Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 07-07-2002, 03:50 PM   #1
Bomb
Dungeon Master

Ok, decided to try something different, because the levelling is getting too slow for my liking with my current 6 member party at near level 20 (tho I probably get back to that game sooner or later, just need a distraction)

Here's what I created:
Elf Bishop
Human Samurai
Farie Ninja (tired of hearing how good CoC without having a chance of using it )

Look good? Having second thoughts on leaving out my trusted ranger already tho... And I just realized they're all females. Was there something special I need too keep in mind because of that?

Around levels 6-7 now, and all well trained in stealth. First I thought I wouldn't bother, but after a lot of reloading because of bishop's untimely deaths from one blow I surprisingly changed my mind

Thoughts? Advise?
Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 09:56 PM   #2
otter
Elminster

Looks like fun, my only disagreement is with having a Bishop at all, that's what i pared down from my 4-member parties. Usually one Alchemizer is enough, and i like trios to consist entirely of high AC and heavy damage characters. The most important skill for my groups is Haste, so i don't need points in speed for everyone. I've had a lot of success with a Bard who pumps Music with Viola d'Amore and switches to Fighter at L9 total (one Rogue level, you know...) Then she plays Rousing Drums to speed everybody up, and berzerks with X-Cal. Another group uses a Monk for Haste, though she has lower AC, i included her for Zatoichi. Biggest complaint about her was it took to L12 to get Haste.
I'd have played a Lord instead of the Bishop, then you get all the spells you absolutely need, and a high AC killer. (i like to dual Maces, the Mauler's Mace bonus really kicks Diamond Eyes through the roof) Valk wouldn't be too bad, either.
No problem with being all-female, just at that one point in the game you have to dismiss any male RPC's you might have (WHY?) along.
Or just pump Speed for the Bishop, that'll help with AC, too, when it gets around 100, and you get an Ankh of Speed. Or two. Nobody else needs speed, the only place it matters is in combat, and if you have a FAST bishop casting Haste, it counts for that round right away, so everybody can get first licks in, given their required speed as Sam and Nin...
Make sure you practise Alchemy for the Ninja, she won't be able to throw stuff when she's got the Cane (unless you waste a Bishop round to uncurse her...) so her casting will be important.
If you really want some excitement:
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
P
A
C
E
If i have a Bishop, i usually sneak into the Mountain Wilderness around L8-10 via the Northern Wilderness to get the Staff of Doom in the Waterfall. Most of the time i can drag all the mobs around the hill without getting in Combat, then run to the falls. Very few will follow if your Stealth is up and you're quick about getting the loot. Buy stuff from Bela, too. The only fight i've never been able to avoid is the Sprites up by Bela. He won't help, either.
otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 10:20 PM   #3
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

I think you will have an easier time with a solo faerie ninja.
Old 07-07-2002, 10:27 PM   #4
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

I am starting a 4-member IM expert party myself with Valkyrie, bishop, bishop, bishop. I think they can pull it off without any training. The valkyrie can change to fighter later in game.

The problem is always getting out of monastery. Then things will be easier (I think). Seems like you always meet alot higher level monsters with smaller parties. I mean, I tried to play once, and I got attacked by 11 dusk bats at level 3 in the lower monastery! I think the reason though is that I moved around too much back and forth.
Old 07-07-2002, 11:33 PM   #5
otter
Elminster

Yah, you can get some harsh luck down there. I think Arnika Road is much worse, though, and has some interesting extremes:
I just took the latest of 2 Trios down The Road, i reloaded for a total of three runs each:
Gad, Bar, Ran, av. L9; first run: 2 Siges with 4 Roustabouts each and 4 Crimson Poppies and 2 Wasps and 6 Highwaymen, then around the first corner 6 Juggernauts and 3 Acidvines.
Second run: 2 Wasps, 3 Acidvines, 4 Highwaymen.
Third run: one Sige with 4 Roustabouts, 6 Highwaymen, 4 Crimson Poppies, 2 Wasps.
Lor, Bar, Ran, av. L5; first run: 2 Wasps, 3 Acidvines and then 4 Highwaymen.
Second run: 8 Bandits, 6 Highwaymen, 2 Wasps, and a Creeper.
Third run: 2 Wasps, 6 Highwaymen and then 4 Highwaymen.

[ 07-07-2002, 11:35 PM: Message edited by: otter ]
Old 07-08-2002, 01:10 AM   #6
Bomb
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by otter:
No problem with being all-female, just at that one point in the game you have to dismiss any male RPC's you might have (WHY?) along.
Because being the only male he'd get the wanted status? And didn't remember the solution was that easy, thanks

And I had loads of trouble making decisions when thinking which classes to include in my party. Mainly because I would have also wanted a fighter, ranger and a bard in that group, but then it would have been a 6 man group again (without multiclassing) Ninja and samurai were musts for me, and after considering hard, I decided to keep bishop in the formation, just love to have lots of options when it comes to magic [img]smile.gif[/img] Might turn her into a fighter at later game, tho she'll be severly crippled hitpoints wise as a tank, but can't help... [img]smile.gif[/img]

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E
Dunno if that was absolutely necessary, but never hurts to be cautious I guess

Gotta try the staff of doom, one thing I just don't get. How do you avoid even getting in combat on that narrow mountain road...?? Care to offer some more insight on this one? And what do you use to counteract the -1 hp generation (it did have that, right?) at that point of game? Just reload long and hard untill you get one of those, umm, amulets from some of the merchants in Arnika?
Old 07-08-2002, 01:27 AM   #7
otter
Elminster

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
P
A
C
E
Well, usually i go to Crock anyway, on my way, my route is usually Arnika->Crock->Mine Tunnels->Martin's Bluff-(teleport)->Gigas->Mountain Wilderness.
I usually run to Bela, nothing's on the road yet then, except the Sprites, and if i have Chameleon and 100 Stealth, just hiding behind the trees will make most of'm wander off after a while, as long as you don't get in combat.
Lately i've been playing an older patch, i get to PP Dragon Kite from Burz and Antone, Dragon Cloak from He'li, and even if i do have to run from combat with scorchers, at least they don't do max.
But Crock sells Amulets of Healing, and there's one in MB, too.
Old 07-08-2002, 01:32 AM   #8
Bomb
Dungeon Master

Oh, was thinking almost straight route from monastery to mtn wild, and that -1 you-know-what was worrying me

Great tip, thanks
Old 07-08-2002, 01:45 AM   #9
Bomb
Dungeon Master

Slightly off topic, but is there a way of getting to a lower patch without reinstalling the game? I mean, can I install an older patch over the newest one without screwing up my Wiz8? With that smaller party I'm starting to want to use PP'ing alot more than I have so far...

[ 07-08-2002, 01:48 AM: Message edited by: Bomb ]
Old 07-08-2002, 06:22 AM   #10
Oruboris

My 4 hobbit party with 2 bishops is working well: saved 3 spell picks each for them. Just hit level 15, only about half way through the game in terms of ground covered-- as you've noticed, later in the game, the encounters are worth a LOT more.

Both have 80+ in their 2 'primary' books [wiz/psi and alc/divine], mid 20's in their secondary [can now learn level 3 spells] and mid teens in their 4th. both have 100 pie and int, plus bonuses for helm of brilliance and philosophers sheild.

Very important to have an alchemsit in such a group: have already spent more money in this game than I earned in my last one... so MANY spell books to buy!

I'll use vampire chain for one, ebon staff for the other, slings for both-- they just don't need to hit so often that I worry much about building weapon skills.

Oru
Oruboris is offline   Reply With Quote