf special ability. But she has a good alignment, so maybe that wasn't a good choice. Or maybe it is just the taint showing through

Its like having Lassie to help her out. Except he is not really a dog. And he is not really alive...

[ 02-21-2002: Message edited by: Sherpa Doug ]

Old 02-21-2002, 07:59 PM   #6
NiceWorg
Baaz Draconian

I think wolves generally are the most annoying opponents in the whole game, just because of their speed and biting. A pack of dread wolves is always something a starting party wouldn´t like to face, because there is very little hope to survive with small bruises if you happen to get all of them running to you at the same time.

My (or almost everyone´s, if you like) tactic against these nasty pack of wolves was to scout beforehand and try to get just one of them on at time. Back then I didn´t know they´d regenerate when you save and load (That´s why I hit the xp peak only after completing a couple of missions at the city of BG). The whole BG city is a tad too easy, and I probably have to adjust difficulty. Now that I have learned how to play, I think it would be easier to face the wolves.

[img]smile.gif[/img] The End.
Old 02-21-2002, 08:02 PM   #7
JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

Right, dread wolves are undead. Come to think of it, if they are, you should be able to turn them with a turn undead ability. Has anyone tried this ?
Old 02-21-2002, 10:05 PM   #8
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Generally, I never Turn Undead at all--it seems that my Clerics aren't high-level enough to affect anything until well into BG2, and I'd rather fight anyway.

The only Wolves of any sort I pay attention to are the Vampric ones, simply because they require enchanted weapons to hit. I stay away from them until I've got at least 3 people with Plate and +1 weapons or better. After that, it's just "Hey, here comes 2000 EXP, watch out for those Hold attacks."
Old 02-25-2002, 01:41 PM   #9
Lavindathar
Harper

This is a quote from Elminster about Dread Wolves:

"and even revived wolves known as Dread Wolves".

Just confirming that they are 100% dead as are Vampirics'.
Old 02-25-2002, 01:51 PM   #10
SoaS
Dungeon Master

Wolves < Dread Wolves < Winter Wolves < Worgs < Vampiric Wolves

Fun things from time to time. In large packs that is.