Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 03-31-2002, 07:48 PM   #1
Atellus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have a question about SOA, first of all I would like to know if I wanted to be a very powerful spell caster what class should I go to. I've heard people say sorcerers are good, but my first instinction was to pick a mage so I'm kind of confused. I don't have SOA yet but I hope to have it very soon in the upcoming week. I hope I can be welcomed on the forums as I will be a regular visitor in the upcoming years SOA will consume of my life [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-31-2002, 08:09 PM   #2
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Sorcerers can cast more spells per days, do not have to memorize them, giving the the ability to cast any spells from the spellbook as soon as they need it, and they do not need to find/buy scrolls to learn new spells.
Old 03-31-2002, 08:17 PM   #3
Glorfindel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Welcome to IW, Attelus [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]

and I wouldnt recommend being a sorcerer cause it is likely u will make wrong spell choices ... I no i did
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 08:24 PM   #4
Atellus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

What do you mean a wrong spell choice?
Old 03-31-2002, 08:43 PM   #5
JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

What he means is that sorcerors get to choose spells when they level up. Mages on the other hand get extra spell slots. But a sorceror can only have at most about 5 or 6 spells of a level. So you might make a wrong choice.
Old 03-31-2002, 08:53 PM   #6
Glorfindel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Yes.... so if u make a wrong choice with a sorcerer ur stuck with it... with a mage however there is alot more flexibility (especially in ToB with the spell deletion option)
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 09:49 PM   #7
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Lesson of the day, stick to a Mage if you want to use magic, unless you know the magic system by heart in the game, in which case, choose the Sorcerer.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 09:57 PM   #8
fable
Quintesson

I'd suggest a sorc, but first do a search here on the word "sorceror," and look at the opinions everybody has for good spells to memorize. [img]smile.gif[/img] As an example: you definitely don't want to memorize the Summon Familiar spell. You only need to cast it once (optimally) in a game, so it would be far easier to locate a scroll and read it. The spells a sorc learns should be the spells they plan on using repeatedly.
fable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 10:05 PM   #9
Lady Blue03
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Im soloing a sorcerer right now, with Vicky for romance, and its goin quite smoothly..ive only died once and im on the last chapter
Old 03-31-2002, 11:02 PM   #10
Encard
Quintesson

I'd say mage... they get a larger spell selection, and that is very useful, especially later on... *shrug* Also, I think at higher levels it sort of evens out more, since you know what to expect and the spell memorization isn't as much of a problem then... *shrug*
Encard is offline   Reply With Quote