Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2004, 11:09 PM   #11
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
Ah, I see. I was under the impression that schizophrenia worked much like MPD, ie. different personalities. That (MPD) would really suck in real life, but I have to admit, it's very fun to role-play, lol. I wonder if there's ever been a case in which someone switched personalities in a class, and the teacher thought they were being "smart?" That would be interesting.
Old 10-11-2004, 01:16 AM   #12
Lauren
Baaz Draconian

I'm not sure if this is a disability, but it does cause my uncle not to be able to go out on his own or make any friends... my uncle Emanuel has psychosis, he's suffered with mental illnesses for most of his life... he has bi-polar and severe skitzophrenia, he has to take a lot of medication for everything too, and it always makes him tired.
So, most of his life he has never had friends, never spent time out on his own, never gone out to have fun... he just stays at home and lives with my grandmother (his mother).
My uncle is a wonderful man but it's sad to see him not being able to go out or make any friends.
That's why when I have plenty of money, I am going to go to where he lives (Melbourne) and I'm going to take him on a holiday [img]smile.gif[/img] I think he deserves it.

By the way Hivetyrant you have a beautiful daughter [img]smile.gif[/img]
"So many thoughts running through my head, I know what you feel, I know what you dread; When a room's filled with laughter, when a room's filled with lies, you're the only one I know that's in disguise..."
Old 10-11-2004, 01:31 AM   #13
Dave_the_quack
Baaz Draconian

LOL Lauren, thats Hive's sissy, not daughter. If he has a daughter at his age, then, WOWZA, good luck with that matey

Its good that the thought was there though.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:54 AM   #14
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I have had two professors teach the class that Multiple Personalities are a myth and not real. Although somebody who is sick can act as though they are two different people, the truth is that it is the same person just playing two parts instead of two seperate individuals, like some people are misled to believe.

I have a question about the Goldenhar Syndrome. The article said that an accident occurs in the womb that causes blood flow to stop and then the damage begins...and that this is not an inherited trait. My question then is about what happened? Did your mom get hit in the stomach? I know that my mom was hit by a car and knocked down an embankment into a creek when she was pregnant with me, and had to be rushed to the hospital to be checked out. I also know of a 17 year-old hispanic that worked for my company a few years ago on an assembly line and her sleeve got caught and it dragged her up to the band where her pregnant body was pressed hard against the machine until I leaped across the band and kicked the machine off. I rushed her to the doctor to be looked at, (and everyone thought I was her husband, which made for an interesting time at the doctor...), but however, in both cases my mom and this girl was checked out as okay. Could this disability have occured easily in these circumstances?

[ 10-11-2004, 09:56 AM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 10-11-2004, 07:33 PM   #15
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Well, I dont know about that one Larry, there has always been confusion over how the syndrome is actually caused, some say that it is because a lack of blood flow, some say it is becuase of other problems during pregnancy. My mother never really found out how it was caused, if it was a hit to the stomach, she might have told me that, but my dad told me one night that some doctors had told him that it may have been because of some injections he had recieved not long before, he was in the RAAF (Royal Australian Air Force) and travleed overseas quite frequently and had to have many injections, but it was only a suggestion, and doesnt seem very likely.
I think my parents have decided not to follow up what caused it, unless they already know and they havent told me.....
I think the reason in the article seems alot better than anything I have, so if he is right, then I suppose yes, in both those cases, it could have been possible for you or that girl to have the syndrome.

lol Dave, yeah if she was my daughter, then I would have been 2 when I got her mom pregnant...
Old 10-12-2004, 12:00 AM   #16
Lauren
Baaz Draconian

Smiley

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave_the_quack:
LOL Lauren, thats Hive's sissy, not daughter. If he has a daughter at his age, then, WOWZA, good luck with that matey

Its good that the thought was there though.
Heh heh heh... whoops sorry about that Hivetyrant... didn't realise that, I must have a look at your profile to see how old you are...lol
once again sorry about that... and thanks Dave for pointing the mistake out for me [img]smile.gif[/img]
"So many thoughts running through my head, I know what you feel, I know what you dread; When a room's filled with laughter, when a room's filled with lies, you're the only one I know that's in disguise..."
Old 10-12-2004, 12:30 AM   #17
halyfft
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Your sister looks like such a sweetie!
One of my cousins has a son who's bipolar. Another cousin's son has Tourette's. I got hit the worst, though. My daughter has autism, apraxia, sensory intergative disorder and who knows what else. To top it off, she's very intelligent and her frustration leads to wicked self-abusive tantrums.
She's also the most loving, wonderful kid in the world. I don't know what I'd do without her.
The best coping method: a good sense of humor.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:03 AM   #18
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Lauren:
Heh heh heh... whoops sorry about that Hivetyrant... didn't realise that, I must have a look at your profile to see how old you are...lol
once again sorry about that... and thanks Dave for pointing the mistake out for me [img]smile.gif[/img]
Dont worry about, there is no need to apologise.

And Haly, you very right, a good sense of humor does help, although Taryn(my sister) cant really talk, she can almost say basic things and still understands alot of what we say, so she knows how to make people laugh.
Just wondering, how old is your Doughter? At my sisters school, there are many kids with problems like that, and its sometimes hard to tell the ages of them.

[ 10-12-2004, 01:04 AM: Message edited by: Hivetyrant ]
Old 10-12-2004, 08:39 AM   #19
RevRuby
Fzoul Chembryl

LARRY- read sybil. i can see how it could be true. in fact i beleive it. sometimes i wonder about myself actually. the way they describe lost time and sybil never being able to multipy well because one of her others learned it while in control, i once had a similar problem in 2nd grade, and i still can't do those stupid break the code things where letters are switched around. the abuse in sybils case was horrific performed by a schizophrenic (her mother) and ignored by her father. if you could black out during some of the things done to her, you would.

schizophrenia can give you another life. but it's like a day dream and will stay locked away unless something triggers the effected person to talk about it.

okies---problems in our family? none yet, still popping out kids tho. we have thyroid problems, hoshimoto's disease on my side of the family, and carol may never be able to drink cows milk and the soy formula/soy milk may cause her to develop hoshimoto's disease sooner than even myself (24.) on nathan's side of the family his mom and 2 uncles were born without functioning thyroids, 1 was mentally retarded before dr's found it.

and a close friend's son is autistic. it is hard to treat him as a normal two year old since he is about12-16mos in development (less than in language, but i'm used to language problems) he is however adorable!

your sister is beautiful, love her name. wish her a great big happy birthday from us!
Old 10-12-2004, 11:52 PM   #20
halyfft
Elite Waterdeep Guard

And Haly, you very right, a good sense of humor does help, although Taryn(my sister) cant really talk, she can almost say basic things and still understands alot of what we say, so she knows how to make people laugh.
Just wondering, how old is your Doughter? At my sisters school, there are many kids with problems like that, and its sometimes hard to tell the ages of them.

[ 10-12-2004, 01:04 AM: Message edited by: Hivetyrant ]

Kelsey is almost 15, but looks younger. (Would share a picture, but have no idea how.) She has been working on speech for years. First, she taught herself to read. Then she learned to verbally spell words one sound at a time. She's now learning to blend those sounds into complete words. Her language is very delayed, but also understands much more than she can express. The apraxia really messes her up. She has an incredible vocabulary and did grade-level science last year.
When she was little, no one thought there was much hope for her. They thought I was delusional when I said she was smart. I'll never forget the looks of astonishment when she passed a reading test.
Keep your sister full of confidence and encouragement. It's amazing what they can do when motivated!