Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 02-23-2002, 11:08 AM   #1
Lansadar
Welcomed New User

I dont really understand how or when to duel class.
I started the game as a Kensai, and i want to duel class to a mage, but when should I ? early, later on ? Also, once I level the mage past the level of the Kensai will i become a multi class type, or will i only be a mage with kensai powers up to its lvl ?

Thanks alot
Lansadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 11:44 AM   #2
Morgan_Corbesant
Symbol of Cyric

most people say do it at level 13. this gives you better saving throws, and an extra 1/2 attack per round.
Morgan Corbesant, Elven BladeSinger, Captain of the army of the Seldarine<br /><br /> [img]\"http://www.rleeermey.com/images/linkbanners/usmcredwhiteblue.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />Protector of Elves<br />Slayer of Orcs<br /><br />ALL YOUR BASE, ARE BELONG TO US!!!<br />I DON\'T FIGHT FOR HONOR, I FIGHT TO WIN!<br />\"One who is a samurai must before all things keep constantly in mind, by day and by night...the fact that he has to die\". <br />-Daidoji Yuzan-<br />16th Century
Morgan_Corbesant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 11:51 AM   #3
J'aran
Mephistopheles

quote:
Originally posted by Lansadar:
Also, once I level the mage past the level of the Kensai will i become a multi class type, or will i only be a mage with kensai powers up to its lvl ?

The latter. The first class won't improve after you dual, so if you dual at, say, kensai level 13, your kensai level will stay 13 no matter what mage level you attain.
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 03:01 PM   #4
Lansadar
Welcomed New User

Ok, so i duel class a fighter at lvl 13, to a mage, when the mage hits lvl 14, he can do everything a fighter can do, hack and slash, as well ass cast spells waring armor and the sort ?
Old 02-23-2002, 03:17 PM   #5
robo donkey
Manshoon

No. The restrictions that apply to Multi-Classed characters apply to Dual-Classed ones. So a Fighter/Mage of either Multi or Dual-Class CANNOT cast spells whilst wearing armour (all though he/she can wear armour, but at a penalty of not being able to cast). This is why Kensai is a good one to dual from, no armor. Also Cleric/Thief cannot use thief skills whilst wearing full plate, plate, splint or mail armour, he/she can wear full plate but not use thief skills at the same time. And a .....

.....you get the idea!
robo donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 03:19 PM   #6
Jim
Quintesson

Once you have surpassed level 14, you will gain all your fighters previous abilities (THAC0, saves, proficiencies etc), and will be able to use any equipment that a fighter can use, however, to use your mages abilities (i.e. cast spells) you cannot wear armour (later in the game, you can aquire some that will allow you to cast spells whilst wearing it, but anything other than elven chain mail will not allow you to cast spells).
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 06:48 AM   #7
Faceman
Hathor

I prefer to dual-class (with a fighter as primary) immediately at the beginning for the following reasons:
1.) You regain your abilities at the end of chapter I
2.) You can use the proficiencies you get at lvl 8 to obtain
grand mastery in your weapon of choice and ++ in your favourite weapon style.
3.) Because of 1.) you'll play the game as a straight char with very nice fighting abilities for your class.

I recommend to always dual, if you want to play a mage, because that allows you to wear ElvenChain and Helmets (no casting restrictions)
Old 02-24-2002, 02:25 PM   #8
Lansadar
Welcomed New User

Thanks guys, ton's of help !
Old 02-24-2002, 02:37 PM   #9
Nifft the Nimble

Hi Lansader!

It depends on why you're dual-classing. If you want to be a Mage who can use swords, shields and helmets, dual early. If you want to be a kick-butt fighter who then goes on to be a great mage, dual late. In my opinion, it's better to be multi than dual if you want to excel in both classes.

Of course, being a Kensai means you won't ever be able to use shields or helmets ... so a bad choice from my perspective. Power Gamers (tm) love this combo, though.

My favorite dual-class combo is: Priest of Helm -> Mage. You get some very nice back-up healing powers, free True Sight, that silly sword power, and you can wear helmets and use shields. Also, you get a better selection of weapons: there are some very nice maces, flails and hammers in the game. As a back-up healer, you ought to be able to cast Lesser Restoration at least once per day --- this is very helpful if your main cleric gets severely level-drained.

-- Nifft
Nifft the Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 03:53 PM   #10
ULockit I Stealit
The Magister

A question that falls into this Category:

I am soloing and I wanted to Dual a Barbarian with at theif but that is not possible so I chose a Berzerker and dualed at level 13, and am now catching up. Should I have waited to Dual as there is something that I get from Lvl 14 Berzerker that I wouldn't get from Lvl 13. Like the Kensai extra attack from 12/13?

Just curious as there are a lot more knowledgable people here than elsewhere.

Thanks,