Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2012, 06:38 AM   #1
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Crazy PlayStation 3 finally got the YLOD.... (old version) -- FIXED IT with Reflow/Flux!!!!

Well, my PlayStation 3 'fatty' got the Yellow light of death... it lasted a loooong time, but I'm going to borrow a friends external hard drive USB and try to do the re-flow and add no-clean flux and fresh thermal paste on the dead ps3 to see if I can get it working long enough to transfer my saved games... I would REALLY hate to lose all those saved games... ugh.. I don't pay for PS Plus.. I'm turning in my 360 and all the games and some other things to get the $249 slim model... HATE the look of it, but oh well...

Main things I want saved:

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning saves - the game is HUGE and I'm mid-way though.
Need for Speed: The Run - level 40. all cars unlocked.
Monkey Islands...
Dungeon Hunter
Modern War 2 and 3
Battlefield 3

(BTW, if you have an EA game, and log in, do THEY record your level data? or a way to salvage it?)
Anyway, I was wondering when it would die.. since my hand is messed up, and was in a cast for 25 weeks, it was easier to play the PS3 than a PC mouse game and kept my wrist at a correct angle that didn't cause pain as much... (I played the PS3 more than I EVER had.. more than ANY console.. and it got so boring... still got some stuff done though) ..

Anyone here ever do the re-flow or know someone who has? Watched all the vids on it, and I know what to do, but I have arctic silver 5.. isn't that more dangerous if it drips on the motherboard than that white thermal paste?

Will let you know how it goes.. Friend is bringing the USB drive over Weds... (has to be formatted in FAT32 too).. lol...
When I get a new PS3, can I just go to log into the PSN using my old account name and password, and my 'player names' will load up, or do I have to re-make my player name first then log into PSN?

Thanks guys!

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:52 AM   #2
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Default Re: PlayStation 3 finally got the YLOD.... (old version) -- FIXED IT with Reflow/Flux

Well, I got a heat gun and a no-clean flux pen (looks like a paint pen you shake), and broke down the PS3 into parts till I got to the Motherboard... put the flux on the chips indicated on a youtube video series I watched, and used the heat gun on 350c for 20 seconds--while moving in a circular motion--you MUST keep moving or it could overheat.

Also, heat around the board too--the outside of the board--to prevent warping of the motherboard. After you heat it, DO NOT touch it for 20 mins. (Make sure its perfectly level when you heat it)... And I followed all the directions, and wa-la! It works perfectly once again, and my saved games are now backed up on a passport HD.

So if you ever have an old 'fat' PS3 get the yellow light of death, it CAN be fixed many times... If you ever need help, bump this anytime you need to and I'll help you out with all the tools needed. (And vids).

Old 06-19-2012, 12:31 PM   #3
Chewbacca
Zartan

Default Re: PlayStation 3 finally got the YLOD.... (old version) -- FIXED IT with Reflow/Flux

Great! We've got a launch model PS3, beloved for it's complete backwards compatibility. I'll definitely remember this thread if that problem occurs.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:39 AM   #4
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Make sure you get a 700 watt heat gun.. I got a cheap $25 Milwaukee at Home Depot.. worked fine.. also does 1200watts, but ya don't want to use that setting

I LOVE the old one.. and I agree, the backwards compatibility rocks!