Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2001, 09:59 AM   #1
adam warlock
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

.... I just became a HUGE fan of Drizzt! (the dark elf from Salvatore books)
after reading dark elf trilogy and legacy of the drow books

what am I going to do?

adam warlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2001, 11:50 AM   #2
Aurican
Elminster

I guess you are just going to have to read something else...

------------------
Can an elf get a break anywhere these days?

http://angelfire.com/rpg/aurican
Aurican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2001, 08:28 PM   #3
adam warlock

I could see the title in the newspaper now....

'Insane reader found camping at the house belonging to R.A. Salvatore, well-known author of Fantasy novels'

"This guy's CRAZY!" shouted Salvatore, "he was camping on my pouch for the past few days. Everytime I try to sic the police on him, he was screaming: "NOT until you give me the latest story!" I told him that the latest one won't be out in October but all he wanted the one after that.... like I said before, crazy....."
The fanatic reader is now in custody of the police.

Old 06-12-2001, 09:08 PM   #4
Shakir Do'Urden
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Do like the rest of us and read them over and over again. Or build a shrine in your basment

------------------
I will Slay you all
Shakir Do'Urden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2001, 10:47 PM   #5
Axterix
Manshoon

Or just realize that all his characters are god characters and move on to better works *tries to hide his Drizzt collection*
Axterix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2001, 12:48 PM   #6
Balgin
Elminster

I didn't and I haven't!

(I didn't fall in love with Drizzt (possibly due to pronounciation reasons) and I haven't read anything by R.A.Salvatorre (apart from one or two blurbs in adverts for his books that I might have noticed a few words of) but have heard Drizzt fans say that their idea of a good story was a brain/arse switch that realy upset an illithid, in my opinion that falls in to the Pratchettesque humourous line and sort of makes a joke out of the Forgotten Realms in general (as if Ed Greenwood hadn't already done that with wild magic in general (one of our local players added another one thousand and four entries to the wild magic table, one of wich was "caster cannot use any other magic until they have submited another entry for this table) which is good because I personally prefer Greyhawk and Ravenloft to the Forgotten Realms, EVEN WHEN DRUNK!!!!!!)

However, if anyone lends me one of his books and I actually like them I might be persuaded to read some more and maybe even buy some. We shall see (although it does sound a little powergamed to ****) since I prefer gritty fantasy with a slight realistic streak (swords do rust, people don't even try to swim in chainmail, let alone plate etc).

------------------
Balgin, the Dwarf
Balgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2001, 03:48 PM   #7
Axterix
Manshoon

Most of the Salvatore books are serious. While I do enjoy the stories, my qualms about them are mainly two things: drow society and god characters.

Personally, I think D&D drow suck. Unrealistic society that would never work as described. Because they aren't believable, they aren't threatening. They are evil and bad only because it is stated that they are. And the second problem is god characters. Meet the world's most dwarven dwarf, the strongest barbarian, best swordsman, best thief, and the best archer. The problem with god characters, of course, is that you need to throw them up against gods to have a fair fight. And so we get the laughable ultimate assassin and the most god character of all, Jarlaxle, who no matter what, will benefit from every situation.

That being said, much like Eddings, I enjoy reading the stories, even if they do have problems
Axterix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 07:31 AM   #8
adam warlock

Quote:
Originally posted by Shakir Do'Urden:
Do like the rest of us and read them over and over again. Or build a shrine in your basment

shrine? oh yeah! a shrine.... hehe hehhh *eyes Asterix's collection*

Jarlaxle is the best mecenary(sp?) but Salvatore sure do make him read like he's dressed like a court jester....but what Jarlaxle to do in order to annoy the drow matrons?
Old 07-03-2001, 12:11 PM   #9
dominions
Elminster

Well, if you like the Drow & Menzoberranzan, you might try Elaine Cunningham's Daughter of the Drow & Tangled Webs. They haven't got Drizzt in them, though.

------------------
Hey! Like RPGs? See the DungeonCraft - RPG Game Maker on the Ironworks Gaming Forum
dominions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2001, 04:09 AM   #10
Alaric
Manshoon

Have you read the other books that Salvatore wrote about Drizzt besides the Dark Elf Trilogy and the Legacy of the Drow books?

Icewind Dale Trilogy
Silent Blade

Salvatore has also wrote a book dealing with Wulfgar - The Spine of the World, and a book dealing with the Crystal Shard - Servant of the Shard.

Never fear, a new book by Salvatore about Drizzt, Sea of Swords should be release later this year.

------------------
All the world is a stage and we are all actors playing our parts.

[This message has been edited by Alaric (edited 07-08-2001).]
Alaric is offline   Reply With Quote