Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-30-2004, 05:54 PM   #21
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Sod It, I have norton. IE will do.
Old 10-30-2004, 06:42 PM   #22
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Beaumanoir (or however you spell that), trust me, Norton is not enough. IE's security flaws can often bypass anti virus and firewall (mostly because of ActiveX, the "Security Zones", and the fact that IE == Windows Explorer == Windows Messenger == Outlook Express == Windows Media Player (!) == bloat). That is not a good thing. And then there's all the spyware, and have you ever been annoyed by a popup? Thought so. And then there's IE's lack of standards compliance... which basically leads to alot of poorly coded sites.

Harkoliar, hackers don't target IE because it's common. Or, atleast, this isn't what contributes to insecurity. As this arcticle points out, if that were true, why is Microsoft IIS a more common target than Apache, which is the most popular web server? No, the target comes for two reasons: 1) It's easy to target due to all of it's security holes, and Microsoft's poor turnover time when they're discovered (one that was rated "Critical" reportedly took 7 MONTHS for MS to fix!); and 2) Because it's Microsoft. Alot of people don't like Microsoft, and so they try to do everything they can to topple Fortress Windows. A good cause (enlighten people), but a bad way of going about it...

Firebird wasn't trademarked, I don't think. It's the name of an open source DBMS (available at SourceForge). So Mozilla changed the browser's name to help prevent confusion. It had another name before that, Phoenix, which was changed for legalities.

Variol, the reason Netscape, Mozilla, and Firefox look similar is very simple: they run on the same layout engine, called Gecko. The mozilla project was started by Netscape in 1997, then moved to open source a few years ago, created Gecko, released Mozilla. They eventually decided to split the bloated beast into separate components, which is what Firefox, Camino, Thunderbird, and Sunbird are. Meanwhile, Netscape was redeveloped on Gecko, and because Netscape 6. Also, Nautilus, Epiphany, Konquerer, K-Meleon, and a few others have been developed on Gecko (although Konquerer I believe can render on either Gecko or KHTML). The benefit of Firefox over Netscape is quite simple: Netscape is owned by AOL Time Warner, who like to plug or even integrate alot of their other products (say, AIM) into the browser. They also like to get some form of money for it, and they do that with the spyware in it...

Also, the people at MozillaZine have a very good way of getting around the confusion of Mozilla vs Firefox (vs Camino): Mozilla is usually called "Mozilla Suite", "the Suite", or its developement name "Seamonkey".
Old 10-30-2004, 07:14 PM   #23
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I used IE for ever, until I re-installed my computer. I got an insane amount of spyware a few days after reinstalling, and I removed all of it except for 1 component that doesn't seem to affect my computer anyway. I couldn't use IE then, so I got used to Mozilla firefox, and now I think firefox is a million times better than IE. Also, viruses are designed for IE, not firefox.

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Old 10-30-2004, 08:02 PM   #24
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

Well... I spent ALL of yesterday downloading Firefox and Opera and setting the settings and adding my bookmarks...

Annd all I needed to do was click accept all cookies...

How can I set it (Opera) to accept cookies from this site? I had typed in www.ironworksforum.com in the cookie manager... but that didn't work...

[img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2004, 06:39 AM   #25
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Cookies are always best from grandma; and I say that 'cos I havn't got a clue what they are in cyberworld.
Old 10-31-2004, 06:51 AM   #26
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Callum:
Well... I spent ALL of yesterday downloading Firefox and Opera and setting the settings and adding my bookmarks...

Annd all I needed to do was click accept all cookies...

How can I set it (Opera) to accept cookies from this site? I had typed in www.ironworksforum.com in the cookie manager... but that didn't work...

[img]tongue.gif[/img]
I'm not sure if this would make a difference, just typing www.ironworksforum.com works for me, but instead try:
http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/noncgi/ultimatebb.php
Old 10-31-2004, 03:36 PM   #27
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Callum, you may want to consider the following cookie settings (the wording could be different in Mozilla than it is in Firefox) - x means selected:
[x]Accept Cookies
[x]From the originating website only
Keep cookies until: [I close Firefox]

This will allow you to log in to every site you care to mention, but will stop cookies from external servers (which are usually tracking cookies from banner ads). This will stop every bit of spyware you come across in its tracks - and the odd ones that get through are purged as soon as the browser is closed - meaning, they find out less about you than if you had it sitting there for ages. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Your problems with adding bookmarks to Firefox should be a mute point, as it can import them from IE, Opera, and any other Gecko browser. If that fails, you can copy bookmarks.html between the two profile folders (usually %appdata%/mozilla/profiles/randomname and %appdata%/mozilla/firefox/profiles/randomname )
Old 10-31-2004, 06:51 PM   #28
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Beaumanoir:
Hang on someone give me a clue here... What's so special about these other browsers? I mean, I've only ever seen IE, what can they do that IE cant?
This was posted at the MozillaZine forums, and about sums up everything that is wrong with IE:
Quote:
[in reference to keeping IE updated]
Only if you're running Win XP. Everyone else, including Mac users, have been abandoned. If past history is any predictor of future performance, I wouldn't depend on that.
[...]
[in reference to IE-only sites]
Er, um. I think I know what you mean. Yes, there are sites that depend on IE proprietary tags and (mis)behavior, including ActiveX. IE with ActiveX enabled is a security risk. ActiveX disabled means the user must diddle with security settings and white lists; is he that knowledgeable? Otherwise if the web author sniffs browsers and refuses to serve to non-IE, then customers are driven off when in fact, most browsers would handle the site well enough anyway.
[...]
IE is obsolete, buggy, non-standards-compliant, and (historically) a walking security vulnerability. There is no sane reason not to switch to a modern browser. Pick one; Moz/Gecko family, Opera, or the khtml family. They are each and every one better and safer than IE.
If that isn't good enough for you, I will gladly send you a 22 page PDF of articles that say similar things in longer ways. One of them even comes from Slate, a Microsoft owned site...
Old 10-31-2004, 07:40 PM   #29
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

July 1st this year I reloaded everything on my computer including changeing my E-Mail address. The reason for this change was that somebody had targeted my computer so that each day I receiver 8 to 10 Trojen Horse Virus and more than 150 ad-ware and spy ware.
10 days after the change it started all over again my Norton Anti-Virus never stopped any of the Virus from comming in back doors and that was the last day I used IE.
On july 10 I loaded the Firefox Browser and the Quintessential Media player. That was the last time I have had any kind of virus or adware or pop-ups or spyware. The firefox browser is 5 to 10 times faster than IE ever was when loading web sites. Ever since July 10 2004 I haven't been dumped from the Ironworks or any other web page. I figure since I have high speed internet it should be high speed and now it is fast, very very fast.
I highly recommend the Firefox browser over IE for both speed and securiety and for just plan ease of use. My other computer has the new Opera 2004 SE browser loaded on it and it has more toys to fool with but isn't half as fast as firefox but just as secure.

GET RID OF IE you will never look back.

[ 10-31-2004, 07:44 PM: Message edited by: TheCrimsomBlade ]
Old 11-01-2004, 03:01 AM   #30
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

Well I have finally settled on Firefox... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I really liked Opera... but it kept crashing...

I preferred Mozilla to Firefox, but for some reason, it has started resetting my bookmarks to those I had several months ago every few days...

And now it appears that I can't automatically log in to TSR or another forum. Ah well... such is life [img]tongue.gif[/img]