Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 12-06-2001, 09:18 AM   #11
Kaleban
Manshoon

Sorry man, but titles like "A New Hope" and "Return of the Jedi" are a bit more inventive than "Attack of the Clones." At least the first two evoked images of rebellion and adventure, the new title could indicate a medical horror story propagated by abortion-clinic bombers.

And as I understood them, the movies were about the characters, not the technology or what could be done with CGI. The first trilogy broke new ground in movie effects, but you still had GREAT performances from Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, and even Mark Hamill. The original had style, panache, and was intended for ALL audiences, not the 5-12 toy market.

I will be sorely dissappointed, as I'm sure many others will, if the movie turns out as you say, with little to no character development. If that's the case, how does Anakin ever turn to the Dark Side, or rebel against his master, or a love triangle emerge? Perhaps you should find out more about how a movie works before you speak about its merits or shortcomings.
Old 12-06-2001, 09:47 AM   #12
Tasselhoff
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I do love the DL series, dont get me wrong just look at my name, But as far as reading, for all who havent read R.A. Salvatore books READ THEM!!! His telling of the Dorw way of life and the city easily paints a great picture and I think out writes Margaret Weiss.

Honestly, I think My favorite Characters in his series are the evil Dudes, Uthegental and Artemis.

Has anyone read the new book that was just released? If so, I heard that Wulfgar is alive?? True?

Tas
Old 12-06-2001, 10:01 AM   #13
Kaleban
Manshoon

Hey Tas, you ever read the Eternal Champion series by Michael Moorcock? I have nearly all the compilations in the series, and Moorcock's writing style is one of the most enjoyable I've read in a long time. I highly recommend the Elric series if nothing else, as he's one of the more "tragic" heroes in the series.
Old 12-06-2001, 10:05 AM   #14
Tasselhoff
Elite Waterdeep Guard

YOu know no I havent read that, BUt a friend a long time ago told me about him and I just forgot, I will pick up those books this Weekend. THanks for remiding me about Elric,

Tas
Old 12-06-2001, 10:13 AM   #15
Kaleban
Manshoon

Several books in the series can usually be found at Barnes & Noble.

Just an FYI!

Old 12-06-2001, 12:48 PM   #16
Dragontooth
Elite Waterdeep Guard

quote:
Originally posted by Kaleban:
I will be sorely dissappointed, as I'm sure many others will, if the movie turns out as you say, with little to no character development. If that's the case, how does Anakin ever turn to the Dark Side, or rebel against his master, or a love triangle emerge? Perhaps you should find out more about how a movie works before you speak about its merits or shortcomings.[/QB]

Dude the Movies are about Anakin! The first movie we see young Anakin with lots of FEAR. Fear is the first step that leads to the dark side. Fear leads to anger, and anger leads to hate, and hate leads to suffering. The second movie you will see Anakin move to the second step towards the darkside. Attack of the clones title. It mean that the clone wars is beginning. If you recall in Star Wars A New Hope old Obi Wan told Luke that his father was a hero in the clone wars.
Second movie you will also see Anakin fall in love with the Queen even more charater development. Even though APM was geared towards kids adults understood what was going on. At least I did.
Dragontooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 01:27 PM   #17
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

quote:
Originally posted by Tasselhoff:
I do love the DL series, dont get me wrong just look at my name, But as far as reading, for all who havent read R.A. Salvatore books READ THEM!!! His telling of the Dorw way of life and the city easily paints a great picture and I think out writes Margaret Weiss.

Honestly, I think My favorite Characters in his series are the evil Dudes, Uthegental and Artemis.

Has anyone read the new book that was just released? If so, I heard that Wulfgar is alive?? True?

Tas

Actually, Tas, that book came out about a year ago. It was the 3rd or 4th in the new series featuring our IceWind Dale Heroes. Are you sure you want to know the answer?

OK. YES, Wulfgar is alive and eventually rejoins his friends....but his personality is MUCH different. I won't give away the plot line, but it is a good book. The Silent Blade leads to his return followed by The Spine of the World which deals exclusively with Wulfgar coming to grips with his personal demons.

I just got the latest book in the series The Servant of the Shard from Amazon.com.

I also agree completely with Tas about Salvatore's writing style. He is - IMHO - the BEST fantasy writer since Tolkien. I have loved every one of his books that I have read (and I've read most of them). All of his books are a "fast read" with exciting characters and loads of action. I highly recommend them. You can go to Amazon.com and look under his name, or even visit his official website to learn more about the man himself.
Old 12-06-2001, 01:38 PM   #18
Darc_Mind
Dungeon Master

well since everyone seems to agree that drizzt and his adventures are the best i believe he would represent ad&d best on the big screen, i've never read r.a. salvatore, but i have read the DL saga, and many of the books that follow that world, thought they are great stories, the large party of main characters and the epic level of the story line would not tranfer very well to the big screen. I do love dragon lance, but this is exactly why i wouldnt want to seen it on the big screen, i dont think there are the right people out there that could do the movie justice. it wold end up an underdeveloped hack job like the first d&d movie. It would be too long in order to develope each of the character the way the books do. And if they made it short it would be as shallow as the other crappie one they relaeased. I think i may get around to reading the drizzt series, any ideas as to where i should start would be apreciated.
Old 12-06-2001, 01:56 PM   #19
Kaleban
Manshoon

quote:
Originally posted by Dragontooth:

Dude the Movies are about Anakin! The first movie we see young Anakin with lots of FEAR. Fear is the first step that leads to the dark side. Fear leads to anger, and anger leads to hate, and hate leads to suffering. The second movie you will see Anakin move to the second step towards the darkside. Attack of the clones title. It mean that the clone wars is beginning. If you recall in Star Wars A New Hope old Obi Wan told Luke that his father was a hero in the clone wars.
Second movie you will also see Anakin fall in love with the Queen even more charater development. Even though APM was geared towards kids adults understood what was going on. At least I did.

LOL! The most fear Anakin ever shows is a pinched face when Yoda asks him about his mother, and the hangar scene where runs for cover. In the entire movie, that is it. The kid races pods at 4 feet of the ground at 600 mph, and joins up with some Jedi.

I realize the significance of the title, and I know about the Clone Wars. My problem with the title is that it is so generic and lame for a Star Wars movie. Why not: "Send in the Clones" or "Killer Clones from Outer Space", these two are as original and well thought out as "Attack of the Clones." Why not "Inception of Evil", because its the beginning of the Empire, and the Clone Wars are basically a fart compared to the oppression and tyranny that the Emperor is able to bring about.

And my point about the 5-12 range is that it was geared towards children as a marketing gimmick to sell toys. Of course adults understood it, APM had the barest excuse for a plot I've seen in a movie. You'd have to be a total moron not to see that Jar-Jar, the sub scene, and various other points were excuses for Legos and Action Figures.
Old 12-06-2001, 02:48 PM   #20
Gary Smith
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Actually Servant of the Shard has been out for quite a while, for anyone who wants to know its another book without Drizzt!!! But i must say that it was one of his best. It centers around Jaralaxe and Artemis, the two best characters along with drizzt in my opinion. The newest book is out and its called Sea Of Swords. Enjoy
Me: What!! you cant kill me!<br />GM: I can do anythink i want.<br />Me: What did i do!!<br />GM: Your not being a party player<br />Me: Im Neutral Evil for Gods Sake!<br />GM: So your calling upon the gods of ravenloft to save you then.<br />Me: what....<br />[GM rolls the D20]<br />GM: Well thats a 15, added on 5 for all those graves youve robbed in the past adventure, thats a 20. Powers check please.<br />Me: Oh Cr*p.<br />[Me rolls D20]<br />Me: I got a 5<br />GM: Your still alive.<br />Me: Woohoo!!<br />GM: But your now half goat.<br />Me: Oh... WOOHOO!!
Gary Smith is offline   Reply With Quote