Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 01-07-2001, 01:51 AM   #1
JDH1004

I just finished the game and although I found the story well crafted I was a little disappointed by the wimpiness of Jon Irenicus. The whole thing with him and the queen of the elfs once having been lovers is kinda lame, I think its been over done, oh by the way who the hell would want to do Irenicus what an ungly ■■■■■■. Getting back to my point I really am disappointed by the final battle it took me 5 minutes real time to finish him and none of my characters really got hurt. I had taken out the demons quickly and then cast Time Stop from the scroll I found then a cast Spellstrike from another scroll and some withering spell from a scroll and poof Jon Irenicus is no more. Personally I think that the Mind Flayer lair and the Beholder lair where MUCH more difficult. It took me three days to clean out both of those lairs. In fact I would say that the battle in the bridge district the one that gets you the Staff of the Magi was much harder.

I also had the same problem with Balder's Gate 1, Sarevok was major wimpastic only his mage friends made the battle somewhat challenging. In that three or four arrows of detonation and then some acid arrows on Sarevok and thats all she wrote. By the way what happened to arrows of detonation. They were cool, but I will admit a little to unbalancing.

Old 01-07-2001, 01:58 AM   #2
Archlich Azuth

you git it took me two days!!!!!!! and he only ulgy because the been striped of his elvenesse and everyone know evles are pretty. and he used magic to extend his life. frankly i think that there sould of been a different ending of each love story.

Old 01-07-2001, 02:13 AM   #3
Sabre
Elite Waterdeep Guard

G'day!

I just finished the game yesterday! I thought the fact that irenicus & that Elf Queen were lovers was lame but everything else was cool!
That final battle was quite hard, one of the hardest in my opinion! I managed to kill the demons reasonably easy (I summoned fire & earth elementals etc and took potions) but the Slayer form of Irenicus was not easy in mho! I had to turn into the Slayer in the end to finish him off!
Were you playing on EASY std or something?

Overall excellent game with a few minor bugs. Quite well balanced... I hit the EXP cap just as I entered the Elf city (Chapter 7!).

Sabre
Old 01-07-2001, 02:14 AM   #4
bocaj

I also thought that last battle was way to easy but still fun. I beat it the first try and didn't use any cool items just magic and swords. Well they were good swords and good magic but nothing special. As for the story, I really liked it and the last vidio was great. hehe poor Jon Irenicus

Old 01-07-2001, 09:16 AM   #5
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

There are a lot more battles in the game that are harder than the final one. I thought the twisted rune was tougher, then again i was a lot lower in level then. in the final battle i managed to cast insect plague first and that was pretty much the end of him.
Old 01-07-2001, 10:29 AM   #6
Ramon

For me only the first part of the final battle was hard - the demons. Both Aerie and Imoen were almost killed. The reason, I think, is related to the makeup of my party (fighter/mage pc, Minsc, Jaheira, Keldorn, Aerie and Imoen) and my combat routine. While four of them can tank reasonably well, there is usually only Minsc who won't cast at all. In a battle like this where there are enemies coming at you from very angle that is not enough to maintain a stable front line to protect the more vulnerable spellcasters.

The second part against Irenicus was really relatively easy.

So long,

Ramon

Old 01-07-2001, 10:50 AM   #7
Zoratorak
Welcomed New User

hmm... i found those demons to be rather nasty... although i won in the first time... some of my char died right away ( i never became slayer once... only experemented then loaded back...im a goodie two shoes) since im a mage, and made a multi party with 3 others + 3 Npc i had a wee bit of a hard time tanking up since i usually like long range and my frontline isnt exactly desirable cept misc... the only time that was soo cool in the final battle was when i casted abi dazhim on irenicous ... at the same time 3 of the demons died instantly ... (it was fun to watch all 3 of them die at the same time)

to be truthful the only thing i liked in the final battle was the music... and only the music when Misc said as the music went to its climax "Evil meet sword, Sword meet eeeeevvvvviiiiiiiilllll!!!!!!!" (sniff made me cry on that one)

can you believe i killed irenicous with only skeleton warriors and an archer bowing at him... wierd...

also the creators of bg2 should have given you the option if you want to make a skeleton warrior or archer... archer is soo cool too you know... i met one when i was in Spellhold when i finally killed the vamp to open the stone face that is blocking my passage... hmm... i remember that one quite clearly... heh
Old 01-07-2001, 10:57 AM   #8
Rikard T'Aranaxz
Harper

Edwin kept on diing on me
beside that
the Slayer was weak eventhough he does regenrate pretty fast

i think the earlier battles were harder becoz you were weaker
i tried to kill firkraag befor going to the asylum (at level 13 mage or somethin)
and kept on getting killed by him
before the end battle i went to firkraag
and he died so quikly it wasn't fun anymore
Old 01-07-2001, 02:55 PM   #9
JDH1004

To answer one persons question no I had my game set on core rules throughout. One of the reasons perhaps my game was easy was I meticuluosly completed every part of the game including the quests before I went and saved Imoen, Second I was playing a multi-player game so I could have my own players instead of NPC's which I think are weak. I play a primarily fighting party that has magic as a backup so most of my characters could go toe to toe with the demons. That and I had every good magical item in the game. I have to tell you seeing Keldorn with the girdle of stone giant strength and Carsomyr and Misnc with the girdle of Frost Giant strength and Warblade right next to each other kickn' ass is a sight to see. The demons diden't have a chance.

Old 01-07-2001, 03:33 PM   #10
Nebuchedrezzar

i found the last battle the hardest of all beacuse i was playing as a very powerful ranger with godlike stats beacuse he came from bg1 & had tomes.he was too good perhaps beacuse i only had 4 people in my party just me imoen,aerie,heardalis. the demons took ages with one fighter and the slayer was hard becuse of the regeneration. By the end the only one left alive was me.
The twisted rune battle i found very easy as i just equiped my ranger with protection from magic and used a wizzard eye to lure them out one by one and the rest of the party was just stuffed into the passage.

the ending movie is dissaponting i think. Irenicus should end up being tormented by a million screaming demons or something impressive not just fall off a cliff with a few shadows. The bhaal priests at the end though are good with their mysterius comments