Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2006, 02:23 PM   #21
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by SpiritWarrior:
but to me the game still runs bad because it is designed bad!
"the game sucks despite how good it is" ?

No idea, any way to check the FPS?
Old 11-04-2006, 03:00 PM   #22
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by JrKASperov:
quote:
Originally posted by SpiritWarrior:
but to me the game still runs bad because it is designed bad!
"the game sucks despite how good it is" ?

No idea, any way to check the FPS?
[/QUOTE]Well that's a silly assumption to make. Why would you put that in quotes as if I said that? I didn't.

The command /tracefps or a program like fraps will measure frames.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:49 PM   #23
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

You were basically saying that you didn't care how good it ran, it was bad anyway just because you decided it was.

Anyway, I get about 20-30 all around. I still can't see why you're complaining if you get 30+.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:18 PM   #24
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

You win "teh assumptions", lol. I wasn't saying that at all. I said it is badly designed and was talking of how it runs and plays on systems currently. You went to town on one line. You didn't even bother to read or reference my previous posting on this thread on the off-chance that it might clue you in as to what I was talking about. You just went out and told me what I meant even though I told you I didn't mean that. You then told me I don't care how good it runs and that it would always be a bad game only because I decided it was. Are you drunk or something? I said none of that.

If you care to check around this forums for at least 3 threads where I posted my own reviews and experiences with this game you will see that. I amn't gonna repeat them here for you since I have already seen what you can do with one line...
Old 11-04-2006, 04:26 PM   #25
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

You should have read my reply on that thread though. There was basically nothing but whining about UI and bad controls, but I and many people haven't had any problems with it. In fact, its way better than that pile of crap nwn1 had for an UI. So stop complaining about stuff that has nothing to do with the game but with your own taste. If you can't figure out the game read the manual a few times.

I'll also add that nothing you said has to do with how the game runs. You're bothered by UI and bad controls, agreeing that the story and all is good, but that has simply nothing to do with how it runs. End of story.

redding are teh hard.

[ 11-04-2006, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: JrKASperov ]
Old 11-04-2006, 04:28 PM   #26
Zebodog

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
BTW guys, try this INI change. It turns off water reflectivity and boosts FPS it seems.

Same for shadows.

http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums...l?post=4452654

Be CAREFUL. Backup your INI first. rar/zip it. Only do this if you understand INI files. [img]smile.gif[/img]

If you use this, let me know how it works for you!
I turned off water reflections and refractions in the game control panel and more than doubled my fps from 20 up to 50.
*Disclaimer: If this thread, or a link within this thread leads you to follow advice that crashes/explodes/burns down or any way damages your system or causes personal stress or hardship, I am in no way responsible for any problems.*
Zebodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 04:38 PM   #27
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
You should have read my reply on that thread though. There was basically nothing but whining about UI and bad controls, but I and many people haven't had any problems with it. In fact, its way better than that pile of crap nwn1 had for an UI. So stop complaining about stuff that has nothing to do with the game but with your own taste. If you can't figure out the game read the manual a few times.

I'll also add that nothing you said has to do with how the game runs. You're bothered by UI and bad controls, agreeing that the story and all is good, but that has simply nothing to do with how it runs. End of story.

redding are teh hard.
But the designers have admitted they didn't do the best job on the UI and said they would patch in fixes for it. The camera stuff is already slated for the next patch. Your taste is obviously not that of the general public since almost everyone agrees the camera and UI in NWN's 1 was easier to use. Sure, this one has more potential but they failed to implement it in a user-friendly gaming sense. The controls you love will be short-lived.

I read your reply btw, I just choose not to comment on it as it was another baiting post telling people what they should do.

Again, not being able to figure out the game is just another assumption you threw on there...why I don't know. You'd know all of the above if you actually read the forums rather than telling people how they should feel, what they did say and that they can't play. In your case I guess reading truly is 'teh hard'.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:44 PM   #28
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Oh yes, the general public!

We love how they think Oblivion is teh best RPG evar!

I still can't believe this. NWN2 has exactly the same UI as NWN1 but with some cute edges and artsy colours and designs. They finally decided to spruce up NWN1's boring black rectangles. Gone is the radial menu but in the same place is a top-down menu which changes absolutely nothing at all. They even added a nice quickcast menu. Somehow, that everybody's complaining says one of a few things. Either everyone is biased because it's not NWN1, or they are overly negative because of some things with the toolset, or something else, I don't care either way. What is troubling me that everyone here is complaining about this. Even you who think the game runs badly while it has a 30+ FPS. You'd think there are some people that can see the UI and controls for what they are. Guess not!

And besides, we finally got a decent storyline and character development and all that jazz, that beats the crap out of NWN1 with it's nonsensical lazy design.

[ 11-04-2006, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: JrKASperov ]
Old 11-04-2006, 05:15 PM   #29
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

I can, they're bad IMO. But instead of telling you that you should see it I amn't. What you are doing is telling us we shouldn't. It is far from exactly the same as NWN's 1. I agree about the horrible black blocks and the quickcast bar is good. It is probably the only thing that works. The controls are horrible though, can you seriously say that your camera and your character AI behaves better and smoother than it did in NWN's 1? Honestly, now.

It isn't bias. I didn't like the controls of NWN's 1 at first but would gladly trade them in place of what NWN's 2 has. I haven't played NWN's 1 in years.

The game is all there. The story is interesting. The problem is these are unacceptable controls for a modern game. They are a step behind at the moment and bad controls can ruin any game since you have to use them 100% of the time. Why is this a cause for major argument? I haven't said I hate the game but just that I hate the controls. The majority of people agree, which makes me feel like it isn't just me.
Old 11-04-2006, 05:24 PM   #30
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Oh yes, the general public!

We love how they think Oblivion is teh best RPG evar!

I still can't believe this. NWN2 has exactly the same UI as NWN1 but with some cute edges and artsy colours and designs. They finally decided to spruce up NWN1's boring black rectangles. Gone is the radial menu but in the same place is a top-down menu which changes absolutely nothing at all. They even added a nice quickcast menu. Somehow, that everybody's complaining says one of a few things. Either everyone is biased because it's not NWN1, or they are overly negative because of some things with the toolset, or something else, I don't care either way. What is troubling me that everyone here is complaining about this. Even you who think the game runs badly while it has a 30+ FPS. You'd think there are some people that can see the UI and controls for what they are. Guess not!

And besides, we finally got a decent storyline and character development and all that jazz, that beats the crap out of NWN1 with it's nonsensical lazy design.
I think the reason people are complaining, Sperov, is because some of us have a reason to complain or provide criticism. I'm getting about 10fps myself, but it's playable, which is the important things. I don't think anyone's complaining for the sake of it.

As for the UI, it's definitely not as slick as NWN1, or even BG2 for that matter. It's not very intuitive - for example, I can't work out how to drag an action from my character menu (when I right click on my character and it comes up with class or racial actions) to the quickbar. Such as something like Lay On Hands for example - does anyone know how to do that?

In my case I withheld all judgment until I actually got the game. Unfortunately my enjoyment of it has been marred a bit by some technical issues, mainly because my laptop, which was state of the art a year ago, is now below NWN recommended specs (though it meets minimum specs).

Hopefully that's all behind me now and I can focus on the game itself, rather than trying to get it to run.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote