Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2003, 07:56 PM   #1
apollo
Dungeon Master

Geez Did you know that the update for version 1.30 or something is 34 megabytes!!! And i have dialup. I only bought my neverwinter nights about a month ago. and i think the patch was out before then!! So i got a two year old game which i bought recently! So it has been on a shelf for ages. PATHETIC!

Apollo

Old 10-06-2003, 02:42 AM   #2
wellard
Dracolisk

I'm with ya bro [img]smile.gif[/img]

here is a link to the discussion a few weeks ago

http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/cg...c;f=7;t=002148

when the update gets to 20mb or so they should give you a free update cd in the box. out in country Australia if you can get 28kbs you are very lucky. What doubly pissed me off was that it was inside a brand new box advertising the SoU expansion pack, not just an old dusty copy on the shelf.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 03:17 AM   #3
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Instead of downloaing the 1.30 patch directly, you can download all the upgrades seperatly.

1.10 to 1.20, then 1.20 to 1.30, or something like that. Look on their websites for the exact numbers.
Old 10-06-2003, 07:57 AM   #4
Link
Jack Burton

Still, Luvian, it is rather unfair of Bioware to 'assume' that everyone has cable internet to download such a thing.
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 08:34 AM   #5
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

The way I see it, computer gaming has always ben unfair to computer gamers. What about those that don't even have internet? Some games are simply unplayable without a patch.
Old 10-06-2003, 09:11 AM   #6
andrewas
Harper

Putting a free update CD in the box sounds like a good idea, but the problem is that its a small production run (higher cost per unit), and then you have to keep track of the different versions and make sure that only recent ones are shipped, and what do you do with the V1.30 boxes when 1.40 with the HotU addons is out and weighs in at 40Mb?

Its a fair amount of cost, and given Atari's (mis)handling of their products, be thankful for what you are getting. Look at ToEE. No official patches because Atari wont pay for them, and the game was rushed out in an unfinished state.

I wont even mention what they did to the XCOM series because I'm not 100% sure how much of it I can blame directly on them, but it wasn't good.

At least with NWN you get patches, new content, and a hell of a lot of support from Bioware.

And a 30Mb download isnt that bad, just leave the comp downloading while you go to the pub. Or most offices/schools/libraries have broadband these days. Use the manual downloads, the autoupdater dosent have download resuming and on a 30Mb patch that can cause severe damage to your hand as you thump the monitor in frustration.
Old 10-06-2003, 09:26 AM   #7
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
Putting a free update CD in the box sounds like a good idea, but the problem is that its a small production run (higher cost per unit), and then you have to keep track of the different versions and make sure that only recent ones are shipped, and what do you do with the V1.30 boxes when 1.40 with the HotU addons is out and weighs in at 40Mb?

At least with NWN you get patches, new content, and a hell of a lot of support from Bioware.

And a 30Mb download isnt that bad, just leave the comp downloading while you go to the pub. Or most offices/schools/libraries have broadband these days. Use the manual downloads, the autoupdater dosent have download resuming and on a 30Mb patch that can cause severe damage to your hand as you thump the monitor in frustration.
Why is it a small production run? you don't have to create a new update cd every month, just once every six months or maybe a year. And if cost is a problem why put old stock into a shiny new box? Just use the old boxes. My guess is the printing of the box would cost more.

Sorry Andrewas a 30mb download IS bad [img]tongue.gif[/img]

All thanks to bioware for the updates, they are a credit to the RPG world, I think the desicion not to put a update cd in the box is out of there hands (Atari?).

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 10:33 AM   #8
Link
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
The way I see it, computer gaming has always ben unfair to computer gamers. What about those that don't even have internet? Some games are simply unplayable without a patch.
True enough. But the fact that games are unplayable is simply due to the fact that production companies make wrong deadlines, so the game is a rush job in the end. Of course deadlines are important, but I would rather want a bugfree game that takes a little while longer than a bug-fiasco that is on time. Just my [img]graemlins/twocents.gif[/img] though...
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 07:07 PM   #9
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Keep in mind that the NWN patches are often more then just bug fixes. They are optional upgrades such as the Gnolls and Kobolts. If you have a 28K Modem, you can't really multi anyway, so you want have an awefull lot of use for the latest patch [img]smile.gif[/img]
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 11:36 PM   #10
apollo
Dungeon Master

Yes but i want to play multiplayer over the internet, since most people have the patch.I want to play over the internet because my brother doesn't play lan with me because he complains that you get half the xp as normal single player.
When i get HOTU will it make my version 1.30?