Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2003, 01:09 PM   #1
Leslie
Baaz Draconian

Let say you know the game pretty well, you've played it N times, you know all the quests, yada, yada, ...

Let's say you know a lot of cheese stuff (Project Image tricks, Endless spells, MMM exploit, ...), you've soloed a couple of times, yada, yada, ...

What do you guys consider after all this knowledge and experience a fair game ?
Regarding weapons (shield of reflection, balduran, Bloodbane, ...) and spells tactics (project image or simulacrum and rare green scrolls combinations, ...) ?

Just want your opinion how you play the game to have some trouble with it ?
Old 06-24-2003, 01:46 PM   #2
Alson
Galvatron

I think you nailed this one without even trying. The player's strongest weapon isn't Fury. Not even the Staff of the Magi. Heck, Pro-Magic scrolls don't give that much of a safety net and Project Image isn't nearly as cheesy (and being cheesier than Project Briemage is tough!). Yooou've guessed it! It's the Reload option (and, as a result, out-of-character knowledge). If you can forsee what will happen, you will win. Simple. It may take a few more minutes (depending on your machine and skills as a player), but you'll win if you have the willpower. Why? Because the AI is linear, and our mind is not, uncreative as we can be.

Cue personal opinion: To "play it fair" with the game, one should avoid reloads and using the knowledge (s)he gained from previous games. That's a wonderful exercise in self-discipline. There's more! On top of that (as if no reloads wasn't enough), one should also avoid taking advantage of the numerous holes in the game engine - there's no "engine" to exploit in "real life" (read: "real life" in which one can stop time and conjure imaginary beings out of thin air). Finally - lower the difficulty slider to Core Rules, amigo. There's no reason why the enemies should deal double damage if you're trying to make it as fair as possible. And there's that roleplaying thingie, too. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Just my two NIS.
In memory of Ilan Ramon - the first Israeli astronaut.<br /><br /><br />[url]\"http://members.chello.nl/~j.vanthull/BG2SR/Home.htm\" target=\"_blank\">BGII Spells Reference</a> - everything you ever wanted to know about spells!
Alson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 02:04 PM   #3
Leslie
Baaz Draconian

Yeah, I agree. I tried the no reloads FMT but died (in my first try) with Improved Bodhi. Just a couple of seconds of carelesness and adios amigo.

About Core rules - how do you know how much damage should enemies really deal ?
Maybe the Insane is the right amount and the Core is only half ?

Another idea that I have is to have a party and never change weapons for each individual unless in weapon slot (main hand) or when acquiring a new and better weapon.

Example: Keldorn uses only Carsomyr, a crossbow and maybe a halberd, Minsc is dualwielding FOA and DOE and has Mace of Disruption and Crom Faeyr in other weapons slots and will always be dual wielding reagardless of the situation.
Old 06-24-2003, 02:24 PM   #4
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Hm,I will maybe once try this game of yours Alson. Your idea is good too Leslie. Oh and for better playing(assuming that one really knows the game and if he played it N times) without weapons like FoA,CFury...

What do you say?

Edit:from the roleplaying wiew,you do not prebuff.

[ 06-24-2003, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: Xen ]
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 02:48 PM   #5
Leslie
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Xen:

Edit:from the roleplaying wiew,you do not prebuff.
I surely would cast Prot. from Fear before entering a crypt of trying to fight a dragon.
That would be roleplaying, right ?
Assuming that some of your party members might get scared when facing a giant red dragon ?
Old 06-24-2003, 02:58 PM   #6
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Leslie said:
Quote:
I surely would cast Prot. from Fear before entering a crypt of trying to fight a dragon.
That would be roleplaying, right ?
Assuming that some of your party members might get scared when facing a giant red dragon ?
But yes of course. But let`s say that you are roleplaying and do not know that you will face a dragon. But a player usually can assume that he will face dragon,becuase the game has this strange "symbols" before do you meet one. There is usually always big passage(like that you must be worthy) to face a dragon. If your party members get scared just cast Remove fear or something. But like i said:the game has certain symbols before facing a big lizard.

[ 06-24-2003, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: Xen ]
Old 06-24-2003, 03:23 PM   #7
Alson
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Leslie:
I don't! For all I know (= the player in the game), monster X deals YdZ damage. I don't know what Y or Z are. The other me (= the one sitting in front of a computer now), however, knows that BioWare decided that in their fictional world, X will deal YdZ damage. For players who are more interested in challenge (and thus taking the chance of losing immersion), it'll just deal twice the damage they are *supposed* to deal. I think it's safe to say that playing on Insane isn't the idle fair play for both sides. [img]smile.gif[/img]
In memory of Ilan Ramon - the first Israeli astronaut.<br /><br /><br />[url]\"http://members.chello.nl/~j.vanthull/BG2SR/Home.htm\" target=\"_blank\">BGII Spells Reference</a> - everything you ever wanted to know about spells!
Alson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 03:39 PM   #8
Leslie
Baaz Draconian

Just from a memory - I remember dragons dealing around 70 damage on insane.
I think this is more realistic amount than something around 30-35.

I know that there are some strange numbers (Mind Flayer balistic attack is one of those) on insane but I "feel" that it is more realistic to play at this difficulty.
Old 06-24-2003, 03:47 PM   #9
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Well of course. You meet a fearsome giant,big red lizard he spits in you and you recive 30-35 dmg? How is that possible? Or he turns into a fart and he slaps you with his wings and you recive so much-little damage?
Old 06-24-2003, 04:23 PM   #10
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Quote:
Maybe the Insane is the right amount and the Core is only half ?
Maybe yes,but hwo said anything about the insane difficulty has "right" damage? My point in this is that this is not logical enough,becuase the damage is not constant. Then it would be "right" on insane difficulty becuase than if the damage would be constant and as this "right" it would be equal to the Core rules difficulty.
Right?