Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2002, 02:03 PM   #1
Galadria
20th Level Warrior

Now, as I understand the rating rules, you get 28 points at level 1, to be expended at the following rate:
8-0
9-1
10=2
11-3
12-4
13-5
14-6
15-8
16-10
17-13
18-16
So, going by this, my Chars would be:
VICONIA (Drow elf, True Neutral,female, Cleric, Priestess of Helm) STR-14; DEX-13; CON-14; INT-11; WIS-14; CHA-10
and
SAVING-GRACE (human female, Lawful Good, Paladin)
STR-14; DEX-14; CON-14; INT-10; WIS-10; CHA-14
Is that right? Suggestions? Comments?
Lady Galadria,Goddess\' Equal of the O.R.T.; [img]\"http://havak.db-forge.com/portraits/bitmaps/wlf180L.bmp\" alt=\" - \" /><br />\"Romance at short notice was her specialty.\" - Saki <br />Founder of the IW Branch of the Anti-Anomen Society
Galadria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 06:04 PM   #2
Aar-Daneel
Dungeon Master

hi Galadria,
i'm not new to rpgs (used to play MERP alot, do people still play that?) but i am relatively new to ad&d (used to play abit but never really took much notice of the system) but now that i have gotten back into rpg big time soley because of bg ang bg2 and mod etc am just getting more and more info on rules and stuff (am difinately gonna buy 3ed)
anyway call me long winded back to your point
as far as i know yes you are right about ability point progression however (and somebody correct me if i'm wrong) i'm sure i read that NWN would give 30 point to start.hmmmmmm

so because of the extra deux points vicona cleric could have 15 wis or saving grace (fall from grace?) your pally 15 chr

anyway hope to see you in NWN

ps you seem quite guild/order orientated i'v just registered a char for NWN at NWvault and am looking at guilding never dealt with any thing like this before never even multiplayered any pointed

thank you mi'lady

[ 04-27-2002, 09:54 AM: Message edited by: Aar-Daneel ]
[IMG] [url]\"http://www.yoursighost.com/members/ardaneel/sig1.gif\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.yoursighost.com/members/ardaneel/sig1.gif</a> [/IMG]<br />a meticulous planner may get results, but they miss out on all the chaos
Aar-Daneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 06:07 PM   #3
Aar-Daneel
Dungeon Master

that should have been "pointers" not pointed.
(backs out of the room quietly)
[IMG] [url]\"http://www.yoursighost.com/members/ardaneel/sig1.gif\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.yoursighost.com/members/ardaneel/sig1.gif</a> [/IMG]<br />a meticulous planner may get results, but they miss out on all the chaos
Aar-Daneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 08:26 PM   #4
Encard
Quintesson

Err... very confused. What exactly... 28/30 point ability point progression? Err... is this something new with 3rd edition or... *sigh* Mind explaining?
Encard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 09:17 PM   #5
Galadria
20th Level Warrior

Aar-Daneel, I hope that you are right. 30 would be a LOT better than 28. Your manners are lovely. I shall look forward to playing NWN with you.
Encard, it took time for me to get it, too, but if you have played PS: T, you'll get the idea. Instead of adding points to your stats numerically, you have to "Buy" higher scores. You will be given 28 (or, hopefully 30) points to expend on your character's stats. So, it doesn't just take 1 point to move from 17 to 18, it takes 3! That's why it is so imporant to get everything as high as you can at the start, because you get 1 point more per 4 levels that you gain. That is why I have been feverishly trying to finagle all the 'crucial' scores high, but not too high. There are penalties attached to having too low an INT or WIS, unlike BG and BGII, where a fighter could merely disregard them.
Lady Galadria,Goddess\' Equal of the O.R.T.; [img]\"http://havak.db-forge.com/portraits/bitmaps/wlf180L.bmp\" alt=\" - \" /><br />\"Romance at short notice was her specialty.\" - Saki <br />Founder of the IW Branch of the Anti-Anomen Society
Old 04-20-2002, 06:29 AM   #6
Katherine
Zhentarim Guard

I beleive the point buy system will be up to the DM from what I've read.
Old 04-25-2002, 08:41 AM   #7
Galadria
20th Level Warrior

Katherine, do you knoow what the single player game will require? Because I intend to play SP for a while to buff my char before I go to MP.
Old 04-25-2002, 08:56 AM   #8
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Galadria:
Now, as I understand the rating rules, you get 28 points at level 1, to be expended at the following rate:
8-0
9-1
10=2
11-3
12-4
13-5
14-6
15-8
16-10
17-13
18-16
So, going by this, my Chars would be:
VICONIA (Drow elf, True Neutral,female, Cleric, Priestess of Helm) STR-14; DEX-13; CON-14; INT-11; WIS-14; CHA-10
and
SAVING-GRACE (human female, Lawful Good, Paladin)
STR-14; DEX-14; CON-14; INT-10; WIS-10; CHA-14
Is that right? Suggestions? Comments?
Hmm, well for starters a disapointing thing, drow will not be a playable character.. Only in IWD 2 since they are ECL 2 creatures..
However you can take a normal elf and color it blue and type in the preference as drow instead..
Lat I read on the NWN site FAQ is that the points is 30 at creation.
Other than that the elf class receive a +2 to dexterity and a -2 to constitution. Also I would raise wisdom to 15 at least, at fourth level 16 to gain more spells and have more punch in them. Also would raise charisma to at least 11 otherwise turn/rebuke is vasted on that cleric and most skills comming with that clss is for naught.. Lower dexterity for the +2 and free thoose point using a bigger armour that will anyway make your dexterity plus go to a maximum of perhaps +1 or +2...

For Saving Grace, definately race Wisdom and Charisma since they are the key attributes for the Paladins powers, you need a higher Wisdom to cast the spell (10 + spelllevel) and Charisma gives you divine grace (adds the modifier to saving throws, worth a lot and also are the key ponts for the smite-ya-serves-ya-rite )Also, lower dexterity on the Paladin, raise wis and char and strength and get bigger armour.

Good luck, and check Bioware.com for the NWN faq.

Don´t eat the yellow snow
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 08:57 AM   #9
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

There was a thread that I just read that talked about the single player portion of the game. Let me see if I can remember exactly WHERE that was! lol

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 08:59 AM   #10
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Encard:
Err... very confused. What exactly... 28/30 point ability point progression? Err... is this something new with 3rd edition or... *sigh* Mind explaining?
Nope not really, a tool for DM´s since sometime back to have an option to make equal characters during play and an easy thing for customizing your character.

Don´t eat the yellow snow
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote