Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2002, 08:18 AM   #51
Link
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Whailor:
I think that your problem is that you expected yourself too much from NWN. You have been playing BG, BG2 and so on, and when NWN was announced, you pictured it to be as BG in 3d world. Well, it isn't, it was never mentioned that it will be 3d BG. So basically you blew more and more air into your bubble of imagination, till it popped hard in the end.

I personally see that NWN is quite nice. Sure, it does not compete with BG regarding the deep plot and dialogues and whatever, but it wasn't it's intention anyway. And I like as it is, it's pretty flexible game. And calling me "brainwashed" is a serious overstatement from your side.

I see many modules on the net, people are literally building their own worlds. Show me any other so flexible game. Comparing NWN to Diablo or Diablo2 is rather silly, makes me wonder if you REALLY played NWN at all, or just tried a bit here and there. Or maybe you got too "happy" in the Toolset and overdid something too much.

I personally like NWN as it is, to me it has filled the shoes I expected it to fill. And I knew that this will NOT be a BG-type of game, so I am not dissapointed either.
I was just about to say the same thing Whailor. I think everyone who has played BG & BG2 expected NWN to be some sort of BG in 3D. But it isn't, just like Whailor said. It leans more towards hack and slash perhaps, but it still has some very distinctive RPG elements in it.
From what I've read in this thread, all you guys are disappointed in the game, too many sidequests (have you even counted the sidequests in the BG series?) etc. I can understand you problems perfectly. I myself for instance agree with the fact that your henchman is more a less a dummy, and not some fighting-assisntant. I wanted to give her (I've taken Linu) a better weapon, at first. At first I say, because now (I'm level 12) she has some really awsome spells (spell effects are great BTW).
What I've read as well is the fact that the plot isn't good. Well.. yeah; you aren't a Godchild anymore. There isn't some sort of "End of the World" thingie anymore. It's more realistice. A disease, some mysterious cult behind it. You can say what you want but it is a good story, when you think about the endless (and very bad) games about the everlasting struggle between Good and Evil. I mean; it takes a lot of imagination to make up a story that is interesting for everyone, and on top of that has a very good storyline. IMHO it is even impossible.

To make an ultimate conclusion: NWN is not only a game; it is a way to create your own thing. Make your own world, even change the things that you thought were wrong in the original single-player campaign. IMHO the BG-series had the story, but not the whole 'drag-you-into-the-game' and NWN has the latter part, and the story is lesser. Maybe it's a shame that not everyone's wishes have been accounted for, but then again; nobody's perfect, but I guess that Bioware has made an excellent start in a 3D environment with this game.

Goal: Beijing 2008
Link is offline   Reply With Quote