Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2003, 09:27 AM   #1
dominions
Elminster

First off I'd like to apologise if this posting is in the wrong part of the forum. I do have NWN SoU, though (honest [img]smile.gif[/img] ).

I'm currently creating (and have almost finished) a NWN module based on the Champions of Krynn gold box game.

Question 1: The module is getting rather slow and ponderous. Size-wise it's about 1.6MB (rar)/4MB (zip)/20MB uncomressed. I'm going to have to do something about this if the module is going to be playable on slower PCs.
Now. Should I a) split the module into two sections? or b) have each area's onEnter event script create the monsters/NPCs as the player enters?
I tend to favour a) personally, but i don't know what carries over from one module to another. Do the variables attached to the player? Are there any down sides?

Question 2: The Secret Wall Doors (not the Trap Doors) don't work properly since I updated to SoU v1.32 . They all appear the instant the module is loaded instead of doing the required Will check. Does anyone know how to get around this?

Question 3: Does anyone know of a decent graphics hak-pak for draconians? I've looked on the NWvault website, but none seems to work.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Well, that's all folks!

[ 11-20-2003, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: dominions ]
[img]\"http://www.shalewyn.com/Images/KrynnWhiteDragon1.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />\"Hah!\", thought the white dragon. \"A wand of Ice Storm will never harm me!\"<br />He never did figure out that he was in a CRPG...
dominions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 11:19 AM   #2
philip
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by dominions:

Question 1: The module is getting rather slow and ponderous. Size-wise it's about 1.6MB (rar)/4MB (zip)/20MB uncomressed. I'm going to have to do something about this if the module is going to be playable on slower PCs.
Now. Should I a) split the module into two sections?
it'll help a lot i think. It's also easier to use for you as there are less scripts and such. also you put out the parts once they're finished so players don't have to wait long time. While the parts are being palyed you can get feedback which you can use on the next part. these are some advatanges though if you're already nearly finished with everything (or so i understand) j

Quote:

or b) have each area's onEnter event script create the monsters/NPCs as the player enters?
you can also use encounter triggers for this. most of the time it's better to create the monsters and npc's via triggers as itr'll save alot of time

Quote:

I tend to favour a) personally, but i don't know what carries over from one module to another. Do the variables attached to the player? Are there any down sides?

the stats and weapons. local variables aren't exported as far as i know. i think the downside is that players will play unbalanced if they use too good weapons which they got from other modules. that's why i strip the items and give some items for my module. if needed i also level-up or level down PCs. however do warn the players as some might not like it!

for your other questions i don't know but what do you mean by the haks don't seem to be working, just for you or not at all

[ 11-20-2003, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: philip ]
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 12:25 PM   #3
Legolas
Jack Burton

To answer question 1, the more recent patches included new scripting commands that'll allow you to link modules together into one campaign. That should take care of most of the variables you want to carry over. The rest of them you can link to items which you give characters when they exit one module, and which you take away after they enter the next.
With such wonderful technology at your command, it's definately possible to just split it up into various mods that are interconnected.

Most hakpacks will be v1.31 or less. You'll have to wait until someone updates theirs to 1.32 before you can implement them succesfully.
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 01:47 PM   #4
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

You should consider caching certain Onheartbeat (or the like) scripts in the module properties section.

There is an amazing draconian hakpak made but it ain't released yet. It was made by the guys over at the Dragonlance Project (DLA) which will be released pretty soon.
Old 11-20-2003, 03:38 PM   #5
dominions
Elminster

Thanks for the advice, Guys. If what Legolas says is true, then I'll split my champions of krynn module into two: upto Sanction will be in one and Sanction+ will be in the other. This means that part one is already done apart from some side-quests and stuff that I want to put in that doesn't appear in the original game.

[ 11-20-2003, 04:44 PM: Message edited by: dominions ]
[img]\"http://www.shalewyn.com/Images/KrynnWhiteDragon1.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />\"Hah!\", thought the white dragon. \"A wand of Ice Storm will never harm me!\"<br />He never did figure out that he was in a CRPG...
dominions is offline   Reply With Quote